Low End Theory question...

Reefer Franklin

Beatmaker
I have an MPC1000 and it seems like every time I try to apply the Low End Theory (where you play the sample regular and then layer the sample with a low pass on it to beef up the bass) I get a bunch of phase cancellation going on, am I doing something wrong here?

We had this discussion on L.E.T.a few years ago and I put forward the problem of phase cancellation.
I honestly cant remember the answer in that thread. But one way is to slightly delay(up to 32ms before its noticeably late) the filtered sample. This should stop the sounds cancelling each other out.
The reason i say delay the filtered version of the sample is because the bassline on its own is less perceivable timing wise than a full spectrum sample.
I prefer just composing a bassline. And filtering out any bass from the samples.
I find using LET to be restrictive, and I hate restriction.

Reefer Franklin

Beatmaker
Yeah I mean I've played with filtered samples before, y'know to grab a bass line off of one sample and put it under another, but I always had those phase problems when it was the same sample filetered & non-filtered. So I would just end up replaying the bassline verbatim. Only problem is, I usually attempt to use the Low-End Theory for an atmospheric effect I hear on certain hip-hop records that use LET, and you just don't get that filtered atmosphere from a replayed bassline, but I'll try that with the delay.

You don't happen to know if that LET thread is still on here, do ya?