Lucas Joyer on Major Deals...

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
This guy sounds extremely naive. Of course they're going to try to sell you a dream, that's how it works. I think he was taking things to literal, especially the whole "YOUR PICTURE COULD BE RIGHT HERE!" bullshit. I mean, c'mon man.

This guy sounds extremely naive. Of course they're going to try to sell you a dream, that's how it works. I think he was taking things to literal, especially the whole "YOUR PICTURE COULD BE RIGHT HERE!" bullshit. I mean, c'mon man.
The whole fucking fucked up industry is selling a dream, designed to exploit the hopes and dreams of talented and untalented gullible fools

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
The whole fucking fucked up industry is selling a dream, designed to exploit the hopes and dreams of talented and untalented gullible fools
Exactly. If you look back from the 50's and on it was the same shit. How many stories have we heard of artists back then that got screwed out of everything because they didn't read the contract? That's why to this day artists make most of their money from touring and especially merchandise. Fans need to ask themselves why a big name like Beyonce is selling perfume. (It could also just be greed.)

Exactly. If you look back from the 50's and on it was the same shit. How many stories have we heard of artists back then that got screwed out of everything because they didn't read the contract? That's why to this day artists make most of their money from touring and especially merchandise. Fans need to ask themselves why a big name like Beyonce is selling perfume. (It could also just be greed.)
Exactly its been this way for a very very long time, since the mafia and gangsters were running the music biz. Its what really put me off music for a long time.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Exactly its been this way for a very very long time, since the mafia and gangsters were running the music biz. Its what really put me off music for a long time.
Well, look at all the shit with Suge Knight years ago. Same thing - dude hanging people off the balcony, threatening artists to sign a shitty contract lol.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
The entire “industry” is a farce, may it collapse. All of it.

Yo MTV raps is about as mainstream as hip hop should ever have got, BET was there too. Best times, when hip hop was a niche market, and only had one dedicated show to it. Despite the limited reach, hip hop was so diverse and creative, imaginative, clever with wordplay, from thugged out to intelligent and everything in between. Was so good it became mainstream, and the vultures sucked every bit of soul out of it until it was a spent carcass.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Yo MTV raps is about as mainstream as hip hop should ever have got, BET was there too. Best times, when hip hop was a niche market, and only had one dedicated show to it. Despite the limited reach, hip hop was so diverse and creative, imaginative, clever with wordplay, from thugged out to intelligent and everything in between. Was so good it became mainstream, and the vultures sucked every bit of soul out of it until it was a spent carcass.
That's exactly what I thought. BET's Rap City and MTV's show was it, that's all. No more than that.

It's true though about the limited reach and it was a niche but was also insanely popular.

So in other words, if IllMuzik was bought out by a big corporation, it would have the life sucked out of it? What if I was still on the board of directors?

(Don't mind me, I'm just daydreaming.)

Dj 279 had one show a week which I would record religiously, just to have the bragging rights of having the newest shit first, Tim Westwood also had his show, on Capital and later Radio 1. That was it, one show a week on each. I will never forget the day Madskillz was freestyling to "Coming to America" as it was on the tv and you could watch it as he freestyled in real time, that was fucking epic and one of my most favourite memories in hip hop.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Dj 279 had one show a week which I would record religiously, just to have the bragging rights of having the newest shit first, Tim Westwood also had his show, on Capital and later Radio 1. That was it, one show a week on each. I will never forget the day Madskillz was freestyling to "Coming to America" as it was on the tv and you could watch it as he freestyled in real time, that was fucking epic and one of my most favourite memories in hip hop.
That's what was cool, how we had to wait but when shit dropped we devoured it.

Independent is still part of the industry lol.
Yes of course it is, and will always be the best way to go if you dont want to get ripped off. Own everything.
If it wasnt for the prospect of being an independent artist, I wouldnt bother making music any more.
I just think its harder to find opportunities in a shrinking market, especially when people are more about getting their slice at the expense of the actual pie.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Bandcamp @Fade got bought by Epic Games was it?

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Yes of course it is, and will always be the best way to go if you dont want to get ripped off. Own everything.
If it wasnt for the prospect of being an independent artist, I wouldnt bother making music any more.
I just think its harder to find opportunities in a shrinking market, especially when people are more about getting their slice at the expense of the actual pie.
I mean independents were definitely a good way to go before, particularly if you are niche.

Most indy splits were 50/50 you and the label. Major splits typically 90/10 in favor of the label... however you could still and likely get more on a major than you would on an Indy due to the sheer numbers.

And back when, even if you let them splash the cash on you limos blow private jets hookers and champagne, it was likely actually expensed as a loan you had to pay back... but if you never did make it back, no worries they write it off and you had an amazing time. But they were also getting high off your money.

But rather that than some bland life as a <insert mundane job here> nah?