m audio bx5a or behringer truth b2030a?

T

The Arkitekt

I havn't used either of them, but theres a load of reviews on websites that say that the build quality on both those monitors suck.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
I actually own the Behringers and I can attest that they SUck, the m-audio joints are probably the same. Save up your money can get some QUALITY MONITORS. You'll save a shit load of money in the long run. I think I'm on my 4th or 5th pair of monitors. These KRK Rokit's are the best I've had to date. My Alesis monitor ones were my first. They are and were good, just didn't have the bottom that I eventually needed.

LonChainy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I own the Behringer Truths...AND I LOVE EM!! had em for almost 10 yrs now...an engineer friend that i have A/B'd them with the Mackie's....he told me "these sound quite a bit like the Mack's".....but remember your monitors are only as good as your cables....go Monster or Mogami

T

The Arkitekt

lol fuck monster, might as well go with Mogami if your thinking of spending a lot on cables

P

planetmars

what do u suggest guys?? coz it will be first monitor..and im buyin 2nd hand..

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
I own the Behringer Truths...AND I LOVE EM!! had em for almost 10 yrs now...an engineer friend that i have A/B'd them with the Mackie's....he told me "these sound quite a bit like the Mack's".....but remember your monitors are only as good as your cables....go Monster or Mogami

Cables don't mean much when you're already dealing with low budget gear!

I tell u what...take your truths to guitar center (or what ever joint u got in your neck or the woods), park them right beside some really good speakers like the krk 8's and a/b them. There is no comparing those Truths to krk's....on any level.

I'm not saying this because some one else told me and were trying to pun them off on me(probably what happen to u...lmao..j/l) I'm saying because I have them, alesis monitor ones and krk's right now. My Alesis aren't going anywhere, they're classic, but those False I mean Truths are catching dust in a closet. The most I'd do with them now is connect them to an entertainment center....never again will they monitor my music.

LonChainy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Sorry homie..ive been in several studios..and i used to work in GC...the KRK's cant handle clean bump...they clip everytime..and their high end is mushy....Truths can handle the bump EASILY....AND TRUST ME...IF YOUR ROCKIN WEAK CABLES...YOUR MIXES AINT RIGHT...MONSTER OR MOGAMI.....POINT BLANK

But hell...if you want probably the best monitors for hip hop..go with the classics YAMAHA NS10's...and get a good clean powerful amp and power conditioner....i see em on ebay quite a bit..but be careful buyin monitors on ebay..especially the NS10's they have paper cones...and ive heard horror stories with ebay and monitors

LonChainy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Dream..thats an opinion of some forum member! I have heard the NS10's in ACTION...have you?? it really depends on what your going for...if you want the classic sound, then the NS10's are hot!...here again..it depends on the amp thats pushing them and the cables..i know i sound like a broken record..but its true. If you really wanna get technical...you can mix on anything...as long as you "ref" em with a commercial CD, and know where your freq's lie. I've heard some VERY VERY DOPE SHIT...mixed on Cerwin Vega home speakers....SHIT WOULD BLOW YOU AWAY!! but since we are in the digital age...monitors cater to the hi-fidelity of digital....its really just an opinion..but...to answer dudes original question.....buy what monitor you can afford at the time...and just LEARN THEM...REFRENCE THEM WITH COMMERCIAL CD'S

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
LonChainy do you know what I do for a living??

I can literally use and try out any monitor I want. Check the resume before you talk to much shit
http://www.chrisscheidies.com/?q=node/2

and no its not some forum members opinion its the opinion of the pro audio community, at least the ones that know what they are doing. Trust me I have asked them.

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
c'mon dream, to say there's an endless debate about the ns10's is one thing, but to say that it's a forgone conclusion that all pro's, with any merit, state that it's shit is reaching beyond credibility. the ns10 good vs bad joins the daw wars, mac vs pc, etc as hotly debated, incredibly personal, and no compromise between the two sides...and for most of us, just as annoying to those other endless debates.

to each his/her own. assess your needs, bring a reference cd, and don't forget the importance of one component in the monitoring stage (to varying degrees)

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
those ns10s are for reference, theyre not nearfields and they're good...if you need em. I'm not fond of KRK except for the expose series but they're definitly not budget and to be fair about the whole subject, you're not gonna get any worthy buying for the price you're aiming at. In that case you either save up or get something hi-fi since chances are that you're not in the right monitoring environment either (B&W DM602/603 with a class A amp works very well). The cheapest i can think of that are worthy to place as you nearfields would be stuff like dynaudio bm5a's/bm6a's or adam a7's as they're very good in telling you whats going on in the mix, detailed and accurate. As with all the nearfields, they tend to lack the low end display and all of these nearfields could use a sub (A7 + Sub 8 is very good). Nearfields are not meant to boost or hype, they're not supposed to let you feel how loud and how deep the bass is though they will give you a fair impression. If the case would be so, then you end up with mackie hr which i personaly find to be to excessive, the crossover element in the speaker doesnt translate that well and result is that bass becomes kind of muddy in the low freqs thus damping out bits in the mids (mids are mostly the most critical on any nearfield, thus the usage of the NS10s or auratones for reference). Its safe to say that if a monitor sounds exciting it will fatigue your brain and ears and draws you away from the quality of your mix. Mackie really jumped into this bit and choose to trade the low end boost for accuracy while the dynaudio and adam monitors have focus specificaly on the stereo field and accuracy while giving a sensible display of what the lows are doing in the mix (engineering will say, buy the sub were not going to screw up these specs). Last but not least, Genelec 8030/8040 (8130a/8240a+4050a fed through a AD9200 is the shiznit)which are definitly out of your budget but... this s a good impression of what you can expect when talking about quality nearfields, the rest is really mediocre on which the OEM made a hella lotta money on pretty much selling crap because there is demand...you want nearfields for 300 bucks.. they build them but its a tad bit of shame that they really dont weigh up to REAL nearfields, these budget speakers really destroy that definition of what it takes to actualy be a nearfield monitor.

So go ahead and consume, or save up a bit..its only the most important tool in your setup.