Mac Users

M

Mcrob

Ok I am purchasing a mac and I was wondering, which one should I get..... a EMAC OR A G4 DESKTOP? Even though an emac is cheaper I just wanted to know what are the advantages on a emac and disadvantage? Is it easy to install any types of chips (ram, gbs) on the emac and is it good for recording music.

ez

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

Don't go near that thing for music.

1. There are no PCI slots. 98% of all audio cards sit in the PCI slot. If you get this machine, you will be stuck with its crappy integrated card, or else you will be stuck with getting a USB or Firewire card, which frankly don't always do exactly what they claim.

2. There is no AGP slot, which means you cannot choose your video card. A lot of pros (and even us lowly amateurs) like to use dual monitors in their setups, this requires that you install a 3rd party card like from ATI or Matrox. It does have a video-out port, maybe you can connect another monitor this way?

3. You can only put in 1gb RAM; you can install 2gb in a desktop.

4. You can only put in a 750mhz processor in the eMac; you can run dual 1.42ghz chips in a desktop.

The eMac is basically a toy for kids at school to play with, don't waste your time on it.

If you're SERIOUS enough to want to fork out this much money on a computer for audio, get a real computer!

Take care,

Nick

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
Originally posted by vitaminman
Hey,

Don't go near that thing for music.

1. There are no PCI slots. 98% of all audio cards sit in the PCI slot. If you get this machine, you will be stuck with its crappy integrated card, or else you will be stuck with getting a USB or Firewire card, which frankly don't always do exactly what they claim.

2. There is no AGP slot, which means you cannot choose your video card. A lot of pros (and even us lowly amateurs) like to use dual monitors in their setups, this requires that you install a 3rd party card like from ATI or Matrox. It does have a video-out port, maybe you can connect another monitor this way?

3. You can only put in 1gb RAM; you can install 2gb in a desktop.

4. You can only put in a 750mhz processor in the eMac; you can run dual 1.42ghz chips in a desktop.

The eMac is basically a toy for kids at school to play with, don't waste your time on it.

If you're SERIOUS enough to want to fork out this much money on a computer for audio, get a real computer!

Take care,

Nick

Well said.

MaximeRobin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
The only way I would see someone using an emac to make professionnal music is he just want to sequence sound for a external device with it (mpc or another sequencer). You don't have the prossessor power to handle hd recording or to use virtual sampler. I don't like pc but if you don't have enough money for a g4 laptop (or a powerbook) get a pc. I must say, having a powerbook, that usb and firewire are not that limiting. They're not like pci things tho.

M

Mcrob

Ok so I guess I will get a desktop then. To be honest I wanna switch to a mac you know. I know my last few threads as been about macs. Like just because someone has a pc doesn't mean that I should get one. Like I am a serious producer (that only has a radio shack keyboard, roland um-1 driver, fruity loops, hip hop ejay 1 and 2, cool edit pro, acid 1 and crappy sample cds.) So it's hard to make beats because of the lack of equipment that I got. I am purchasing a Mac first so I can get peak and pro tools and get custom to it, then I will purchase a mpc 2000 then the korg triton, then the sound modules.

:eek:
I ain't giving up.
ez

members online