madlib sample clearence

misch

ill o.g.
i was curious as to how many samples madlib clears on and album to album basis. that guy is very prolific and is a vinyl addict to say the least. every album is crammed full of samples, hard to believe he clears everyone, or does his label just take of it for him? i have to yet read the sample clearance article i found on here, but as i have used alot of vinyl samples lately it has got me thinking about my own productions and not getting caught if i start releasing tunes.

misch

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Sued yet, because he hasn't made that mainstream money, yet....

You will see if he begins getting into mainstream territory...that he will be sued for everything...

PRobably the main reason why he stays under the radar in terms of mainstream music.

misch

ill o.g.
i looked around a bit and it seems early on he definitely didn't give a crap good quote:

"Do you ever run into troubles with sample clearance?
Nah, I'm not on no big label. We ain't no Def Jam. Somebody might pay attention, but not yet. And I don't sample no Rick James or shit like that.

But if you sell a beat to, say, Common or Busta, you're going to have to clear that, right?
They're going to have to clear it. But half of the time I can't even remember the record I sampled! When I make beats, I just pick a record up and go. A lot of times I don't even look at what it is."

thats from and interview he did with scratch pretty good read:

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?...92&__preferredculture=en-US&__ipculture=en-US

seems like on some of the newer stuff there were some delays due to clearance and i even read that alot of his beats won't be released because he doesn't want to deal with clearing some of the samples.

pretty interesting also was this dude put up a sample pack of all the samples from Madvillainy and madlib freaked out and immediately requested that it be taken down. i think 76 people got to download it before it got yanked, i'd really like to hear that pack, word is most of the flips were insane.

http://kevinnottingham.com/2008/03/18/all-samples-are-not-cleared/

DaWorldFamous

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Sued yet, because he hasn't made that mainstream money, yet....

You will see if he begins getting into mainstream territory...that he will be sued for everything...

PRobably the main reason why he stays under the radar in terms of mainstream music.

I was gonna say the same thing..The nigga is dope but he ain't making that mainstream CHART money yet. Once that happens, I'm sure somebody will find him on some shit

DaWorldFamous

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i looked around a bit and it seems early on he definitely didn't give a crap good quote:

"Do you ever run into troubles with sample clearance?
Nah, I'm not on no big label. We ain't no Def Jam. Somebody might pay attention, but not yet. And I don't sample no Rick James or shit like that.

But if you sell a beat to, say, Common or Busta, you're going to have to clear that, right?
They're going to have to clear it. But half of the time I can't even remember the record I sampled! When I make beats, I just pick a record up and go. A lot of times I don't even look at what it is."

thats from and interview he did with scratch pretty good read:

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?...92&__preferredculture=en-US&__ipculture=en-US

seems like on some of the newer stuff there were some delays due to clearance and i even read that alot of his beats won't be released because he doesn't want to deal with clearing some of the samples.

pretty interesting also was this dude put up a sample pack of all the samples from Madvillainy and madlib freaked out and immediately requested that it be taken down. i think 76 people got to download it before it got yanked, i'd really like to hear that pack, word is most of the flips were insane.

http://kevinnottingham.com/2008/03/18/all-samples-are-not-cleared/

I try to tell niggas this same shit
"I'm not clearing jack shit...If ya want the beat, that's between you and your lawyer and the artist"
My nigga Long from Blacksheep had a fierce battle with Herb Alpert over the horns in Flava Of the Month. This nigga Herb wanted all kinds of money, but they paid it because the song would have not been the same without it. Every since that, I try to stay away from the mainstream records, but if it's hot it's hot. I also be forgettin where my shit comes from too, couldn't tell u where most of the shit I do comes from. It's a heat of the moment thang, ya heard. Don't have time to remember when u are working on shit...

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
madlib got clearance for some of his projects. i think it was the "shades of blue" album he got clearance on anything he wanted out of the whole blue note catalog, multi tracks and all.

The Mastermind

This Illuminati Be Illin'
ill o.g.
He's pretty cagey about his samples, I think he's a bit paranoid about his choices being publicised.

A while back one of the mix tape blogs put up a mix using the original samples used on the Madvillain album. Stones Throw started making threats for the site to take it down. Not long after Blogger closed this particular blog down, but just prior the blog was in all sorts of conflict with Stones Throw and really trying to get in the labels face.

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
THEY ALSo TRAVEL A LoT:iF YoU BUY A RECoRD THAT WAS oNLY PRESSED LoCALLY iN SoME FoREiGN CoUNTRY:&:MAKE iT PoPULAR SoMEWHERE ELSE YoU Go "UNHEARD":THE FACT THAT HE DoES is So MUCH PUTS HiM AT RiSK:HiS FLooDGATES MiGHT CRASH oNE DAY BUT HiS PoPS iS A MUSiCiAN:&:HE HAS So MUCH RESPECT FoR THE ART oF CREATiNG MUSiC THAT i WoULDNT BE SURPRiSED iF HE HAD PERSoNAL RELATioNSHiPS WiT SoME oF THE ARTiST HE SAMPLES:eek:R EVEN THEiR CHiLDREN:HiS MUSiC CiRCULATES PURELY iN ARTiST CiRCLES iTS iMPoSSiBLE FoR HiM To FLY UNDER THE RADAR iN MY oPiNioN:Che

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Not for nothing, Guevara, that shit is actually pretty difficult to read.......I read it n all..but found little pleasure in doing so...

members online