makin' a beat!!!!!!

Barock

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yeah, how do I make a good beat?

naah just kidding!

What I wanted to say is, that I started to make a beat at 7:45 pm ( in Germany) and I'll spend the whole night, making it as perfect as possible and continueing it on sunday. So doesn't that sound liek fun? Who long does it take you to bang out a good beat?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Hmmm. For me I would say about an hour to get a nice loop going. Then I let it sit for a while and I come back to it later, so I don't have an exact time to do a complete beat.

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
36 hours at least. I'm too obsessed with sound quality and I dont use any presets so it takes me a while to finish something.

B

BeatOff

10 mins, i need to stop using presets and make my own sounds. If i sample it takes me a little longer. Sample beats take me about an hour and 30- 2 hours to make.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

It usually takes a few minutes to come up with a cool riff, but doing all the other stuff that it takes to make something sound good can take days, weeks or months...usually this is spent figuring out which sounds get used, what rythm patterns, chords and which sounds will be used for the changes, then we figure out an arrangement or two...

When we're 'done' with that, we record everything into a two track, then put it back into Cool Edit to do some more stuff to it, like cuts, filter drops, little reverses here and there, and other things to prevent it from sounding like it came from a MIDI sequencer.

Take care,

Nick

Helios

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
5 lucky minutes (sometimes dayz) to get the heart of the track, hours to compose the rest
some looooooong dayz and night to make it sound like a killa

recording all the shit, effects, compressing, eq'ing...
thats the hardest part of makin a good track
and recording the rap parts hehe ... always repeatin... eieiei

B

BeatTRibe

Yeah a few minutes to come up with da seed, but days to weeks to months to make it complete.

B

Briellz

It depends on the track im doing....and my mood at that particular moment.

I feel the more time I put into the track, the better it turns out in the end. I usually start a track...then finsh it another day. I don't know how to explain it...Its like when you get away from the track for a day or 2.....it sounds different when you play it back.

I

Ieetplayer

Honestly, on a full stomach, I can knock out a Bungalo-Bluff-Jammer in like 15 mins.

The Konductor

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
The best stuff is usually created within the first 5 to 10 minutes of sitting down at your keyboard. Now with sampling its different. If you're very good and lucky you can find a sample, sample it and loop it with in 30 min. to an hour. Then you still have to put a beat to it and that can take longer depending on whether or not you have a beat ready to lace.

milLion

buildin'
ill o.g.
at least a solid day's work -- depending on the quality i'm shooting for -- it could take a few days or more

V

vabeach

well me i can throw down my drums and melody and have it be real hot in about 15mins but different producer do different things and some spend more or less time ...and also it depends on what you use on a pc you spend all fu*kin day

T

ThE cRicKet

I say it definitely depends on your mood when you start, but in mu opinion if a bit is completely finished in less than 30 minutes80 percent of the time its garb. not alwayz though out of the 50 beat I have I think about 2 are 15 minute bangers and I didn't set out for that time either. music takes it"s own time to make. the maker has no choice. when music is ready to be banged out you bang it out. an average for me 1 month.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
15 minutes? i dont see how...... not dissing i just dont get it. there is a lot that goes into making a complete track... what do you use? i know a lot of kids who say they make their music in 5-10 minutes, but then i hear it and i see that it HAD to be done in 10 minutes! i see a lot of presets as well...

HaZwaiOh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
first i have some initial idea and will create the main theme of the beat.
i won´t touch the beat for a while and then listen to it and see what sounds good and what doesn´t. i´ll extend it and add some more stuff.
as soon as the mc has recorded, I´ll come up with new ideas and variations.
so it´s basically divided into 3 parts.

Freakwncy

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 17
Go SpeedRacer....

Me. I can do one in an hr. flat, w/ or w/o a sample...if I'm in the mood... If not... I don't try... it's either all or nothing...

Knock Out

Rap's Genious
ill o.g.
Uh...

Am I the only person here who's ever actually been to a studio??? *At every studio I've been to, most of the producers can bang out beats in about 5 minutes, sometimes 10. (They make the beats right in front of you too.) It just goes to show that the longer you do it, the better you get. I seriously am starting to see myself elevating, because I'm noticing my beats are getting a lot more in depth, drum beats are getting sicker, and melodies are getting more complex.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
um............. i still dont get this "5 minutes" thing......... that makes absolutely no sense and if anyone here has a track that is HONESTLY 5 minutes of work, i would like to hear it. i know cats like swizz say that they do theirs in 15 minutes and brag about it being a 15 minute beat..... but then again the quality and actual musicianship out these days really do reflect the 5 minute philsophy........ i can do a good drumline in a matter of minutes, but there is still the matter of adding percusion, finding melodies and the actual sounds i want to work with before hand, then there are the extra bits and pieces........ no offense but until i witness someone make a *GOOD* track in 5 minutes or at least hear one........ i think everyone who says that is lying out their teeth. and i mean doing this as a consistant occurance- i am sure we have all made a track or two in 10 minutes that were nice, but those are generally simpler in nature or already mapped out.. but thats just my two cents.

members online