Making a beat just ain't the same anymore

Nocturnl

Man Utd Nut
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I'm going through a real bad creative block at the mo,been at least 6 weeks now

I am so bored with drums as all of them seem to be the same kinda thing,even when you try a different approach it just seems to be the same kinda pattern/groove quantized or non quantized,been listening to alot of music recently instead of making it and even the drums in them songs bore me,not sure what else to do lol

I have so many breaks/drum kits etc but can't get into the frame of mind to make a beat ever again,I got record 1.5 and reason 5 but even they are boring me now,they are dope programs but just feel very small and have limited options but i cant stand to use other programs like Ableton & Cubase as i hate them

HELP!!!

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
That's how I've felt for the past 10 years! For me, a lot of it has to do with the music itself and how it is today. When I first started making beats in the 90's it was way different since there was such dope music coming out, it kept me motivated all the time. Now, I do it just as a hobby and make whatever I feel like.

As far as no motivation because of your setup, I had the same problem. I was using Sonar, Reason, and others but it became boring real fast, so I bought Maschine and so far it's injected fun back into it!

So maybe what you need is to approach making music in a different way. Either change your setup, or take a break, but something should change otherwise you'll still feel the same 6 months from now.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Is it just the drums? When i get bored with that, I reinvigorate my love of sounds or mixing or a full beat with rap, or a project where i cross media ie: Beats with accompanying Pics.

I usually just take a break and focus on something else. No matter what it is, breaks make things better, you know, too much of a good thing etc.

Nocturnl

Man Utd Nut
ill o.g.
yeah but 6 weeks and made nothing properly,i have about 10 half completed beats which sounded dope at the time but sound wack now...its jus not working anymore and na its not jus tha drums even tho all drums are the same on most tracks nowadays,its the sample i flip,i flip it and bop to it then hate it delete and end up looping it then deleting the whole file

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Try not sampling, thats how i learned how to compose. Now I barely sample ever

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Tried it lol nearly smashed the comp from stressing

Thats not natural, you need a break and renewed patience lol. Sounds like you expect to force it and the more you force it the worse it gets. Do you enjoy the music you listen too anymore?

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
You're burnt out. Dont listen to any music, until it drives you crazy NOT to listen to music, Pick up a new hobby, and resurrect this thread in a few weeks and report back. (Or how ever long it takes, it could be a month. Whats important is to get your mind out of the rut and allow it to breathe)

Thats not natural, you need a break and renewed patience lol. Sounds like you expect to force it and the more you force it the worse it gets. Do you enjoy the music you listen too anymore?
Eh? What? I thought it was.

I always found I got this when I had made a particularly good beat, and was always trying to top it or at least equal it, and got stressed when I couldnt do it.
I used to be able to swap and change from composed beats to sampled beats to drum n bass to garage just to keep it moving and more interesting, but even now, especially since I stopped the mary jane, i just cant get into making a beat without getting bored very quickly. I have tried a few times, but Im starting to think my music making days are numbered. And like already has been said, hiphop just isnt hip hop to me anymore, Im stuck in the 90's, all this new style of hip hop just aint for me, and I cannot conform to it, I just dont enjoy it. The best thing you can do is take a break for a while, maybe you have burned yourself out a little, which I did after making beats constantly for a few years, after I had a couple months off, I got back into it and enjoyed it again, see what happens.

Nocturnl

Man Utd Nut
ill o.g.
I think whats going on is my love for hiphop has died because people arent interested in buying or hearing my beats as they are more like tupac style than lil wayne...lil wayne is pure garbage and its that side of hip hop and peoples attitude towards real hiphop that makes me not wanna make it as much...real shame as real hiphop is almost completely DEAD

plus i refuse to make hiphop music in todays style...makes me sick hearing it all

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Rav3, let's look at whats happening during your block. 1. You're making beats that you like at first but then you change your mind. 2. Reason and Record are no longer challenging to you and you feel bored with them as well. 3. You are sick of your drums.

Reason/Record can't be the issue because they do whatever you tell them to do. They don't have any control of your creativity.

Drums are drums, find each of your favorite drum sounds and create the dopest drum pattern that you can with them but change up your normal pattern. Be as creative as possible.

And finally, what I think is the biggest problem... Making a beat that starts off HOT but ends up NOT. Once you get your Sample, chop it, flip it, freak it however you like but don't over think it. Go with what you like at the time and keep that, but don't stop there, keep it moving, the objective is to complete this beat as fast as you can and get reviews.

Alot of people approach the "Showcase" and "Sample Flippage" sections as places to demonstrate their skills and thats fine but when you're dealing with Producers Block, these sections are great tools for turning it around. Use them to enhance your production.

Do some super fast flips, make sure you don't overlook sound clarity. When the next Sample Flippage is posted have your beat up the next day. I wish we had enough participation here to do some 24 hour flip contests. That would be dope, but I'm sure that you know a place that does =).

Try this and I think you'll be surprised at your results. Break that old pattern of making beats.

good luck!

Krazyfingaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
just woooooooooosaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. nah but really you should take a break and put your mind on different things. Music is a feeling an emotion so right now your not feeling it. The way i approach it is its like a relationship where your the music is the clingly one and you need a break from seeing her ass everyday. you want to miss her but you cant cause she's there 24/7 or always blowing up your phone.

Nocturnl

Man Utd Nut
ill o.g.
But what i get somedays is a crave to make 1 and then halfway thru i stop cos i jus cant complete it due to hating it and then it all starts again for another few weeks

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Eh? What? I thought it was.

I always found I got this when I had made a particularly good beat, and was always trying to top it or at least equal it, and got stressed when I couldnt do it.
I used to be able to swap and change from composed beats to sampled beats to drum n bass to garage just to keep it moving and more interesting, but even now, especially since I stopped the mary jane, i just cant get into making a beat without getting bored very quickly. I have tried a few times, but Im starting to think my music making days are numbered. And like already has been said, hiphop just isnt hip hop to me anymore, Im stuck in the 90's, all this new style of hip hop just aint for me, and I cannot conform to it, I just dont enjoy it. The best thing you can do is take a break for a while, maybe you have burned yourself out a little, which I did after making beats constantly for a few years, after I had a couple months off, I got back into it and enjoyed it again, see what happens.

2good, you need to find someone you like, who inspires you. I KNOW hiphop isnt what it was quality wise. The trick isnt to conform like a sheep, its to assimilate what you like. To take elements and create something new. Isnt that what sampling is? Why not do it with whats happening? List some of you fav artists too

I think whats going on is my love for hiphop has died because people arent interested in buying or hearing my beats as they are more like tupac style than lil wayne...lil wayne is pure garbage and its that side of hip hop and peoples attitude towards real hiphop that makes me not wanna make it as much...real shame as real hiphop is almost completely DEAD

plus i refuse to make hiphop music in todays style...makes me sick hearing it all

Thats not a love for hiphop. You want attention. Being underground, real hiphop etc is ALL about expression, not the need to be seen. You should ONLY make music when you feel the need to. No one is buying beats because they can get them for free. or make them themselves. or they're cheap. No ones buying ANY music like they used to, its all free. Meaning YOU need to have a deep love and do it BECAUSE you love it and you NEED to create to express yourself. Thats the ONLY time you need to be beat making. The same thing I said to 2good applies to you. Dont get caught up in the past. Its gone for a reason, a GREAT one. Innovation is the only way for people to progress, no one can shine living in someone elses shadow. They were who they were, its time to create your own story and era.

List some of your fav artists too

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
And listen to Dac

Nocturnl

Man Utd Nut
ill o.g.
Na you misread it...i meant to say all my artists who buy beats off me say na i want a lil wayne type beat and thats causing me to not want to make beats cos all my paying artists wont dickhead beats

Step Soprano

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Na you misread it...i meant to say all my artists who buy beats off me say na i want a lil wayne type beat and thats causing me to not want to make beats cos all my paying artists wont dickhead beats

not trying to be an asshole, but you are fortunate just to have paying artists to begin with. The customer is always right. If you want to do music as a hobby, doing what YOU want is absolutely fine. If you want to do it as a career, you have to get over that shit and do what the artist wants. What you think is not important, it's what the paying customer thinks that matters. Again, I don't mean that to sound like I'm being an asshole, I'm in the same boat sometimes. I don't always like the music the artists I work with make, but as long as they are paying my bills, I stfu and try to enjoy the process.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
I have been in a complete beatblock since getting fucked in the last beatthis..
Im to the point I really dont give ashit about making another fucking song ever actually, btw it wasnt the beatthis that did it, got ALOT of stress at home and Im REALLY not feeling music creation at all right now.

members online