making beats to score a film

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i know that rza has talked about spending more time doing this because his beats are so cinematic. has anyone ever tried this?

i believe that this would allow me more freedom when creating music. normally we always are constricted because we are trying to write a Song and that keeps us in a box in a way. when its no longer about writing a song you can use all means necessary to create a certain feeling.

the other positive side of this is that it would allow us to get our music heard by a larger audience. there are a lot of indie film makers out there that are already so in debt from making their movie that they'd jump at the chance for a free score.

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
i never did but i wud really like to to a score for a film mad hard work but i bet alot of fun

ill o.g.
I haven't done anything professionally... But for practice I did mini score you can say to a movie trailer. It came out pretty good too.

doing a trailer would be awesome as well since all of the best and most powerful scenes fly by all at once

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
doing a trailer would be awesome as well since all of the best and most powerful scenes fly by all at once

you know what man, thats a great idea. anyone know where i could get a trailer with no music, but it still has its fx sounds and dialogue?? I will give it a go immediately if i can get hold of such a clip, of a new hollywood flick.

ill o.g.
you know what man, thats a great idea. anyone know where i could get a trailer with no music, but it still has its fx sounds and dialogue?? I will give it a go immediately if i can get hold of such a clip, of a new hollywood flick.

i realize i'm going beyond talking producing now but trying to make your own trailer using a movie on your computer would be great practice. i took a video arts class in high school and editing was my favorite part. doing that would allow you even more freedom when making the music. it would be easier to make it even more cinematic.

i use magix music maker to make my beats and it allows you to add video and convert to avi files and such. i gotta admit its a pretty damn cool program for only having paid $40.

Low G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
When I'm not making hip hop tracks this is what I actually do... I've got 2 films I'm working the sound for. I basically edit sound effects, ambiences, dialogue and so on and depending on the film I also get to score it. Some of my beats are made from scores I've done. When I score something I set the video up in pro tools and rewire reason into it then play along while watching the film. This is a good opportunity to improvise and learn how to set a mood with your music. Also it's good to register your songs so whenever the film is played on TV (if it's any good) you get a lil check in the mail. Just imagine how much cash Elfman gets for the Simpsons theme... dude gets a check for everytime that hits the airwaves.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
coz of being in uni i get people all the time coming in to have stuff scored to their films, indie film makers rarely do the music etc themselves and obviously can't afford to pay a pro ! so it can be good fun to do sum of that sort of stuff not what i want to go into but efinately good to know and learn !

Daikomo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I listen to scores...people it's a beautiful thing with out a doubt... Hans Zimmer my favorite composer and scorer.. he did my fav game SOCOM II, my fav movies Black Hawk Down and Last Samurai.

Last Samurai really did for me.. tho you guys should by the sound track.

Its really good fellas. go ahead and expand.

ill o.g.
rza's work on Ghost Dog: way of the samurai is incredible.

i read an interview that rza met the director from a mutual weed smoking friend and after they met they he told rza his idea and that he wanted him to make the music. he said he'd go write the script while forest whitaker trained

Daikomo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Hmm...i don't remember the track i'm gonna def look it up man.
I wanna know. RZA did a pretty good job for Afro Samurai.
in Unleashed you don't really get chance to hear some of his stuff.

x-squizet

Roll Tide Roll
ill o.g.
The Last Samurai has a great score and also batman begines....Hans Zimmer is amazing he also scored Tears of the Sun and that was a great movie and the music was classic in it...But I would love to learn how to score movies. While I am in school I plan on takeing some music theory classes or what not and I am also getting on the ball trying to learn the keys also.

Scoreing movies can open so many doors for you.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
i'm currentlt workin on a score to a short indie film (15 minutes) and I'll also be doing another score to another indie flick. It's a 2 hour crime drama. I may film a documentary on it,,,but thats too much work,,lol,

Bra , you know we are gonna want to see that right?

Erica Johnson

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I think that the next producer you will see creating music/beats for film scores will be Timbaland. He has an idea about doing music for all types of entertainment mediums. That's the thing, if you are making beats and you are really exceptional at it, chances are you are exceptional at music overall, so why not venture into film scores?