Manipulating Sounds

Hita_K

Dilltastic
ill o.g.
I was just wondering how many of u manipulate ur sounds to get other sounds. Example: a guitar to sound like a piano. I don't want to know how, but jus wondering.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
i usually only do it with synths and basses and strings. other times, i like to use stuff that I'd never dream about using otherwise.

pancakebunnny

needs more fartnoise
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
El-P and ?uestlove are good as fuck at doing this. Unless you have some hardcore creativity to begin with, like... your SWEAT could be sold as drugs because you're so damn creative, this technique usually falls short.

But ?uestlove can turn a sample of me farting on Sanova and turn it into a work of audio-art.

J Cro

Hulkamaniac
ill o.g.
I alter shit all the time. When I first started out all I had was FL and I didn't know how or where to get new sounds. So I used to tweak the shit out of the sounds that came with FL 2.7. They weren't high qaulity but the music I made back then was definitly original and it had my own sound.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
I tweak a lot, but to a certain extent... a guitar to a piano... never tryed it, but taking a synth bass and making it sound like a acoustic/synth bass... or using a conga sound as a bass... that sort of thing, yes

Manji

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
there are certain, uh sound modules I think that you can emulate other sounds with.

The reason I say "I think" cause I seen some dude at sam ash playing the piano w/ his guitar, but I didnt really intrest mytself w/ it so I really didnt find out what it was about.

P

PrymeTyme

most of the time...if i end up manipulating a sound its usually by accident. because if i usually know what the sound or instrument that i want is and im jus tweakin it 2 make it blend wit tha beat. and sometimes it comes out soundin totally different

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Yeah, I do that sometimes myself. Most of the time just to experiment and see what I can come up with. I've got an old Yamaha CS1x keyboard that I tweak the sounds in all the time. I don't use the sounds in the keyboard as they are because they are outdated and most of them can't compare to the rich synth sounds of today; but it has so many dope sounds in it that you can tweak and layer to make new sounds that I will probably never get rid of it.
ONE