Mar 22nd - Mar 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
hahaha! I know the feeling. I sat in the shadows for years before I got the nerve to even post a beat. My production game was a 'No Show', I mean I had as much skill as a door knob but I took notes and just kept grinding until I felt confident enough to post a beat...but now that I've been doing it for a while, I feel like that was a mistake. I should've been posting beats from day 1 so cats could really tell me what I needed to do. The only thing was back in the day, the cats at ill were RUTH-effing-LESS! They not only smacked you upside the head, they also laughed at you as you walked away with your @$$ kicked...hahaha. Still, I listen to some of the flips that cats do today and I'm blown away. I always notice something in everybodies flip, good or bad and either say 'damn I should've thought of that' or 'that would be a little doper if I just...'.

I wish I had kept my first beats, they would be perfect for a good laugh!

So if I understood correctly the next challenge was to make another beat from this song but make the beat harder and the sample a little more unrecognizable. Hopefully I got that.

Here's my second one for this week. I'm not very good at playing with distortion and the like so I would love some input if anyone has any regarding rogue frequencies or anything that I can make better. I know there are some problems with the mix. I wasn't able to spend much more than an hour making this beat.

http://soundcloud.com/user8988974/whats-the-use-in-distortion

Visceral

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Yo! Not made a beat for a while so came here for a challenge. Looks like I just made this one by the skin of my teeth. Any feedback's appreciated, the beat's called 'Major Damage':
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=527200

Also took the time to listen to everybody else's and give feedback, so here goes, hope it's useful:

soberminded: Nice original take on it. Especially like the bass & the clangy sounds in the back that give it some variation. Big up for not being obvious.

smokaz: Really like the intro & choice of sample chops. Think somebody already said, but the snare stands out as not jelling with the rest of it. Also, to add some momentum I'd consider bringing some more hi-hats or percussion in at a point to really get it moving. Nice work overall though.

dac: Bumping low end in this one! Good variation as well. Overall top notch.

finnigan: Well done for doing something different, but not sure about this one to be honest. Great for an intro, but feels like it needs to kick in at some point - maybe some heavier drums, percussion or layered sounds would build it into something stronger.

djfeedme: the 1st section is good, but the 2nd section KILLS IT! Two beats for the price of one. 2nd one is stronger and richer in sound to me - in fact, think it's my favourite out of all these flips.

...thought that was it but then realised there was a page 2...

dac's second beat: another banger mate. Especially like the way you drop the cuts in.

djfeedme's second beat: not gonna get scientific on frequencies, but I can tell you it's a sick, original beat. Was glad when the main distorted sample dropped out - it is a bit grating going all the way through, so I would hold back on that and only drop it in at certain points - but maybe grating was the effect you were going for. Either way, good job.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
@djfeedme - Im not that big on distortion so I don't know what to suggest...in fact, most of the time I'm trying to get rid of it...lol.

@Vis - FIRE! Dope beat bruh. Nothing else to say, everything is right imo.

@visceral = really liked the beat man. Love the EQ of the sample, love the filtered break and the drums sounds nice. I agree with the issue of the sample sounding grating. I wasn't sure exactly what to do with it.

@ Dac = I agree. I really always try to avoid distortion. Just wanted to step out of my zone and try something. Also, I liked your 2nd flip. Love the harp sound.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
@crysis - dope flip! I'd like to have seen a little more variety but damn...I luv the way you freaked that.

shoot me a PM on whatever you need a tut on.

@finn - I'll post it 1st thing in the am, bro I'm so tired now I can barely keep my eye's open...lol. I gotta hit the sack ZZZzzzzzz. =) 1st thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.