mbox or digi 002?

Nabls

ill o.g.
Which is the better hardware to go with for recording and why? What's the big difference? Thanks for your time.

TACTIK

The most unique producer on here
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 527
Just got the digi 002 and just like the design better than the mbox. Its better to have the 002 if you have a shitload of equiptment to hook up. If all you have is a mic and tables, stick with the mbox.

Nabls

ill o.g.
Good looks yall.

Tac, would I hook up say a keyboard or mpc through the digi 002, or through USB ports?
I'm planning on hooking up a mic, keyboard, mpc, etc.
(New to all this hardware so sorry about the unsure questions)

E

Equality 7-2521

Actually the MBox and 002 are completely different things. Yes they both have inputs and outputs (the 002 has more obviously) but the 002 is also a control surface. It is also a firewire device. Why dont you go to the Digidesign website and see for yourself.

Iszazial

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Nabls said:
Which is the better hardware to go with for recording and why? What's the big difference? Thanks for your time.

they are 2 totally different devices as you can see in the pictures ive attached. really what it comes down to is how much are you willing to spend?
when youget the digi 002 it will take you some time to comform to it but you will figure out how to use all the controls what its real objectivity to inturnally control the operation of protools.

the mbox2 was design to be quick and easy recording for mobile or stationary. it doesn't have a control surface for PT LE so therefor if you wanted to use a contol surface at a later date you would have to invest in a midi controller daw, such as the mackie MCU or the Command 8.

the Projectmix I/O as recently mentioned is a really nice looking device that has alot of simalarity too to digi002 but it only works with M-powered as your operating sound source with firewire... M-powered is supported by M-audio whom is owned by avid and avid recently bought digidesign(it could be visa-versa). m-powered supports m-audio devices and does not comewith hardware bundled as far as i know.

btw just to make things more clear if you were not aware. the mbox2 and digi 002 will be your sound device for listening as thats were your monitors will plugin or speaker amp.

hope this helps your decision. out of my preference though i would buy the Mbox 2 and then buy a control surface for it like i recently mentioned, the mackie or the command 8. you will find its alot cheaper and you will have enough inputs for all your stuff.

Attachments

• 002topbig_11469.jpg
    002topbig_11469.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 106
  • mbox2front_back-lg_11465.jpg
    mbox2front_back-lg_11465.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 105

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
wit the mbox ur stuck wit only 24 tracks wit the digi 002 u get unlimited especially u can get better shyt that just the pro tools LE that u get wit an mbox

Iszazial

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Fury said:
wit the mbox ur stuck wit only 24 tracks wit the digi 002 u get unlimited especially u can get better shyt that just the pro tools LE that u get wit an mbox

yeah i agree. thats a pretty big issue as ive tried importing audio files and not had enough room to work with... however, i guess the stage im atright now ive never really had the use for anything since i build my music with a different program and master in protools.
I haven't even had a chance to try the midi options that protools offers

G

geedub025

most definitly digi, wit digi you can go 128 tracks depending on yo mem mbox u stuck with whatever u have.

FTdub

SP1200 manhandler
ill o.g.
I use the digi 002 and I love the control surface. The automated faders are ill and the machine is still a fraction of the price of a digital studio.

Nabls

ill o.g.
No doubt, thanks yall

I'm kind of leaning towards the digi 002, but i'm definitely going to look into what Iszazial said. thanks

trinidad

The Last B-Boy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
hONEST LY EITHER THE mBOX OR THE 002 ONLY DO 32 audio tracks and i think 128 of midi, thats just pro tools le tho if u want unlimmited u havce to go pro tools tdm period. the mix io will work on ohter software not jus protools and it will work wit protools versaiona after 6.7 as a hui, honestly fot the 1300(wit protools m powered) u cant go wrong wit a IO its better n cheaper than an 002, the design on the Mbox is more entry level ull get better sound with an 002 but if u dont need the extra ins dont get it th mbox wit the stock prottols compressor plugin is fine ive done mad tracks with that.

My home base is a Mboc the first one wit a bcontol fader works fine for me upgrading to an IO cuz i can use that wit other DAW's

Iszazial

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
trinidad said:
hONEST LY EITHER THE mBOX OR THE 002 ONLY DO 32 audio tracks and i think 128 of midi, thats just pro tools le tho if u want unlimmited u havce to go pro tools tdm period. the mix io will work on ohter software not jus protools and it will work wit protools versaiona after 6.7 as a hui, honestly fot the 1300(wit protools m powered) u cant go wrong wit a IO its better n cheaper than an 002, the design on the Mbox is more entry level ull get better sound with an 002 but if u dont need the extra ins dont get it th mbox wit the stock prottols compressor plugin is fine ive done mad tracks with that.

My home base is a Mboc the first one wit a bcontol fader works fine for me upgrading to an IO cuz i can use that wit other DAW's

yeah the mbox 1 has the focusrite preamps but since people didn't seem to be buying their hardware for those features so they stop using focusrite to bring down the price within the digi 002, 002 rack, and mbox 2. i haven't seen to much difference though but i think the mbox 1 has a better mid range for vocals.

members online