Interviews Metah

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
metah1.jpg

Metah, Lyricist/Producer/Songwriter, cannot be described with tepid labels that seem to saturate the industry for its categorical purposes. He has been an active part of the music scene for quite a while, but now is ready for the world to enter his sphere and experience his artistic output. This visionary first tried his hand as a DJ in Bass Music, and still spins once in a while. But as time went by, Metah realized that there was something else burning within� A longing for individual creation and self expression; hence spawning the emceeing/songwriting phase of his life. Inspired by many of the common facets of music we've all grown up with (Soul, Jazz, R&B, and Hip Hop), Metah also draws energy from other genres like Electronica and Alternative to paint a full picture of himself and deliver that to the listener as honest as he can.

Metah's general mission: To create soulful music that has a positive influence and outreach� Not by overcomplicated means or hidden messages, but by music from the heart and soul. Whether the soundscape is some classic, rugged boom-bap, or some smooth soulful vibes, Metah is more than capable of painting his thoughts on the canvas to reach all audiences. Metah's forthcoming debut album is titled: "The Why, The Soul, The Reason". It explains his love for music and hope for the future. Musically, 'THE WHY, THE SOUL, THE REASON' is "soulful with a positive message". It definitely has something real to say, a positive message that can guide people and not just weigh them down.

Good afternoon Metah, how is it going? How have you been & what's new?

Things are good Wings. I've been blessed. I can't complain too much. Just trying to keep myself busy as usual. As far as what's new with music, I'm primarily trying to re-focus my energies into getting my first solo album out - "The Why, The Soul, The Reason" for the moment. I have other things in the works as well - various collaborations, interviews, reviews, etc. Other than music, I've been in graduate school studying Global Management.

metah2.jpg

Please give us an insight into your artistic-self, as well as some general facts about yourself.

My artistic-self is someone who is likes to "capture the moment" with my music through life experience. The majority of the time, songs come to me by coincidence while I'm doing something. At the same time, I'm constantly thinking of different subject matter and different ways to express myself. I am also a poet by nature so I'm always writing about something that reveals a story of some sort. I'm also experimental and innovative with ideas and concepts. General facts about myself as a person is that I am: humble, giving, down-to-earth, open-minded, a Gemini (better watch out!!) goal-oriented and God-fearing.

How did you get into music? When did you decide to become an artist? What led you to that decision?

I got into music at an early age. I asked my mother to let me take piano lessons at 4 years old after watching my pre-school teacher play at church. I played piano continuously until I became a teenager and then I experimented with hip hop a bit. I learned to DJ and I received several opportunities to hang out with friends at the studio to learn about production and how to rap. From there I tried out various styles of music from R&B to Bass Music to underground hip hop until I started finding my niche when I entered college. I didn't decide to become an artist until after college when I finally moved to Arizona. There several events in my life that led me to that decision. To summarize those events, I would say that I have finally begun to understand that I have a strong purpose in life to touch people's lives in a positive way with words and with music.

How would your life look like without music?

Life without music would be extremely hard to imagine. It seems like do almost everything to music. I believe that life would be extremely dull without music. For me, as well as for many other people, music has been an outlet for free expression. Without that form of expression, many people wouldn't have a way to release the tension and stress that they face daily and would be somewhat forced to channel their energies in more negative ways than positive.

How was your youth? Do you remember that period as being positive?

My youth was very fulfilling. I remember that period as being very positive. There were many people that have helped shape what I am today and were very genuine and caring while going so. In comparison, to how things are now for kids growing up today, I believe that there aren't as many positive role models and that the youth are more exposed to things and people that are out to hurt them. I think that the new generation has more exposure to new technology earlier in life (i.e. the internet, etc.,) and in some ways experience more at a younger age, but overall, I definitely would prefer my youth.

What did you get into in the first place - emceeingproducing? Can you discern what you enjoy the most? Which one of these artistic mediums allows you to procure a greater degree of expression?

Technically, I got into the emceeing side first. Even though I officially started as a DJ, but I always wrote poetry. Discerning whether I like emceeing or producing the most is difficult, but I think that I enjoy emceeing the most because I just like sharing my experiences and expression with an audience. The production side is probably the artistic medium that would allow me have a greater degree of expression. I say this because a producer overall can help shape and mold a song musically while truly capturing the emotion and feel that a song should have.

metah3.jpg

What equipmentsoftware do you use?

I decided to simple my setup a bit as of late. I had too much duplication going on and devices and software that were doing similar functions. Currently, I use Reason 3.0, Sounds for the Yahama Motif, Roland Fantom and Korg Triton Pro 88, M-Audio Trigger Finger, M-Audio Oxygen 8 keyboard. I also work with live instrumentation.

Please give us 3 essential beat making tips.

My essential beat making tips may be somewhat atypical from most:

1. Take a music appreciation and theory class - These two things help provide a good foundation for an artist to build upon. Most importantly, it provides a greater appreciation for all types of music in general as well as knowledge of various chords, scales, etc..
  2. Learn to play at least one instrument - I think this one is important because one can have a better understanding of how a particular instrument should really sound to the ear. Besides that, learning to play an instrument can enhance one's ability to create a variety of music.
  3. Stay active in forums, read articles, newsletters and tips - one can always learn a new trick or two that hasn't been known before, that may be able to improve technique.
What about 3 fundamental vocal-recording tips?

Actually, this is an area that I am still working on.
  1. I would say breath control is THE key. Being a person with asthma, making sure that I can control my breathing is critical because I can become fatigued quickly and my flow can suffer somewhat. The remedy for this is doing breath control exercises and of course some regular exercise (especially cardio).
  2. Relax your vocal cords. The thing that works for me in this category is drinking hot tea or anything that is warm. Never drink anything cold before you record! Your vocal cords tend to contract after you drink something cold and that definitely something that you do not want to happen.
  3. Using good diction. It is important that your words and message is not just heard, but ensuring that your words are heard clearly as well. This is one aspect that I have seen singers use mostly, but lately I have seen rappers put more emphasis on it as well (i.e. Common, etc.)
Tell us about your past & upcoming releasesprojects.

Past
  • Organik Aura - "Envision" - EP
  • Organik Aura - "Envision" - LP
  • Numerous compilations and mixtapes
Upcoming
  • Metah - The Why, The Soul, The Reason - LP
  • Metah, Le4Romain and Giuliano - Infinite Horizon - EP
  • Metah, Mercury Waters and Obsidian Blue - Untitled - EP
  • Metah and Obsidian Blue - Portrait in Blue - LP
  • Metah - Soulstice - LP
  • Numerous compilations and mixtapes
Do you collect CDsVinyl? Give us a list of your top 7 records!

Yes, I collect CDs and Vinyl. I have too many to name! It is always hard to pick a top 7, so I am going to just name a few that come to mind:
  • Marvin Gaye - "Midnight Love"
  • Prince - "1999"
  • Brand Nubian - "One for All"
  • Slum Village - "Fantastic Voyage Vol. 1"
  • A Tribe Called Quest - "Midnight Marauders"
  • Guru - "Jazzmatazz - Volume 1"
  • Anita Baker - "Rapture"
Would you consider yourself as a Samplist?

It depends on how you define Samplist. I believe that at some point, all musicians take something or have been influenced by an idea and/or concept from another musician in the past. As for sampling from records, I might do that from time to time. I mostly sample to augment a track that I am already working on. I just have a great appreciation for good music.

What inspires you?

God, Life, Love and Family inspire me.

5 records to listen to when you: awake, travel, make love, eat, fall asleep.
  • Awake - Outkast - "Aquemini"
  • Travel - Foreign Exchange - "Connected"
  • Eat - Kem - "Kemistry"
  • Make Love - Maxwell - "Urban Hang Suite"
  • Fall Asleep - Sade - "Best of Sade"
What plans do you have for the future?

This year, I plan on releasing my first solo project, "The Why, The Soul, The Reason". Within the next year, I plan on releasing my follow-up project - "Soulstice", as well as a project entitled -"Infinite Horizon", which will be produced by French producers Le4Romain and Giuliano. I will also have another project with Obsidian Blue entitled, "Portrait in Blue" and a project with myself and Mercury Waters produced by Obsidian Blue. I also have plans in the future to do some shows overseas, experiment with different types of music and work on few videos while working on expanding my fan base.

The world is coming to an end in 50 minutes. How would you spend those 50 minutes?
  • Talk to my family and friends and let them how much they will be missed - 25min
  • Eat my favorite food (Lasagna) - 10 min
  • Do a final prayer and go to sleep (I would want to remember the world in a peaceful manner) - 15 min
What's in your CD player right now?

Currently, I have Little Brother - "The Listening", Common - "Like Water for Chocolate", Foreign Exchange - "Connected", Outkast - "ATLiens", Platinum Pied Pipers - "Triple P", and some beats from "The Why, The Soul, The Reason" in the CD changer of my ride.

If you were the interviewer, what would you ask yourself?

I would first ask myself, "Why I am I interviewing myself?" Then I would ask myself the following questions:
  1. What truly defines Metah as an artist?
  2. Where do I see myself in five years in music and in life?
  3. If had an unlimited budget and opportunities to work with any artist that I wanted to, who would they be and why?
What's the maddest thing you have ever done?

The maddest thing? If I had to go way back into my elementary school days, it would the infamous "ninja-star incident". In 3rd grade, I was always being bullied by a schoolmate named Edward and 'till this day still didn't know why he did. One day, I finally got fed up and was determined to get back at him. During this time, I was pretty good at marital arts and thought that this would be the perfect time to put my skills into action. The next day, I "borrowed" a pair of my best friend's ninja stars, put them in my book bag and headed off to school. I waited until Edward came into the classroom and quickly threw my ninja stars towards him without intentions to hurt him. I just wanted to severely scare this dude! Well, my scheme worked and he never bothered me again. Unfortunately, I was caught and turned into the principal's office :)

What's the saddest thing you've ever seenheard of?

Right now, I would say the saddest thing that I've have heard of is the current conflict going on in the Middle East. It is saddening to know that the differences in ideologies have led to so much destruction and senseless killing of innocent people on both sides.

metah5.jpg

Do you perform live on stage? How does it feel like? Tell us some interesting experiences you've had.

Performing live on stage is almost indescribable. I will definitely be performing a lot more, soon after this album is released. I had performances mostly with live bands. I prefer the live feel of a show because there is more room for improvisation and the energy is incredible. As for as experiences go, one of the most interesting shows I had was when I was in college at Tuskegee University. I was in a group called Organik Aura at the time and me and my partner Slice incorporated both live show ideas with show ideas that just involved a DJ. When show time approached, we decided to go with the flow of the show and do whatever came to mind. We started the show with a brief skit and freestyle without any beats at all to introduce our group to the audience. Then, we performed songs with our beats and a DJ with a freestyle transition into a live set. What was crazy about it was that no one even knew that a band was in the back of us and the crowd went wild. We performed a few songs with our band ("Eclipse") and then we improvised the rest of the set. It was very unpredictable and one of my favorite shows that I've done so far.

What kind of person are you? Are you an optimist or a pessimist?

I am definitely an optimist. There are so many things to be thankful for in this world. I believe that almost all things are possible with faith and perseverance. However, I also think that sometimes people need to have a more "realistic" view with certain things in life, but never be a pessimist.

What do you think of the music industry?

Overall, I don't like where the music industry is today. It almost seems that everyone sounds the same. I turn on the radio sometimes and it sounds like one continuous song. I think it is good to see hip hop get more mainstream, but I think that artists should use that power and influence in a more positive light to help create change in the world.

Do you think that music has healing powers?

Yes, I do! I certainly believe that it has been that way with me in life. There are certain artists and/or songs that really touch my soul while I'm going through different stages and phases of life. As for my own music, I receive emails sometimes from listeners that say, "Metah, I can relate man. I've felt like that before". This type of feedback is one of the reasons why I continue to make music. It is truly humbling and inspiring at the same time.

How would you describe what Hip-Hop is?

I would describe Hip-Hop as a unique and dynamic culture (music, fashion, dance, etc.) that is constantly reinventing itself while influencing the world.

Why do you love Hip-Hop?

I love hip hop because it is one of the only forms of music that accepts people as they are and lets them express themselves without prejudgment. It is extremely diverse now and has been welcoming to all types of people all across the world.

What's your neighborhood like?

My neighborhood back in Atlanta (Decatur) Georgia is very friendly. Southern hospitality is definitely present there with lots of nice people and it's pretty peaceful. The area where I grew up in Decatur has plenty of affluent African-Americans and has been very influential to me for that reason. Here in Tucson, my neighborhood is pretty nice as well. The scenery is nice with lots of mountains that surround the area and the people are pretty cool.

Anything you'd like to add? Whom would you like to thank?

I would like thank God, my family (immediate and extended), Chanon, Zaire, Tiffany Paige, Keelay and the rest of the Sole Vibe family, MercWaters, Obsidian Blue, Les Enfants Rois, (Giuliano and Le4Romain) , Zo!, BeatFanatic fam and Neblina Records. Finally, I would like to thank you Wings and IllMuzik for interviewing me.