Metaphysics Of Hip-Hop

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Greetings Folks,

Metaphysics = Philosophy of the mind; theory of the cause and underlying nature of reality.

Personally, I look at Hip Hop as if it is this generation's creative interpretation of the primeval force of artistry and innovativeness. I dare to state that religion has always been born out of necessity, and so, following this very (agnostic) equation, Hip Hop is the ultimate voice of the voiceless.

I found the following citation on MySpace (thanks Yosh): "Happy people don't just get up one day, have a little chat with God and say "yo G man, I've been thinking of starting my own belief system, what's the deal?," And the big guy happily replies "fill out an application form..." These things come about out of turmoil - out of necessity, socially, politically and on an individual level, because we need to believe in something outside ourselves".

Now, look at the original idea of the B-Boy... And the 4 elements... that's on the same wavelength as many far-out esoteric doctrines (in Yosh's own words: "some far-eastern monastery ish"). All these different disciplines taught under one name. Same as Shaolin practice in China. Same as old Samurai practice in Japan. Same as Indian Yoga... All broad philosophies made up of different disciplines that emphasize different aspects of what we are...

Hip-Hop is an infinite (eternal) Creative Spirit. It is a culture - SCHOOL OF THOUGHT - in which freedom of expression - however controversial - is what is of paramount importance.

Hip Hop is consisting of 4 main pillars - based on creativity:
B-Boying stands for the danced,
MCing for the literal,
DJing for the musical and
Writing for the graphical expression.

It's important to note that Hip-Hop has other elements as well; the scope of hip hop driven creativity grew beyond the boundaries of its traditional four elements.
For instance, KRS-ONE names nine elements of hip hop culture: the traditional four and beatboxing, plus street fashion, street language, street knowledge, and street entrepreneurism.

Hip Hop can't be consumed, it MUST be lived (not by buying expensive clothes & bling bling shit but by improving one's skills in one or more of the elements day by day).

My Dear Friends, y'all must understand - 'The Lord', 'God', 'Allah', 'Jesus', or any other title/name affiliated, created or founded by an economy-based, fictitious, ideological man-made 'faith', and/or religion, is manifested by separatism and has separatist effects on perceived reality, because it is inconclusively founded. A WISE MAN ONCE SAID, “…THE STRONGEST FORM OF ‘FAITH’ IS, KNOWING, THAT YOU DON’T KNOW…”
True Hip-Hop heads respect all people of different conclusions, beliefs and ‘faiths’.

Just because I was born here doesn't mean that I have to consider myself a part of that system, country or economic establishment... I live on The Creators' country (so to speak). We call it Earth... All of this man-made ideology is a mental illness, which de-capacitates our ability, and our children's ability, to relate self-respect to respecting Mother Nature \ Mother Earth \ The Creator(s).
It is clearly not UNDERSTOOD and\or IMPLIED by millions who claim "to live & love Hip Hop" that the main purpose, goal and benefit of Hip Hop is the personal control of one's own life, destiny and happiness within this 'system' and/or environment which is clearly not conducive with self-control or happiness. This is why we (true Hip-Hop heads) love to see beautiful graffiti art on big ugly trains (... that kill the air we need...). This is why we love the extremely funky, rhythmically inclined and ultra-creative (original!) art form we call Hip Hop music, which the mainstream finds so repulsive ("...I can't understand what they are saying..."). This is why we love to 'breakdance' and 'scratch' those records the way we do which goes totally against 'the flow' of conventional music and dance creativity. Hip Hop is a revolutionary culture\movement with a much deeper purpose than simple rebellion, and/or positive recreation.

HIP-HOP IS PROVIDING AN ANSWER FOR MILLIONS OF TODAY'S YOUTH. A WAY OUT OF THE SYSTEMATIC PHYSICAL, PSYCHOLOGICAL, ECONOMIC AND SPIRITUAL SLAVERY THAT IS 'NORMAL' IN TODAY'S SOCIETY. WE ARE LOOKING FOR A BRAND NEW WAY, SOMETHING ENTIRELY FRESH! HIP HOP MAY NOT BE THE ANSWER FOR EVERYBODY, BUT IT IS GIVING MILLIONS A PURPOSE IN LIFE, WHEN THE HYPOCRISY OF THE GOVERNMENT, SCHOOLS AND CHURCH FAILS TO MAKE ANY MORE SENSE...

Peace, Unity & Love,
Wings

Lex

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Great read Wings, as always.

A very poignant article, apart from the fact that I happen to have pretty similar views on the matters you discussed personally, I definitely think you raised some interesting points for discussion by going into that level of depth (with the more philosophical stuff).

"Hip-Hop is an infinite (eternal) Creative Spirit. It is a culture - SCHOOL OF THOUGHT - in which freedom of expression - however controversial - is what is of paramount importance."

Word to that.....in terms of all elements of hiphop, I hope it continues to give purpose to the lives of people of all backgrounds around the world. It truly does make you see the world, your environment in a different way - through new and varied perspectives.

ill o.g.
The Essence of Hip-Hop

I found the following description on MySpace today:

"HIPHOP: the epitome of creativity, personal expression, life, struggle, pain, happiness, rising to the top, hustle, grind, competition, love, music, the human race, originality, and much much more!! HIPHOP is when you can deliver your innermost thoughts, feelings, ideas, and life eperiences to a beat without cloning the next man. HIPHOP is not speaking about topics of which you are ignorant to. It is about making a connection with people through similar experiences or feelings shared through the artform. HIPHOP is performance, lyrics, a story, authentic, and the greatest artform known to man. HIPHOP is dance, poetry, image, conscious, grimy, hood, suburban, retro, urban, and international. HIPHOP is people from every walk of life. HIPHOP is the north, south, east, and west. I am a part of the whole, a child in the family that we call HIPHOP and you are all my relatives. HIPHOP is growth and maturity as a man or woman. HIPHOP is money, business, commercialized, and underground. HIPHOP is loved, hated, accepted and growing through the ears of most. I like to describe HIPHOP as a painting gallery that I am a part of. The beat is the canvas, the mouthpiece is the brush, and the lyrics that come from the paintbrush are the colors that form the painting. HIPHOP lives!!!"

Keep It Real,
Wings

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Hey man KRS the teacher and BDP has been spreading this knowledge since waaaaayz back (back when primo was considered to be new skool when he did some work return of the Boom Bap)and its been the real spirit before he even brought it to the table on wax though, I remember return of the boom back back in 92 or 93 spitting about metaphysics only touching on it but the essence is exactly what you're speaking about tho....i got that when it came out brand new tho LOL...nothing new under the sun but its good to stay true if you at that level of conciousness.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
Hey man KRS the teacher and BDP has been spreading this knowledge since waaaaayz back (back when primo was considered to be new skool when he did some work return of the Boom Bap)and its been the real spirit before he even brought it to the table on wax though, I remember return of the boom back back in 92 or 93 spitting about metaphysics only touching on it but the essence is exactly what you're speaking about tho....i got that when it came out brand new tho LOL...nothing new under the sun but its good to stay true if you at that level of conciousness.

I was just listenin to that Joint in the Ipod on my way home from workk,,hah

ill o.g.
Simply expressed, THE ultimate message of hip hop is that beauty can come from dirt, grime, pain, struggle, and oppression. Just as Jazz is a Spiritual music. It’s the suffering that gives Jazz its spiritual dimension. Only through suffering is a true thing born... 'From The Ashes Comes Beautiful Music'...

Keep It Real Brethren,
Wings of an Angel

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
excellent post bro...and who said hiphop was dead? It can't die, it may fall from the attention of the media and it may not be the trendy thing to do anymore but unlike all the rest of the things that die, hiphop will live forever because it has always been more than a trend or a fad, trends and fads die. Hiphop will live as long as theres poverty, oppression, the voice of the street, and so on...

-dac-