Mick Softley - "Time Machine"

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
This one is really good. Of course there's the guitar at the beginning, but there's some other guitar panned left. If you can isolate his vocals too, there's some cool shit in there. Also, maybe grab a loop and filter it for the low end.

Also, check out from 3:20 on! And 3:50 for vocals!

FLIP IT! :cool:

I wouldn't have take that whole guitar, but it's so dope so why not, right? Strings are a nice addition. Drums are a bit dry in the mix, bass sounds good.

I think this song has so many samples, or at least so many ways to flip it.
I really liked the chord progression so didnt want to change it. I might flip it again, but something a bit more unrecognisable

TWU

The.Widely.Unknown

Nice flip! Drums go well with the sample chops. I like how you layered the delayed 'eeee' vocal. The guitar(?) in the middle part is a nice add on, but would be really dope if it's a complete solo instead of 2 patterns. Could also be a little more present in the mix if it was a solo.
Do you use a vsti to create a bassline? It's a little on the heavy side to go with the vibe of the sample. In the sample itself there's already a bassline (sticking with the chords).
Maybe you can try putting a highpass filter on the sample bus (like 350hz or something) to give space for your own bassline.

Do you work with flstudio?

Mind sharing the stems (without plugins on the master bus), so I can make a remix of it?

Nice flip! Drums go well with the sample chops. I like how you layered the delayed 'eeee' vocal. The guitar(?) in the middle part is a nice add on, but would be really dope if it's a complete solo instead of 2 patterns. Could also be a little more present in the mix if it was a solo.
Do you use a vsti to create a bassline? It's a little on the heavy side to go with the vibe of the sample. In the sample itself there's already a bassline (sticking with the chords).
Maybe you can try putting a highpass filter on the sample bus (like 350hz or something) to give space for your own bassline.

Do you work with flstudio?

Mind sharing the stems (without plugins on the master bus), so I can make a remix of it?
I work with cubase, I did try filtering the sample to cut out as much low end as I could without it starting to sound a bit thin.
I will track it out for you and upload to my google drive, I still have an hour and a half to download gta 5, once thats done I will sort it out for you, if I fall asleep before that then Ill get it sorted when I wake up later on.

Reactions: TWU

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
I work with cubase, I did try filtering the sample to cut out as much low end as I could without it starting to sound a bit thin.
I will track it out for you and upload to my google drive, I still have an hour and a half to download gta 5, once thats done I will sort it out for you, if I fall asleep before that then Ill get it sorted when I wake up later on.
gta5 on what?!

hosie

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 5
Yoooooooooooo! ALL of these are really nice flips. Can't believe there's been pretty much no feedback given. I think it's the way of it now. Folk so concerned with themselves that giving feedback or actually listening to something or someone else is too much like hard work. Sad really!

All totally different styles and takes on the sample and I still think there's tons more that can be done with it. Come on folks...get in here and show some love. THIS IS WHAT THE SITE IS ALL ABOUT!

@2GooD Productions Let's just talk about the second flip because it's STUPIDLY NICE!!! But I want it mixed just a smidgen sweeter. Those drums need a home of their own. WHY YOU HIDING THEM? They're so good but I feel they're glued to the underside of the sample like some helpless Lemmings. I'd offer the kick a little mid-range boost to really throw that snare. Throw it like you're launching a stick of dynamite into a sea of dragons. Maybe even have one at lower velocity on the run up to the snare and EVEN drop a heavy mid-range kick ON the snare too? Not a criticism as this is a belter of a flip! Love it...

@BassThumper Not really sure what to make of this one to be honest dude. If you're just looping it up you really need those drums to be absolutely slamming or have a bassline that cuts through it like a samurai sword whilst uprooting plankton. It sort of just sounds like you've looped a rock song at the moment. :-/

@EsquireMusic111 What!?!?!?!? I swallowed a Neptunes drum kit, once. Good times! Seriously, has N.O.R.E called you about this yet? Man, I hope you're old enough to know who he is. The bounce, the drums AND the sample are great! It's like you heard @BassThumper say "No bells and whistles" and you went straight into your "Bells and whistles" folder and picked out the ones titled "MOTHERFUCKING BELLS" and "DIS DAT WHISTLE BITCH!". Peach! Love it!

@3mpireV Love this, man. Chopping, throwing drums like Amber Heard throws cans and an extremely threatening bass. What's not to like? Even killing it dead at 1:39 was great too. You did what you had to and got out. That's what I like. Not enough folk do this. It's perfect on it's own and I reckon some uniquely flowed rhymes over this would give it a whole different perspective. Worth tossing an acapella over it and seeing what you get. You really let that guitar shine through too. Couldn't have used that vocal byte any better. Really diggin the effects on the drums and percussion. EVERYTHING about this beat seems thought out and executed with every other element in mind. Belter! Love it!

THIS IS WHAT THE SITE IS ALL ABOUT!

@2GooD Productions Let's just talk about the second flip because it's STUPIDLY NICE!!! But I want it mixed just a smidgen sweeter. Those drums need a home of their own. WHY YOU HIDING THEM? They're so good but I feel they're glued to the underside of the sample like some helpless Lemmings. I'd offer the kick a little mid-range boost to really throw that snare. Throw it like you're launching a stick of dynamite into a sea of dragons. Maybe even have one at lower velocity on the run up to the snare and EVEN drop a heavy mid-range kick ON the snare too? Not a criticism as this is a belter of a flip! Love it...
Thanks, listening back now and you are right, the kick is far too low in the mix. Funny how you dont notice something until somebody else points it out lol. Yes, this is what this site is all about. Helping each other make dope beats, but these days its all take with very little contribution. Everybody wants everything for nothing, they want their dreams to fall into their laps and fuck everyone else. The social media age, where reality is hidden behind a wall of people pretending to be what they aint, no wonder its all going to shit. But enough social commentary for one day lol

@EsquireMusic111 this is a dope flip, I like the way you panned different chops, really creative flip. I really like it. I think the low end could be a bit cleaner, it could have a little more boom and a little less mud.

@3mpireV This is another really creative flip, stays really interesting and it would really suit an offkey kind of rapper, like Kool Keith, or Doom, or even Killah Priest

3mpireV

Battle Points: 10
@hosie Thank you for the feedback!! It’s really nice to see your enthusiasm!

I have issues with giving feedback since I’m quite new to beatmaking and you guys have far greater knowledge, skillset and experience. It feels odd to throw around my opinion with no background but you’re right, not commenting is probably the wrong conclusion.

@2GooD Productions I love those elements you added in the first one but I prefer your second beat. There is something in it that feels like an accordion to me.

I like the way you layer things. It’s true for your other beats as well: a lot going on at the same time but it doesn’t feel crowded.