Microphone

MORFEEUS

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I would like to know what would be a good mic for under $400....I was considering the Blue Spark, Bluebird, or Baby Bottle....any other suggestions...I want to get a new mic pretty quick...right now Im using an MXL 990 with a Presonus TubePre??????

Scholar

willing vic to the music
ill o.g.
well this is a tricky question, not all mics sound the same, so with that said, i would suggest you see if the store will allow you to A&B a few different ones. Look into AKG, Audio tech,Blue, studio projects,Rode...just a few to name. hope this helps

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
Make sure you invest in a good preamp.. I'm not sure how serious you are about this but I'd shell out some good cash for a better preamp

Avalon
Grace
meek
Mindprints

these are all good

Mics.. depends on you voice.. Rode,Blue,Studio Projects,audio tecnhnica,neumann all carry good condenser mics

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
NO! It is the most overrated pre amp of all time. People get them because someone else has one. I mean I guess they are better than the pre's say in a mackie mixer. But they are no where near worth the price.

The ONLY two pre amps that really blew me away are

Vintech, Chandler

UA and API stuff also rocks. But I would NEVER EVER buy an avalon, even the build quality is a bit sketchy.

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
NO! It is the most overrated pre amp of all time. People get them because someone else has one. I mean I guess they are better than the pre's say in a mackie mixer. But they are no where near worth the price.

The ONLY two pre amps that really blew me away are

Vintech, Chandler

UA and API stuff also rocks. But I would NEVER EVER buy an avalon, even the build quality is a bit sketchy.

Oh yea! Vintechs are good! Avalon overrated could be but I've never heard a bad recording from an avalon preamp pro or amature. I like the little 500.00 unit they have floating around. I don't suggest paying full price for one ever

Avalon VT-737SP I've found a few for 500.00 on ebay. Most of the preamps on the market are better than mackie

Morph what's your budget

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Shure Ksm37 Lol.. OLD schoolin it...

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
For rappers get a shure sm7 (not the sm57) or the sennheiser md421

I second the MD421, its not as "airy" as I prefer usually for the style of vocal track I like to lace up but its great for SPL handling and it does sound pretty natural on the voice over all...I kinda prefer the EV-RE20 for a dynamic on rap vocals, but thats just my personal pref, both are great mics though for yelling and getting loud close to the mic.

Shure sm7b.

I actually used to own one of these but sold it, kinda wish I kept it now though cuz it was a great dynamic.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
Yea, seems like we all like a really nice dynamic. Forgot to add the RE20 to the list. Shon is correct, that is a great mic.

@Sucio the KSm37 is a great mic, but it has such a sibilance problem it can be tricky! Have you used it on non rap vocals?

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
My clip for my 421 cracked so Ive been strictly tracking vox through my Groove Tubes MD1b-FET lately though...i love the intimate/close-up/airy sound you get with it but you gotta position it just right and have the performer a particular distance away from the diaphragm in order to not overload or get sibilance...still a dope mic as well though.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
I kinda do and here is why....

Blue mics are fantastic, no doubt. But I don't think you should get them until you have three or four other good mics. As it seems like Blue mics are really, really good at a few specific things and are not all-rounders like an MD421 or an EV20 would be. For example the Blue mouse is an AMAZING kick drum mic, but I don't know if I would use it anywhere else. It seems like its better to build up a more versatile mic collection first and then get the specific stuff next. That being said, I am sure you will have a blast rockin that blue mic!

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Hey Morpheus, I dunno how decent the stock tubes are that come in the TubePre, but you might also consider swapping the OG one out with a nice replacement too...that could help impart a different/nice tone on your vox as well...

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Yea, seems like we all like a really nice dynamic. Forgot to add the RE20 to the list. Shon is correct, that is a great mic.

@Sucio the KSm37 is a great mic, but it has such a sibilance problem it can be tricky! Have you used it on non rap vocals?

Yes...I love it, still...

But we use a tube preamp...

But it's good for the $$ You can get one for like $299 new...less, used....

MORFEEUS

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Im trying to build up my mic collection but the SPARK is an upgrade from my MXL990....LOL....my father in law gave me a KSM27 that is broken but when I reached out to SHURE they said they dont even support that model anymore...but if i send them like $110 bucks they would give me the new model of that mic....how good is that mic i see u say the ksm37 so how is the ksm27

members online