Microtonality in beatmaking

Crispifier

The Real SlimSpaceship
Battle Points: 15
so came across this video on youtube wondering if any of you have ever tried something like this ? using microtonality just seems really weird an interesting too me :p

yeah it does seem like a lot of hassle for something that will sound quite strange :p i just think the theory of it is really cool like introducing arabic elements etc to melodies there are a lot of possibilities i've never thought of
Im such a lazy producer, Im not really into sound design if there is a patch that will do the job in a fraction of the time.
I find my best beats just make themselves very quickly with the least amount of effort, the time comes from polishing it.

These days I find if I spend too much time on any one aspect that I lose my train of thought, get sidetracked, so now I just get it all recorded, and will spend a load of time polishing what is already good IMO.

Horses for courses, there is a lot to learn with sound design, and I often use basic sound design techniques to make patches my own, or make them fit better, whether its ADSR, or layering. It can be fun, but it can also sidetrack you from what you was trying to do in the first place. Everything you know is a tool in the arsenal and will only make you a better producer. Im just too lazy for that these days.

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166
Im such a lazy producer, Im not really into sound design if there is a patch that will do the job in a fraction of the time.
I find my best beats just make themselves very quickly with the least amount of effort, the time comes from polishing it.

These days I find if I spend too much time on any one aspect that I lose my train of thought, get sidetracked, so now I just get it all recorded, and will spend a load of time polishing what is already good IMO.

Horses for courses, there is a lot to learn with sound design, and I often use basic sound design techniques to make patches my own, or make them fit better, whether its ADSR, or layering. It can be fun, but it can also sidetrack you from what you was trying to do in the first place. Everything you know is a tool in the arsenal and will only make you a better producer. Im just too lazy for that these days.
I get your point. When you have an idea, you can easily get sidetracked by all this stuff... However, in case of writer's block, trying such things can be helpful.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 543
Interesting stuff.

I usually employ a much simpler and probably less accurate method when I want certain "ethnic" sounding vibes.*
Found it quite interesting how the arabic-ish sounding thing he done.

Was dating an asian chick and any time she sung a western song there'd always be this asian sounding twang in it. Was hard to explain but I'm wondering if it has anything to do with an innate alternate tuning.

Been wanting to explore other systems of music, but my theory understanding and performance doesn't stretch as far as to just easily translate/play it as this guy.

Cool stuff tho.

*Ironically actually got couple ideas recorded of this sort I'm gonna be working next on

Crispifier

The Real SlimSpaceship
Battle Points: 15
@Iron Keys

to be fair this guy is a professional jazz keyboard / bassplayer so even coming close to his level of musicallity is next to impossible for most people :p

yeah i do think there is something to taking yourself out of your comfort zone when making music that can create some very cool results i also really like the idea of not deciding on genre before making a track (though this does come with the risk of not getting the asthetic right) i guess it very much comes down to the producer/musician, some people like to focus on one style/sound and sort of become experts, others like to dabble an incorporate lots different things into their stuff i think both directions are good in their own way :)

@2GooD Productions thats very interesting not sure it has to do with laziness though if i understand correctly you've been doing this for a long time, so you sort of already have an established sound and adding more elements into it wouldn't necessarily make it sound any better (since it's already dope af :p) i also think that effortless aspect you mentioned does show in your beats, when something is high level it looks/sounds effortless to others i think ?

members online