Mics and Preamps....(help)

adomav17

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Well.... these are the mics i might be gettin once i get the money:

http://samash.com/catalog/showitem....rase=&Contains=&Search_Type=SEARCH&GroupCode=

http://samash.com/catalog/showitem....*+AND+*project*&Search_Type=SEARCH&GroupCode=

of course i'll only be gettin on of them.....lol and those prices are basically my budget.... could anyone tell me if they would be good, and if there are any other mics that i should consider in that price range...... also would i need a preamp to hook it up to my comp? and if so which one should i get that would match them... because i heard somewhere that the mic and preamp must have a certain combination of impendencies and phantom power to work well together......?

thanks for any help yall could give...

peace

J-ReZyN

Soul Slinger
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
The SM58 is always a good choice and is used by a lot of people because its got a proven track record for great quality, good sound and rugged construction. I own one an think it's great. I haven't used the Studio Projects B1 so I can't comment on it, but if you're just recoding vocals though and not performing live, many people would suggest going with a condenser mic over a dynamic mic. There are some decent condensers mics in the $100 range. Check the Illmuzik Resources forums because theres tons of info there to help you. What kind of sound card are you using? Some audio interfaces have mic pre's built in with phantom power eliminating the need for a sperate mic pre amp, but without knowing what you have I can't really give more info. Check the Resources forums, read some reviews on some music gear sites other than Sam Ash, and do some research.

adomav17

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yeah i been tryin to do my research... from what ive read the sm58 and 57 are some of the most versatile affordable mics out there.... but ive been hearin good things bout the studio projects b1 too... yeah im just usin it to record vocals... nothin else really so i might just get the b1..... i think i might need a new soundcard too, because to be honest i dont know what soundcard i have... but its the one that came wit my comp and it dont even have an asio driver so i doubt it has phantom power

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Can I just now tell everyone to tell 10 friends to tell 10 friends to NOT shop at SAM ASSHOLE?
But ok do what ya gotta the web isnt lettin the page load but I saw Sam and thought that I should tell you that.WOW besides cricket its hard to find worse cutomer service.
OH MARS WHY DID YOU LEAVE US??

J-ReZyN

Soul Slinger
ill o.g.
Yeah, if your just using the soundcard that came with the computer you really should think about upgrading. If you're gonna get a new sound card anyway then you should consider one with a built in mic preamp to keep things simple. There are gonna be alot of people who will tell you to go with a seperate mic pre, or that you need a tube preamp, or one thing or the other. My point is theres a wide range of choices and as many personal preferences and opinions. The deciding factor should be your budget, how serious you are about getting into it, your own personal preferences and a whle host of other factors. You can get setup nice on a tight budget or blow tons of cash on pro gear if you got that kind of dough. You came to the right place though, you'll find many threads in here covering soundcards, mic preamps and every other piece of gear you need info on. I'm sure you'll find many post with others in the same situation and you can see what they picked up and suggestions that they were given.

And Relic is not joking about Sam Asshole...spend your dough somewhere else and avoid the bullshit! HA HA...LOL...SAM ASSHOLE...That's shits mad funny!

J-ReZyN

Soul Slinger
ill o.g.
I personally have picked up quite a few things from zzounds and I really like them. They always have some of the lowest prices around, they shipped all my stuff crazy fast, usually with free shipping if you spend like over $100, the service is great and you can even call them up to ask questions and they are very helpful. www.musiciansfriend.com is ok too, I've gotten stuff from them also. I'm sure there are people who might disagree, but I've been happy with them. Guitarcenter is alright too but I haven't purchased too many things them because then I get hit with the taxes!

members online