Midi Controllers

Mike Black

ManBitesDogRecords
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Where are my midi controller people at? What do you use, and are you satisfied with it?

I’ve been rockin with an m-audio axiom25. Can’t complain, does the job and is very user friendly with my DAW (Logic 9). Been thinking of upgrading for a while. I like the 49 key axiom because of the faders. I love the key x pad combo. I prefer more pads though for drums and samples. Figured maybe I would stick with what I got and just add an akai MPD to the setup. That way I would still have the keys on my axiom to construct my basslines, yada yadda. We shall see.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
M-Audio KeyStudio 49 and AKAI MPD32 hooked up at the moment. Yes, I really like them both but I am gonna upgrade them soon. I've got a barely used Maschine and a Roland MV-8800 that I think will always be my "go to".

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
I think that Keystation x MPD combo would suite me fine for what I’m doing at the moment.

Yeah I really like them both but like dp said...you gotta pound the pads on the MPD32, AKAI should have added a sensitivity button on that thing...lol. But it's built like a tank and it weighs just about twice as much as Maschine, the thing is very solid!

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
old edirol pcr-m50 49 key controller. will be getting axiom 61 key soon, in the process of changing the setup.

Krazyfingaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
Started with the Korg Pad Kontrol which I sold and upgraded to the MPD32 I also own maschine and an axion 25 which I will be upgrading to the MPK 49.

JustRipe

Analog Architect
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 75
have a simple mpd 26, does everything i need, which isnt much just us it to record using the pads, and they were never hard to hit or stiff always been nice and soft touch for me anyways, i had an mpc1000 and got the pad upgrade, pads were just as good as my mpd26 although my mpd is about a year old and been used alot maybe they are just worn in now but i dont remember them ever being stiff, i want a axiom 25 for basslines really, u say that thing is cuttin it for you?

2infamouz

Mad Beats, No Angry Vegetables
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 10
i've had a axiom-61 for a loooong ass time. I grabbed the m-audio keystation for the extra keys (pretty good price too) and play w/ the keystation but do my automation with the axioms sliders/knobs. Really interested in checking out some synths like the Venom or one of the big boys like the M3, but for now im def satisfied w/ midi.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304

Cymatic Kicks

ill o.g.
I have:

Axiom 49 - love the keys, solid

APC 40 - I use it constantly while producing and playing live, super versatile

Alesis Control Pad - I use it for producing and live, for producing, if I feel programing some beats aren't human enough, I just play them. Live, I add live percussion on the Control Pad, it's great, and the thing was only $150.

Korg padKONTROL - The pads are great for tapping out beats or remixing samples that are chopped up. I like the pads better on that than the Akai or Axiom pads, but not as good as the Maschine. Plus, it has an x-y pad, so that's awesome.

Korg nanoKontrol - I love the little guy, only $45 or so, and it's got a lot of controls and is tiny. 4 banks (scenes) of 9 knobs, 9 sliders, and 18 buttons, plus transport controls. I know pros who have used this for live performance and nothing else, maybe they'd add in a trigger finger, sometimes just play the nanoKontrol.

Akai MPK Mini - Best bang for the buck, two octaves, super portable, 2 banks of 8 pads, 8 knobs, and there's also 4 programs of the whole thing, like 4 banks/scenes of the entire set up.

Behringer FCB1010 - Midi foot controller, I use it to control things while either playing percussion or guitar while playing live. It doesn't come into play in the studio too much. It's extremely versatile, you can program it do do whatever you want, especially with Bomes Midi Translator, which I do.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Pad Controllers are just like an instrument, they're perfect for banging out drum patterns. They're perfect for putting your ideas together. They increase your workflow. In the time that it takes you create one melody in the piano roll, I could create 5 different patterns with a pad controller.
In the time that it takes you to create a complete drum pattern using the step sequencer, I probably could create at least 10 different patterns on the pads.

What if you wanted a 'human' feel to your drums where everything isn't perfect which is a very popular technique? Look at the time and effort it's gonna take you to achieve that. You gotta mouse in each note, then you gotta adjust the velocities on each note. Whereas you can do it all in one take on pads.

A keyboard is the worst thing that I can think of for doing drums, I think that if I didn't have a pad controller, I still wouldn't use a keyboard for drums. Thats the one time I would use my step seq. and piano roll first...lol.

Pad Controllers are essential bro, think of it as riding a bike. The hardest thing about riding a bike is learning how, but once you get it, you just decreased the time it takes you to go from point A to point B by 80%.

H.Quality

ILLIEN
Pad Controllers are just like an instrument, they're perfect for banging out drum patterns. They're perfect for putting your ideas together. They increase your workflow. In the time that it takes you create one melody in the piano roll, I could create 5 different patterns with a pad controller.
In the time that it takes you to create a complete drum pattern using the step sequencer, I probably could create at least 10 different patterns on the pads.

What if you wanted a 'human' feel to your drums where everything isn't perfect which is a very popular technique? Look at the time and effort it's gonna take you to achieve that. You gotta mouse in each note, then you gotta adjust the velocities on each note. Whereas you can do it all in one take on pads.

A keyboard is the worst thing that I can think of for doing drums, I think that if I didn't have a pad controller, I still wouldn't use a keyboard for drums. Thats the one time I would use my step seq. and piano roll first...lol.

Pad Controllers are essential bro, think of it as riding a bike. The hardest thing about riding a bike is learning how, but once you get it, you just decreased the time it takes you to go from point A to point B by 80%.

You make some good points. I think I might try Pads, if I get a chance. I have other stuff to do first, (My RAM issue for starters) but if I ever get around to it, could you recommend a good controller? I'd rather something with good pads that don't need to be replaced, but costs less than 200.

members online