Midi question

soundboy2

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Right now I use my Mpc as a Midi sequencer for my Triton and a couple of sound modules I just got. I sequence on the MPC and the audio runs out of the sound modules and the triton into the mixer. What I don't underrstand is what is the reason or benefit of my mixer/workstation having midi. What would the benefit be that my mixer/ or disk recorder have midi in/out. Sorry if this is dumb, of course I will probally figure it out in a few months , but can someone explain.

A

ACEBEATZ

soundboy2 said:
Right now I use my Mpc as a Midi sequencer for my Triton and a couple of sound modules I just got. I sequence on the MPC and the audio runs out of the sound modules and the triton into the mixer. What I don't underrstand is what is the reason or benefit of my mixer/workstation having midi. What would the benefit be that my mixer/ or disk recorder have midi in/out. Sorry if this is dumb, of course I will probally figure it out in a few months , but can someone explain.

One sure thing is that you can't record music with midi, but maybe is your workstation a midi sequencer?? Or another thing possible is to add controller to your machine, like a fader box or rotary that you can assign to some functions. But wut is that mixer disk recorder that you talk about wut is the model, right about now it's hard to help you. Tell me all about your kit.

Holla Ace

soundboy2

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
The mixer is the Yamaha Promix and I got a Tascam 788 that I let my artist take home and record in, Both have a midi in. My understanding is that midi out sends a messages to the midi in which would trigger a sound. But the mixer doesnt have sounds in it. So what kind of message is being sent.
Is there some kind of timing message that would help sync the sequencer and the disk recorder on the Tascam. I went like a year not using midi and then when I finally started using it, it took me up a few levels in my game, so I see the midi in on the mixer and have ask what I'm I missing.

Now ERKL, are u saying I can controll the mixer settings, using the MP or the triton to control the mixer settings, like channel volume and eq and all that.

A

ACEBEATZ

soundboy2 said:
The mixer is the Yamaha Promix and I got a Tascam 788 that I let my artist take home and record in, Both have a midi in. My understanding is that midi out sends a messages to the midi in which would trigger a sound. But the mixer doesnt have sounds in it. So what kind of message is being sent.
Is there some kind of timing message that would help sync the sequencer and the disk recorder on the Tascam. I went like a year not using midi and then when I finally started using it, it took me up a few levels in my game, so I see the midi in on the mixer and have ask what I'm I missing.

Now ERKL, are u saying I can controll the mixer settings, using the MP or the triton to control the mixer settings, like channel volume and eq and all that.

I suppose that if your promix is midi in and out its for controlling somthing i dont know this sort of mixer, probably you can hook it with the tascam to control functions.
Lemme do a lil search over the net and il'll come back here with wut i can.

Holla Ace

A

ACEBEATZ

Ok i chekcked it

Your mixer have midi in and out because you can use it with a pc to control a software or to control another hardware machine. You can sequence automatisations in a pc too instead of automatisation on your mixer, so you can do really precise job.so your mixer will move alone, as you set it. Your tascam is a hardware recorder, midi in and out are for being controlled by other hardware or to sync with other hardware or with a sequencer software. So you could for example sync your audio recorded in tascam to play and start with your beat in mpc, your triton or with reason in your pc.but in your case it would be not great since i suppose you use your recorder to put voice over your beats,that you have recorded in the tascam from your triton, played by the mpc. you could use your promix to control your tascam with more precision or add effects (from those of the promix) while going out of the triton to the tascam when you record your beat. Promix can be a great mixer for lil shows too.Hope that could help!

Holla Ace