Missy Elliot aka. The recycler...

• beat this! voting starts in...

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Any opinions on using old, but still hot beats, and rapping on them?

I mean, Missy Elliot has done this a BUNCH of times.

Bring the pain, recycles Bring the pain by Method Man
That track on the Honey soundtrack, recycles Y'all been warned by Wu-Tang
Lose control, recycles Planet Rock by Afrika Bambaataa & Soul Sonic Force
We run this, recycles Sugar Hill Gang - Apache
Work it also used parts from Peter Piper

Triple trouble by Beastie boys also recycled Rapper's Delight by Sugar Hill Gang.

Any thoughts on this?
Should it be considered just sampling?

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Hey man the thing is this is my spin on that ( and yes it is sampling), I have also given a lot of thought to this, its almost like wine the old stuff is the best thats why they do it....the songs are already familiar so its easier to make a hot song off of it......I mean all of the old music gets sampled over and over, it is sort of ridiculous because at one point you could really find DOPE records no one sampled, almost all of the hits or ones your folks or grandparents remember have been touched and put out on some hip hop records.....not to say there isnt any records left, but.......think about this....if people are making songs that are not original (only original in the arrangement and sampling methods) but keeping the same familar melody and then suddenly its a hot beat that gets old and I am starting to hear songs over and over that were hip hop joints not too long ago and its one more step easier becuz someone already did the hard digging themselves back then now the producers today just download the mp3 and its a done deal...no vinyl, no digging...instant beats and a lot of times especially now there is not a lot of alteration of the original song just a few drums play the bassline over possibly and its done...., myself think its ok even though i have vinyl and do sample from it, its really getting old as far as the same song that was a hit by itself not so long ago was sampled by a hip hop producer in the 90's.....then here we ago again...its happening all over...........I mean I hope that there are some artists and bands that care enough as both musicians and producers to make some completely, Quality original shit....LOL I mean some real music, not sampled but put together some dope songs, something memorable not with some melody from the 60's 70's or 80's......think about it....were those the only really creative generations as far as putting together a real band and making real original songs from scratch just using a scale to build a new song off of?........

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
yeah well i am here to change all of this, lol

i dont really care. nothing is sacred, all is up for grabs, sampling is sampling period... wether we like it or not.

i could care less. i hated these last two missy songs. party because they just arent very good remakes to me, but mainly because i always wanted to eventually bring the electro sound back and incor[perate it into my music, not sampling already made hits but doing my own thing, but now i would just be looked at as another biter. oh well.

T

The Bastard

Im Cool With It, I Love Hearin Shit Like That And Bein Like Yo What Did They Make That Beat Out Of, And Spending 3 Hours Tryin To Figure It Out

S

Svenghali

Missy is just paying homage to the music that influenced her creatively and musically. I'm cool with as long as it's her doin' it.