Mixer / Audio Interface !?

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
yo, i been looking at getting a mixer recently, as i need more I/O for my recording at first i was gonna buy a basic mixer ( yamaha mg 16/4 ) but ive been tempted by some of the audio interfaces lately like the m-audio one othe digi control 8 tascam fw's etc, whats peoples opinions of these is it worth waiting and saving up to buy one of these all in one interface and mixers etc ?

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Get both meaning you should save up for a I/O like motu HD192, Lynx aurora or Profools. For a mixer you should look into something with tape outs for every channel on the console. A&H mixwizard are great consoles imo but there are loads if you want to pay for quality or not hehe but i think having the patience to save up is the best you can do.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
ahhhh so if i go for something like you suggested formanat, then i get like an i/o like the lynx then i get a normal analogue mixer and i can then mix on my analogue mixer and then i/o converts it and allows me to mix the stuff on my pc ?
i didnt realise that was another option ?

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Editing on pc, mixdown via console ( analog summing whilst using digital recordings and vst and i's). You can also record a whole band if you like to but maybe 8 channels might be enough for you, its a thing which you need to think when planning out a budget. The mixwizard is cool because the of quality in the cirquitry and the nice 4 band british eq, in fact there's little on 16 channels that the console doesnt has so it becomes a tool of all sorts. I've also worked on mackies, ghosts and soundtracs of which the soundtracs comes out best for the money, speaking of the Topaz project 8 model which is definitly worth looking for. Ive seen them go cheap secondhand in mint condition, pretty much a third of new mixwizard 16:2, but then that's new hehe.

members online