Mixing in Audition 2

Wizdom

Soul Collector
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
When mixing in Audition, I typically like to leave a bit of "headroom" on the levels of each track. I saw another thread about digital summing - how when all of your mix is going into the master, the collective tracks can clip, etc. The question - is it better to leave some headroom (say -3db) prior to adding final effects in the master (e.g., EQ, Compressor, etc.). Or, do you let the master "clip" into the red and just compress everything down under 0db??

Wizdom

Soul Collector
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
ha.. i'm sure your mixes are better than mine. i've been trying to do both and i don't know which works. I'll keep trying different ones, unless anyone has some ideas. I guess these same principles apply to most of these DAWs... peace

kbthakingpin

ill o.g.
i would say leave head room .. for mastering of course .. if it clips it's gonna be distorted and if thas the sound your goin for then u should let it clip ..

Symphonic

Custom User Title
ill o.g.
i level em all to 0 db, or a bit less, or add a hardlimiter on -0.1 db on each track so it won't clip. Then lower the master channel until the master won't clip. so that one might be on like -4/5 db sometimes. And then just lower the channels you want to have less amped in the mix, and compensate the loss of volume with a little extra volume on the master.
But with mixing it is up to you, not really a good or wrong, just choices you make and just make sure you take your time save it and listen a couple of times on dffrent systems, than correct all the mistakes you hear. And try again, the better yu want to have your shit mixed usually the more time it takes, just like everything else.