Mixing Music

Nocturnl

Man Utd Nut
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
But by the time it is nearly finished u heard it so many times u hate it to the point where u either delete it or have a break and dont go back...well i dont

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Yea, it wasnt a finished beat then. You cant expect an unfinished beat to sound good mixed, should I say

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
^ True story.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Thats just the thing, we discussed this once before... Personally, I like mixing but if an artist comes to me wanting a finished product, I strongly suggest that he allows me to do the final mix before mastering it. Saves me a lot of time on trying to fix ish in the mastering process. I prefer to fix it in the mix if I have that option. A lot of engineers like to separate the processes (which they are 2 different processes) but I hate going behind someone elses mix (if we're not on the same page) and try to compress ish in the mastering process. I'd rather do both.

As for compressing in the mix, I will do it if it's the only way to get the correct results but if I can avoid it, I do.

Nocturnl

Man Utd Nut
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I use compression on nearly every kick...thought everyone else did,i guess not

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I like to avoid compression when possible... I mean eveything gets busses and compressed lightly but I'm not one for the squashing

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
WHAT? You don't use any compression on your kick, bass drum etc? You also dont use a compressor on vocals ETC?

Seriously dac? Oh man, I got a few books you need to read.

1. and if you compress sampled music, then you can't read! hahaha!

2. Compress vocals? Out of the 8 yrs I've been on ill uploading beats, I've NEVER uploaded a beat that had "recorded vocals" on it, or are you referring to snip-lets from pre-recorded material? and if you compress them, see #1

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Ill compress a kick if it needs it...alot of these samples nowadays sound fine though...Ill compress it on the drum buss...The only time I really compress kicks is if Im dealing with a thin 808, bass drum, or a "rock" kick (u know the onea that go "pap" instead of "boom"

I rarely use compression on individual tracks, I do compress vocals, just to eliminate ups and down in volume, I always compress the final mixdown tho, but only very slightly. I dont like the pumping compression where it affects the clarity of the mix. Where the hi freq's drop out to allow for the low's. I always eliminate the extreme low end below 30-35hz before compression tho the allow the rest to shine.

members online