Mixing Tutorials

Warzone Beat Battle

TjombaBeats

Mister Miyagi Beats
Battle Points: 15
I can give you some tricks with compressing drums or sounds. When compressing a kick snare or hat or the whole drum thing together. Use a hard Knee on drum tracks treshold depends on how loud the output volume of the drum is. Attack= when the compressor wil start working afther the threshold point has been reached. For a kick and snare for example you would want a compressor to react fast right so attack is lower number lets say 30-50 maybe even 20. Release how long the compressor wil keep working afther the volume gos below the threshold. Release is ussually short aswell with drums. Ratio for drums keep it @ 1:5 or 2. How wil it sound if you overcompress.. You will prety much start hearing a kinda suck effect yeah sounds weird but its very identical. Compressor wil give your drums more punch and willl make your drums sound fatter.

Pads/Synths: Use Soft knee on the compressor. Threshold depends on the output volume of the sound. Attack ussually longer than with kicks for example if i have a pad i will ussually start of with 50 and maybe go up to 80-100. For release also longer times ussually maybe 300 to 500 . Threshold for pads synths stuff you can easily put ratio @ 3:1 or 4:1 but also 1.5:1 and 2:1 are commen aswell.

Another tip i learned from sound design. If the compressor compresses more than 3 DB you will start using the compressor more as an effect if you compress more than 3 DB it wil alter your sound pretty drastically from there off. Use the compressor wisely.. It can make/break your beat. Use your ears try to hear what the compressor does. It's very hard to notice as a beginner beatmaker but when you get more experience you wil pretty much do it by listening to the sound. Good luck and stay creative.

Members online

Latest Beat It Up! Results
Beat #3
3 votes
Beat #2
2 votes
Beat #1
1 votes

ill resources