mixtape cds

BourbanBoi

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
i was just wondering about something........................i bought a underground mixtape but it had some songs by new commercial artist on it (Lil Jon,usher and etc.) i was wondering do they have to ask the artist to have song on there cd ...................because this a underground d.j ( indie d.j)but i bought the cd at a Sam Goody....................i was just wondering if they have to ask the artist permission,he had the name of the songs on the back,but not the artists name....................Holla @ Me cuz i was thinking about getting into tha mixtape scene

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 74
You only have to if you are selling them for money.

BourbanBoi

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
thats what i'm thinking about doing...................anyone have any info how to get started legal wise,holla @ me

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Well if you selling it on the street or givin out for promotion you don't need the artists or label permission. But if he had it selling in samgoody then he probably had permission to use the songs. cause as far as I know samgoody doesn't sell underground and street dj mix cds.

Also don't take this the wrong way but if ur not realy a dj please don't try to make money off of sellin mixtapes. The mixtape field is toooooo flooded wit "djs" already.

But if you want to do legal compilation mix cds like funk master flex 60 "mins of funk" or something like that then u have to contact the labels of the artists and get the licsence to use the song and u have to credit each artist or publisher of the song. Ofeten u have to pay good money to do this.

If your realy a dj and want to do mix cds then just get music from any source u can. Mix it and sell ur cds locally in mixtape spots in your area.