[MIXTAPE] Gonzo - Birdel's Records Way

Hi all,

Since I joined the forum a few months ago I've been working on this project--inspired by many of the beatmakers and MC's I've met through Freestyle Fridays and FTC. Moreso this mixtape represents the nostalgia I used to feel when searching for vinyl as a young teenager in New York. This usually was the main destination and fortunately was able to briefly live in this area--which to me was a milestone in my life--where I met my wife and started my independent beat-making career.

The BKReader states that For 45 years, Mr. Long ran Birdel's Records, located on Nostrand Ave and Herkimer St., one of the longest-standing small businesses in the community-- inarguably a staple in Bed-Stuy. The neighborhood was changing as well. The faces were changing; the community wasn't the same, said Long. Small businesses that had been around for years were disappearing in a flash, and in their place arrived higher-end retail stores and restaurant chains. Before the Notorious B.I.G.'s career took off, he spent hours sampling vinyl records at the store, Long said.

This place used to be the spot for crate diggers in the NYC area. Some of the many tracks you heard from artists on the radio--their ideas may have all originated from this minority owned store alone. My neighbors on Herkimer still recall the time the place was still vibrant and was a hub for all music goers alike. The street stretch was on was renamed Birdel's Records Way to mark a tone that even if the minority owned record store shutdown with a neighborhood continuing to gentrify...evolving change in the current trend in music making...the essence and soul of crate digging was sure not going anywhere.

This is a personal dedication to my hood, to the artform of sampling, and an ode to a form of NYC hip-hop that I feel responsible to help keep alive today. When you listen please keep in mind that everything is sampled...from the melodies to the basslines and drums. I put a lot of heart into this sound and hopefully can inspire those who sample to do the same with their sound as well. With that said, I'm proud to conclude that i am a product of Birdel's Records Way.

or

Please let me know what you think. Good or bad. But truthfully I wanted to leave behind this small token of appreciation to the style of music I hold very dear to my heart.