Mixtapes

EvRy1~MaN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I know that mixtapes are basically dj's mixing records live on track,but I've been wondering.

Alot of mixtapes feature exclusive vocals from artists and even vocals from movies and stuff.

This may be a stupid question but are these exclusive vocals mixed via vinyl?Do the djs get the recordings on wax or do they just use cd turntables?

And If I was to make a mixtape should I use software to blend mp3 vocals with my vinyl mixes?

I'm tryna stay as analog as possible as far as incoming signals go.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Nowadays all that stuff is running through a computer.
No your not cheating if you use digital. As long as you have a product people want then you have done it right.
All those drops from movies and stuff are probably dropped in with a pc Im sure.
Of course you could sample them on a mixer or somthing depending on your sample time.

Subconscious

ill o.g.
how ever u want to do it is how u should do it. it just depends on the project and how u feel it needs to be done. as long as the finished product is good and people want it, like relic said, then thats all that matters.

some do it with the same software we are making beats with, some use cd decks to mix, some do press special vinyl, and some (like myself) use scratch live or final scratch to get that vinyl feel but still use digital files.

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
if they are getting exclusive vocals or parts from movies, i dont see it being reasonable to press wax just for that. It's hella expensive to press something like that just for a vocal or just for a movie quote. I'd bet it's done digitally.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
techincally a mixtape, these days, is just a compilation of works for a specific cause, or an unspecific cause.

agner management mixtape for example. just a collection of songs and freestyles inspired tby the angermanagement tour. original beats (except for a few freestyles) and all original vocals.

my own mixtape, in fact, is a collection of origianl vocals over original beats.

just like a freestyle is technically a term for a recording that will not be used for a commercial project.

as for doin it on wax, pressing vinyls is very expensive, so i doubt artist are gonna spring for the extra dough to get a single verse pressed. also there are a such thing as CDx turntables. that could be how its done.