Mixtapes?

T

TAHDAH

What is a mixtape? What do they do? Why would a DJ/Producer do one? How much do they cost to make one? Pretty Much Whats The Deal W/ Em?

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 71
im still new on this site but i think you will get more replies and answers to your question if you post it under industry talk. To answer your question though, a mixtape is like an album with a bunch of unsigned artists who want to gain some exposure. Usually producers or dj's make them to promote themselves. The cost to make one can be different depending on what or who you want on it. Im pretty sure thats the basics of one theres probably alot more to them, and if im wrong on any of this someone fill free to correct me. If you want to check out some dope mix tapes check out SoundBombing 1 and 2, and Lyricist Lounge 1, and 2. There are some good artists on them. There are tons more out there you just gotta look for em.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
*Note: This post was in the Industry Talk section but it would be better in The Lounge. Industry Talk is more for questions about the industry - not stuff like mixtapes, someone just go signed to a label, etc.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
Tahdah,

First off, your S/N is killin me. But, Mixtapes are good for exposure. As a producer, ya best bet would be like this:

Copyright the tracks that you want for the tape/CD.
Get some good emcees to spit over em.
Come up with a catchy Title for the package and use a variety of different type beats and Emcees.
Once you have a final product, I would get a team to gether to pass out Promos.

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Basically there are different kind of mixtapes. I think the rest of the guys explained it good just wanna add my $.2 ..... From a producers stand point like was explained a mix tape can be a bunch of artist spitting over your beats. Sorta like a compilation. You can have a dj or some 1 host it. Even a intro and voice overs, drops etc..... From a dj stand point there's blend tapes where djs mix and blend different accapellas and instrumentals together etc.... Or some like Dj clue and Kay slay just get the newest exclussive tracks, freestyles and diss tracks and sequence em on a cd and call it a mixtape..... But by nature amixtape is just that mixed things on a tape (well cd now. Lol).....the reasona dj or producer would want to do these is because it gets you greater exposure. If your a producer your beats would always sound better with some 1 spitting on it. It can help you sell beats. (The guys spittin on the cd won't own the beats) ...for a dj every 1 can't come to the club to hear you. And you can't go play out in every city so a mixtape is a way of having a pressence in different places. ....if you using ur own beats and local artists it won't cost you much. The bulk of the money will go to manufacturing. Just look around and look for the best deal. Don't pay more then $1 a cd (case, printing, ondisc printing , dupin etcc) Just make sure you copyright your beats..... And explain to the artist that they not getting paid and theyr getting exposure. And that your paying all the expenses to have it manufactured... And if your gonna sell it what some djs/producers do is sell a bulk amount to the artist who appear on it for like half of the street price and have them sell it and they keep what ever profit they make. That way you know they'll be out there promotin it cause a) they on it. B) they makin a lil money. Its up ro you tho. Hope dat clarifies it more. ... Sorry for the long run on post (its 5 in the mornin. Lol)

ill o.g.
yo my man dj fantom justdescribed what i am basically doing. the only thing is that I am also trying to put a video dvd with it.

now if he would only answer my Qs about Sonar we'd be straight.

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
DJFANTOM said:
Or some like Dj clue and Kay slay just get the newest exclussive tracks, freestyles and diss tracks and sequence em on a cd and call it a mixtape.....

yeh whats the talent in that???

''yeah ill sign you and give you a few million coz you can compile some tracks on a CD''

''damn you press that play button SO well''

unlike the real mixtapes where the producer has worked his ass off makin beats and gettin artists to spit.

sAfE.

members online