MIxtapes?

Deca

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
what do you guys think of the mixtape way to stardom.
50 cents got popular wit this, but he's not the first to use that format.
and legally how does this fit.

M

MIKELABZ

Not Much Legality In It... U Make A Mixtape On The Basis That It Will Get U Known And Eventually Signed...

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I Just had my latest mixtape drop, via Hollow Point Records in DC......"DA JUNGLE" There are about 5 of my original Joints on the Mixtape also with some normal known Instrumentals.....the last 2 that I did did about 10,000 units total......I have another project I am currently working on that is a Joint 2 city collabo featuring local area artists and another producer and his artists in NYC.....Mixtapes really are a novelty nowadays.....most people that I know especially the label I work with EAT off of their mixtapes SALES no lie, you would be surprised at how much money is changing hands out of trunks...and on corners....more than CRACK....LOL no really mixtapes and beats are serious money, I dunno about your cities or areas but at 3-5 dollars each.....and if you got 3 or 4 people selling them on a daily basis.....you can look at mixtapes for two things......money and some exposure...you might get signed but I think that time has passed.....the latest project is really an album because we are using ALL original instrumentals...I think the trend is going towards originality again.......I mean I have been in PCUTTA's office down here and copped some mixtapes, his graphic design person that does all of his Streetwars mixtapes hooked me up...but they got a Platinum Plaque on the wall up in there...so there is something to mixtapes....

Deca

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
humm

But lets say i got an independant label and i want to release a mixtape, with a couple of know instrumental... i mean cant i just get sued for this.

altough i know money can be made out of this, its specificly to get myself known not sued :p

P

pmJ

Deca said:
But lets say i got an independant label and i want to release a mixtape, with a couple of know instrumental... i mean cant i just get sued for this.

I would say yes you COULD, technically you are using copyrighted material with out written consent from the owner. But if you look at the non-industry cats and especillay Sound Click (no offense) a majority of material on there is unknown emcees spittin over the tighest industry beats and sellin their mixtapes with the beats right off sound click!

altough i know money can be made out of this, its specificly to get myself known not sued :p

Some of our crew members are doin mix tapes to help promote their up coming albums n things, but for me, I'd rather have something and hand it to someone, no quesitons asked!

PM

brooklynstyle

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
it's cool to use copyrighted as long as u say it is for promo purposes only. This is what u call to drop the album on white label. A lotta cats do it.

BourbanBoi

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
i want to get into the mixtape scene..........but basically i would just have the hot new joints that are hitting the streets......so how do i do this legit............because i always thought u would have to have the artist permission to use there song(or is that TRUE )..........can someone help me out please????????????

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
brooklynstyle said:
it's cool to use copyrighted as long as u say it is for promo purposes only. This is what u call to drop the album on white label. A lotta cats do it.
Thing is: If u do this - Your expected to be giving this tape out for FREE and not making any profit off it - thats what makes it exempt and "promotional".

The Konductor

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yo Deca, I've been wondering the same thing about the mixtape business. I read an article w/ Dj Whoo Kid, and that cat states that he ain't even really a Dj. He just pushes buttons.

So the fact that someone puts for promotional use only on the tape, is what makes it legal for you to push a tape w/ Games new shit etc...? What happens when that tape sells a million? Someone has to take notice besides the IRS. I guess a million is alot and if you can sell that many on your own, then labels probably want to hire you, instead of sue you. Whoo Kid has tapes out there that he's been makin loot off of for like six yrs.

This is what I want to know. I've listened to Dj Rob Deniro, Vlaad, Green Lantern etc... and these cats are taking elements from three or four different songs and makin a track/mix. Like the other day I heard a track with Biggie rappin over Hotel California. How are the cats getting soloed vocal tracks? How are they putting Kanye, Easy E, Pac, Biggie, all the same track, especially when these artists are dead? Whoo Kid says that he has insiders that basically gank tracks from studios. Cool, but can all these Dj's who have sprung up in the last few be doing the same thing to get solo vocals.

Deca

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Voila thats exactly what i was wondering. but doesnt the fact of saying for promotional use only obligate you to give it away and not sell it?

The Konductor said:
Yo Deca, I've been wondering the same thing about the mixtape business. I read an article w/ Dj Whoo Kid, and that cat states that he ain't even really a Dj. He just pushes buttons.

So the fact that someone puts for promotional use only on the tape, is what makes it legal for you to push a tape w/ Games new shit etc...? What happens when that tape sells a million? Someone has to take notice besides the IRS. I guess a million is alot and if you can sell that many on your own, then labels probably want to hire you, instead of sue you. Whoo Kid has tapes out there that he's been makin loot off of for like six yrs.

This is what I want to know. I've listened to Dj Rob Deniro, Vlaad, Green Lantern etc... and these cats are taking elements from three or four different songs and makin a track/mix. Like the other day I heard a track with Biggie rappin over Hotel California. How are the cats getting soloed vocal tracks? How are they putting Kanye, Easy E, Pac, Biggie, all the same track, especially when these artists are dead? Whoo Kid says that he has insiders that basically gank tracks from studios. Cool, but can all these Dj's who have sprung up in the last few be doing the same thing to get solo vocals.

hobgoblin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
mixtapes

I wish we had a mixtape circuit over here in the UK (besides the grime tapes in london), but the streets arn't reall checkin for uk artists at all - producers over here are fucked because 95% of uk artists are wack - or pop music. Radio airplay is a much better avenue for us.

The Konductor

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Damn! Sounds like I should move to the U.K. I'd wreck it in another country. I'd wreck it here, but I'm not connected with motivated peeps twho want to get this Colorado shit jumpin off.

illusion

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
hobgloblin is right.................most people in uk dont know how to make beats and dont know what lyrics are.......but if u listen to a-bomb beats in uk from leicester.i think hes aight!
a-bomb from speechferapy.

peace out