Mo PHATT VS. ROLAND X6 KEYBOARD

ill o.g.
I'm tryin to help my production partner make the decision between buyin the roland fantom x6 keyboard or the mo phat sound rack. As of now all he has is a mac computer an mbox and a cheap midi controller keyboard. So if you can help me out and put yourself in his position (your just learning to make beats too) what would you buy knowing what you know now. Personally I am leaning towards him getting the mo phatt cuz i think the sounds may be a little better (do you think?) but its also pretty crucial i think to have a keyboard with a built in sequencer jus cuz its much easier to first make a beat on there with quantization and its quick instead of having to use the pro tools sequencer and have to press control undo every time u fuck up and have to reset everything on there ya know.. i would just like to hear some ohter peoples take on this
thanks

also a side question about it as far as vioces and sound quality between the mp phatt and the fantom x6 which do you think is better over all

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Ok imma speak on it 1. i owned the MP7 and I owned the mophatt rack....I just sold my fantom XR because I was not using the sounds that much compared to my motif...its ok.....some rant about the fX and such but to me they are pretty standard on any high end workstation and you can insert them on the input just like on the Motif ES...

The sequencer on the mp7 made it a very tight sequencer in combination with the sounds of the emu roms....emu sounds are very nice organic sounds, basses and organs......not too much harshness in any of the sounds very warm and pleasing...
there are some hot drums in there but some that sound overly processed...one thing about the sounds though they are solid and in a mix they stand out well

If you do not have sequencer and are just using the mophatt....you might need to think about it.....I used it successfully w/ Fruity loops and sonar......and the drums are all pretty dope I think the same sounds on the mophatt pretty much are dht same as the MP7

Now this is going to sound real harsh but I was sort of let down by the Fantom (S) and the XR I owned both....I feel the sounds are real harsh when I say harsh sharp as in some of the sounds on the triton...this synth is just that a synth....a lot of the sounds on it are made for techno..if you are really into club beats and synths this board is it...dont get me a wrong but standing those sounds up beside my motif patches sort of let me down....you gonna hear differing opinions but even though they say that the Fantom has sounds from some of the previous rolands.....I still think that they have had better patches on the older full size boards and workstations that come close to being sort of acoustic......

The emu sound roms tend to have a more colorful organic, warm acoustic sound for me i the mix....their sounds are unique....

its a tuff call man but if you need the sequencer go with the Fantom you will be happy......if you could get your hands on an mp7 go for it but the only thing is that does not sample.....so that would be another strike against getting the emu.....

my vote in this situation would be the fantom given the 2 choices....but I think the emu sounds are better because some of their sounds appear to be based on very good sample signatures ...

ill o.g.
thanks bigd that helps alot
i have a couple more question for u if u don't mind
this is kindof a stupid question but with the mp7 can you use a midi controller keyboard with it instead of those little pads it has built in?
and do you remember the price on it?

i'm still open for more opinions on this subject

Cheo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I got both the original Fantom and an MP7. I don't know how my Fantom compares to the X6, but I can say that I use the Fantom way more becuase it gives me so much more sounds. I can agree with BigD when he says the Fantom is more Techno orientated, and that the MP7 meshes better with the type of tracks that I make. This is because the MP7 is made for hiphop productions. However, I feel like the Fantom forces me to work with sounds I would not normally consider, and since there is a wider range I feel like its the better deal.