Monitoring / Mixing

RAWKAS

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
With my monitors, I usually just have them standing straight up. Does anyone achieve a better mix when they are laying sideways. If so, which have you found to be better, the woofers toward the middle or the tweets toward the middle? Also, I know the listener and speakers must be an equal distance from each other but from what point of the speaker do you measure that from. Is there a particular area or just a equeal distance from the speaker themselves?

Scholar

willing vic to the music
ill o.g.
Well monitors should be up, but if you do go sideways woofers should be in the middle. Paints a better picture and a better sweet spot. when you position them the distance should all be equal(eg. The right Monitor is 3 feet from your listening spot the left should be 3 feet apart and the monitors should be 3 feet apart like a triangle) hope this helps

Donovan

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Goin4Broke said:
when you position them the distance should all be equal(

Puttin monitors sideways makes a wider stereo image.

The monitors and your dome should make a equilateral triangle.

-Donovan

RAWKAS

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Thanks for the input but I thought that to get a good mix your monitors should be atleast 5 feet apart. Putting them that close, like 3 feet, would not give you a wide enough stereo spread. Correct?

E

Equality 7-2521

equalateral triangle is the way to go. speakers should be no less than 1.2 meters apart (tweeter to tweeter) and the tweeters should be at ear height when you listen from your monitoring position in the equalateral triangle. also make sure you keep your speakers as far away as possible (preferably atleast 1 meter) from walls to prevent bass frequencies from resonating out of control.

if you put your speakers on the side, the tweeters should be on the outside as bass is generally in the center of the stereo image. some speakers work well on their sides but most dont and are designed to be stood upright.

RAWKAS

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Fo sho. I will apply this to my process. I never really knew about having the tweets at ear level. Appreciate it. Yall stay up!

Donovan

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Steel Side said:
I always heard that the monitors should be slightly above ear level. Just my 2 cents. Out

They should... But I just moved mine onto my desk, and the tweeters are about 3" lower than my ears now.. And I can hear a more realistic mix now. I can hear/feel the bass more, as well as the midrange a lot more. Higher frequencies don't sound very different either.

-Donovan

E

Equality 7-2521

thats strange concidering high frequencies are the most directional.

Steel Side

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Interesting, I'll try that. But yeah I agree with equality, high frequencies are the most directional. I could understand the bass part. Donovan lowly question, but are your monitors aimed inward, or are they perpindicular? Out

Sin:Aesthetic

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
mixing with monitors on the side will throw stereo image out of wack when you are panning aswell....you will not get an accurate stereo image of your mix...which makes it pretty pointless....there is usually a reason things are designed the way they are...best to leave it that way

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
always read the manuals for your nearfields, you need to spread the monitors as mentioned in the manual. You need to spread them for the stereo spectrum and also due to the nature of speakers in general. I mean, unless you have 2m2 of studio I'd say yeah set em up side by side because you have no more room left. But in any other case the manual would refer to placing the hotspot sideways simply because it needs to be placed a certain distance from the wall and a distance from each other while aimed for you head. These measurements are scientific and have no ikea value..

Donovan

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Formant024 said:
always read the manuals for your nearfields, you need to spread the monitors as mentioned in the manual. You need to spread them for the stereo spectrum and also due to the nature of speakers in general. I mean, unless you have 2m2 of studio I'd say yeah set em up side by side because you have no more room left. But in any other case the manual would refer to placing the hotspot sideways simply because it needs to be placed a certain distance from the wall and a distance from each other while aimed for you head. These measurements are scientific and have no ikea value..

Lol might as well of just said RTFM!

-Donovan

Sin:Aesthetic

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Steel Side said:
So sin what you're saying is that the monitors should be dirctly in front of you and not off to the side?
no....they should create an equilateral triangle to your ears....even distance apart from each other, and even distance from your ears....but must be pointing at your ears......that is how the stereo image is worked out

but they should be upright, if they are designed as upright monitors