Monitors HUM

Bosta

Hi Joka
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
WHaDDUP!

I'm getting this annoying ass low hum from my monitors. It actually stops when I turn off my computer screen so I tried moving them away from the screen, plugging them into different outlets but nothing! Anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?

They are Behringer monitors, hooked up to a mackie mixer to a m audio soundcard.

THANKS!
Bo

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
it's probably in your wiring. What type of wires do you use?

You'd want to use foil sheilded wires because they block out most interference. However, you can damage that "foil protection" by simply bending your cable. Everytime its bent or moves around or is wrapped up, the lil foil protection (think about how easy it is to rip foil) is either bending or even tearing. If it's an old cable, it could be letting in all types of interferences if the foil is broken in a spot. Buying some new cables would be my advice an see if that solves the problem.

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
so new cables didnt work? You should check your area, if any radio stations or tv stations just opened they could be broadcasting a massive amount of radio frequencies and your old cables that were once fine even with minor breaks in the foil are now no match for the stations power.

Hopefully someone else will come through, fresh out of ideas then.

LonChainy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i had this problem a while back..if you wires are a big "spider web" mess behind your workstation, that will cause the hum too. Try to keep your monitor wire off of direct contact with your surge protectors, at best keep them isolated from all other wires, and try and elevate the wires off the floor....hope this helps..i know it can be annoying, and its disasterous during mixing

The-Shadow

Ego Sum Vox Manus Deus
ill o.g.
Use a line conditioner. The hum is most likely noise over your electrical lines. Surge protectors are not enough, you need something that will filter the noise off your line. Panamax makes some of the best ones...a little pricey but will definitely kill that noise.

http://www.panamax.com

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
If ur monitors have amps built into them that may be the problem.