Monitors: Which to get and Powered vs. Unpowered

Shwaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I noticed in the "What 1 thing is ur setup missing?" thread a lot of people said monitors. I am in the same position, and I am thinking about buying a pair. I plan on going to guitar center to test them out, but what brands/models should I be on the lookout for. Since I don't think many of the people on this board have studio budgets, lets keep the discussion to the more reasonable but quality options. Also, I am thinking about getting powered monitors because I don’t want to have to buy an amp as well. Is this a big mistake quality wise?

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
get powered. as far as what brand/model, get the best you can afford but make sure you get them at a good price

good luck

2_nice

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
...... there is no straight answer to this question but nowadays in the cheaper end of the (new) market at least 80% of the time you'd be better off with powered. But often with the newer powered breed of monitos the amps are matched to the speakers (most have a bi-amp setup). For example with the wharfesdale diamond 8.2s (check 'em they seem nice) the powered are said to be the way to go as the amp compliments the speakers well.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I'd go for $allyoucanspend... Nearfields are THE most important tool when it comes to delivering quality beats or recordings. That's wether you're using a SB! or RME/Lynx/EMU, you hear shit properly, you can edit adequately and precise on frequencies and dynamic responses. Bugdet is cool as in a quick fix for the moment or whether your room isnt the right size anyway...

But, If you're in the zone then pick a pair of 2nd hand genelecs 1031a. In theory, they can last a lifetime since you cant really blow em up(if clipping occurs at a constant rate the amps will dimm the noise, when the input signal remains as is it will dimm it more, then it waits and checks again and again till there no noise coming from the speakers). This an old model since they've been replaced with the 8000 series ( http://www.genelec.com/products/8030a/8030a.php ). On a tight budget the 8020a's would be ideal. Though I havent heard any of the 8000's I've read that the bass response on the 8000 series has been improved, the 1031a's are less boomin' but that doesnt bother me as they're still the best reference imo.

On another set I have a NAD amp, very clean with very little distortion at high gain, it actualy comes to life when pusing the volume. I use B&W 501's there and the sound is quite good for reference and probably 4x cheaper than the genelecs.

members online