mono vs stereo sampling

Chisel

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'm interested to hear what the group has to say about sampling in mono vs stereo? Is there any rule of thumb? I would imagine sampling a drum hit in stereo is less important than say a synth.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I know no rules just preferences and opinions like everything else in music....of course you'll get different levels(expert or studio engineer types) of feedback but never a hard rule about drum sampling, but drums and bass seem to be great sampled in MONO...but if you want and your sampler isn't limited stereo is good for a lot too......my favorite it to use some different panning on kits with stereo samples....

light

Producer
ill o.g.
I sample everything in stereo except for drums i do in mono then pan if needed or wanted.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
If a drummer can sync his left and right foot you can record a left and right signal by using 2 drumkicks at the same time.

An acoustic bass recorded in stereo, there goes the musicians years of practice in order to get those dynamics right. Or, what about a two robots that plays the bass in absolute sync in order to record left and right signal by using the basses

Just try to imagine the orginal placement of what you are producing, if it's a bass, acoustic, electric, analogue or VA it is "mostly " mono. Although you can do cool things in stereo, I can seriously recommend mono for mastering issues, certainly for vynil, tools like bass enhancers, stereo enhancers make a cut less efficient . IT! also gives you more headroom in a mix cause it blends lesser channels ( either software or hardware ), which also implies less usage of cpu and use of lesser chnannels when dealing with a mixdown.

Stereo is for digital synths, 2 track mastering utilties and fx.

Samples; phrases/loops are stereo, but cuts for instrumental use should be handled in mono. This goes for creating drumkits or cutting out bass/stabs, mind you, old recordings have good habits of hard panning instruments.

It will do miracles

Chisel

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I appreciate the replies. You've definitely given me some food for thought.

Peace Out \/

members online