Motif Rack or Motif keyboard?

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Not sure on which one to get...

Saw a new motif rack for about 1300 yet the motif xs8 is about twice the price...

Although I could probably only afford the rack with a dope midi controller I saw.....I was wondering if I there was any difference in the sounds between the two....

Definitely want to maximize my investment....

Plus after fooling around with the new M3 in guitar center.........I might wait for the m3 rack..LOL that keyboard is the truth...

Presto7737

ill o.g.
The racks usually have more sounds because they don't have to house as much as the keyboards. I'd go with the rack if you plan on getting a controller. If you have a computer, which I assume you do, you can do all your sequencing on that instead of paying the price and doing it on the keyboard.

Rackoon

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
A friend of mine as the keyboard version....

Im not a big fan of its sequencing and multiple menus on a 2 inch screen...
I prefer to do everything ITB, using your DAW as the master would be the way to go...

I would go for the rack version for its great sound library and small footprint in your lab...and price also.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Update:

Went and copped the M-audio Pro 88 Midi controller for $250. The rack is the route I'm going to take, mainly because saving up $1300 is way easier than $3200

Figured with the price of the motif xs8 keyboard...I could get both the motif rack and the Korg M3 rack for the same price.

What do you guys use for sequencing?

Step Soprano

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
u can sequence with the m3 rack... the m3 with keyboard is just a detachable m3 rack with a basic keyboard attatchment, u can seperate the two. Also, if you have the 73 key m3, you can add a radias rack on to it seemlessly, and have a workstation and fully tweakable synth on the same keyboard.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
New update:

Fuck both.....got rid of the midi for what I paid for it....

Got a friend who has logic and I'll just work with that until I buy a Mac.

Step Soprano

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
New update:

Fuck both.....got rid of the midi for what I paid for it....

Got a friend who has logic and I'll just work with that until I buy a Mac.

i got logic, and love it... but im tryn to buy a virus TI in a few monthes. Gotta sell a few more beats

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
i dont know too much about the motif specifically but your knowledge of midi should be the answer to which you buy. if you got midi down and the rack has more sounds/functions and you already have another keyboard, then the rack.. if you barley know midi, i would suggest the keyboard version.

what i use to sequence really depends on how or what im trying to accomplish.. my recording / mix-down set-up is nuendo as a master- (mpc - slave) (drum machine - slave ) (harddisk recorder - slave )

at other times i will master and slave machines on the fly like i hate equal rights. lol The mpc has been really nice to me.. its really fucked up though figuring out what machines send and or recieve specific MTC or midi clock.