motivation needed

dBtheProducer

Autism Dad, I Use FL Studio
Battle Points: 89
I was wondering if any of you guys ever experienced moments where you thought to your self maybe I should focus on other things besides making beats and dreaming of production success, I often fear that I will never really fit in the music scene today cu my music and my soul is old and comes from a different time and place
a part of wants to learn other things like how to put together great podcasts, maybe try being a dj for a while, or even take the time to take real piano lessons
but the bigger part of me tells me not to give up my dream, of becoming a hip hop producer like dr dre or even some of my favorites like the alchemist and 9th wonder
im sure its normal to doubt yourself, I guess I was just wondering if any of you ever felt the same way?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Dude I feel like this all the time. Here's a few things why:

• There's so many beatmakers.
  • The industry wants a certain sound that us older heads don't necessarily have.
  • There's so many beatmakers!
I still push forward although there's plenty of times when I ask myself, "why bother?". But then I hear about other producers like you said, 9th Wonder that have done well for those type of beats, especially sample-based. I posted this thread about Apollo Brown just the other day that gave me some hope, so that's something to look at.

The other thing is you have to look at it from another perspective as well, such as you love making music and you love music overall but it doesn't mean you HAVE to be a producer. You can do something related to it, like working in a studio, or writing about production, a podcast, or teaching it. You get what I'm saying.

This is partly why I keep going with IllMuzik because this is my way of being involved with music production. It's like as if you really enjoy painting, you could work at an art gallery because you're extremely knowledgeable about painting. It doesn't mean you're going to be Picasso, but you can definitely be a part of the industry.

Bugsy

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 206
I was wondering if any of you guys ever experienced moments where you thought to your self maybe I should focus on other things besides making beats and dreaming of production success, I often fear that I will never really fit in the music scene today cu my music and my soul is old and comes from a different time and place
a part of wants to learn other things like how to put together great podcasts, maybe try being a dj for a while, or even take the time to take real piano lessons
but the bigger part of me tells me not to give up my dream, of becoming a hip hop producer like dr dre or even some of my favorites like the alchemist and 9th wonder
im sure its normal to doubt yourself, I guess I was just wondering if any of you ever felt the same way?

Im sure that you are not the only one, I know some artists beatmakers and producers that have achieved some success still doubt themselves.
I think this is natural, I find myself going through this at times as well.

Like @Fade said just remember why you started making beats.
If that's not enough, try focusing on other aspects or try something new that will help boost your production.

Keep your head up!

Thank you a lot for this topic! I thank you because this is the opportunity for me to finally write what I have wanted to write for a long time. I had a few moments when I felt like this. But these moments can teach you a lot about yourself. Below I am going to share with you some of my personal thoughts and experience. You will also learn some things about my past.

Probably I said it before but I started my journey with music from guitar playing. My dream was to found a metal band that would play gigs all around the world. I have been playing the guitar for about eleven years now but seriously for about eight. It's because I started practicing my guitar playing seriously when I was fifteen. I played everyday for at least four hours a day. YES! FOUR hours. It was painstaking work because I had to learn scales and constantly improve my technique. My goal was to be someone nearly as good as Buckethead since he was my main inspiration.Honestly, I had never achieved such level of perfection. XDD When I was nineteen (so after about four years of such practicing) I reached very nice level of playing. And guess what? Suddenly, I felt drained. I felt like there is nothing more to learn. And what's more I was disappointed because I still couldn't create a band. I tried a few times but because of a bad attitude of potential members ( always being late on rehearsals, drinking alcohol during rehearsals, too low level of playing) I stayed in the same place. I had the whole album to record but nobody to work with. Of course now I see that there were a lot ways to solve this problem but at that time I wasn't so entrepreneurial as I am now.

Besides such practicing had its impact on my mental health. I was always alone, I got a little bit weird, I did not like contact with people and so on and so forth. Sometimes excess is a very bad thing and it's important to know that we all have only one life and there are also other things than music to care about.

And then my journey with so called "music production" began. At first I thought it was going to be very easy thing to make rap beats. But I was mistaken. I had to learn a lot of things and listen to a lot of things I hadn't listened to before. Rap taught me a lot of things. Mainly, that most of the time less is more which stands in contradiction to my previous beliefs as I was very focused on perfect technique and complicated arpeggios. Now I see that failure with metalband was a great lesson for me because now I can clearly see that I wasn't ready for success at that time. It would have ended very badly for me if I had become a popular at the age of nineteen. After three years of making beats I can say that I would really want to work in a studio but last year I rediscovered a new love which is singing. And there is a very funny thing with singing. I never wanted to sing but everybody who listens to me singing tells me that I should go for it because I'm good at it. And I'm not talking about friends etc. Such opinions come from people who really know a lot of things about singing and music industry. So this is really funny that I always wanted to make music (I mean making beats and instrumentals) and now everybody tells me that I should sing. XDDDD This is ridiculous.:D

My personal opinion on this matter is simple. For me music, it doesn't matter if we're talking about making beats, singing, playing some instrument or whatever. It's a journey. And sometimes the road to the point you want to be in is very winding and full of dead ends. I think it's a good thing to try something new as @Bugsy said because you can either implement it into your production or discover something that will become your new passion or something that you may be better at.

A friend of mine told me very nice story recently. His friend played drums for quite a long time. He played in some bands and he was quite good at playing drums. He liked it. But about two years ago he started lifting weights and guess what? Now if I'm not mistaken his a champion of Poland in powerlifting and he said that he would have never thought he would be good at such thing and that it would be so much fun for him to do. You never know what's gonna happen. It's all a journey. I'm sorry for my long post but I just felt a need to write these things for a long time. I'm also sorry for my pseudophilosophical reflections but as I mentioned above I just wanted to do it. :)

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
No @Memento Beats what you said is not pseudo anything as it's true that we don't know what we can do 'til we try. Look into voice lessons from a reputable teacher if you wish to learn how to sing (no promo but for questions as to how/where to find a teacher there is https://www.reddit.com/r/singing/) but more importantly don't quit making beats.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
No problem and how did you find yours @Memento Beats and who are they?

I searched some advertisements on the Internet and I found a teacher who had been working as a vocal coach for about twenty years and he collaborated with many theathers in Poland and also operas. She basicly prepared actors and singers for their performance and she still does it. I also used to go to the music school where I was taught how to sing in a classical way but it was not something for me. But the basics I learned at music school help me a lot in let's say 'normal' singing. :D Because during the last year I was learning how to sing by myself and it only took two lessons with that lady to actually help me overcome problems for example with the proper attack of the notes. So I am really satisfied with the way she teaches because I see her methods really work. I can feel and most importantly hear the difference in quality of the sound and I also sing with less effort.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Awesome @Memento Beats and let me ask are you on Soundgine, Beatstars, etc. as I'm thinking of joining either one of them to find producers.

members online