Moving from sample base to composing

• beat this! voting starts in...

Malice

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
My first time around making beats I would say 95% of everything I made was sample based. Towards the end I started working on composing beats but did not make to many beats that way. This time I want to focus more on composed beats for those on here that either do mostly composed beats or made the transition can you give me some pointers on what to work on 1st to get a good handle on them. Here are 2 of my last beats that I made a few years back 1 sample and 1 composed both are my favs from each style.

Sample:
http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=5258028&q=hi&newref=1

Composed:
http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=4778462&q=hi&newref=1

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I mostly do composed beats, and if you download the latest DP record you can hear them. I would say if you don't play an instrument you really need to pick one up and spend time learning it, take some lessons etc. For producers an obvious choice is piano but I play bass/guitar primarily. Then get your music theory game up. But honestly I have been moving more and more in to Sampling and it is so much fun. I would say just use what the song calls for.

oh and also being able to jam with a real drummer seems to help at least get an idea of what drums should sound like (For example you cant hit two toms, a crash and a hat at the same time ha ha)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Sampling is such a big part of hip hop that it's really hard to get away from it and stay within the genre (imo), but if your goal is to be 100% sample free, my suggestion is to compose small pieces of a song and treat those pieces as if they were samples. I mean chop them up, modify them, and do all the tweaks just like you would do a sample. Also, I think it depends alot on what style of music you prefer making as well. East Coast hip hop is usually very sample heavy, west coast hip hop is quite a bit lighter on the samples but a really good mix of both, dirty south hip hop is...umm, I'm still trying to figure that out...lol, but anyway, you get my point. Just something to consider.

There are a few guys around here (on illmuzik) that have really mastered both worlds. 2Good Productions is a beast at composing over samples. OnQ, Relic and a few others are also beast at composing as well. Check out some of their music and find your own style within what they do and you'll be on the right track. They all have links to their beats in their sigs. Good luck and I hope that helps.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Yup, all good info...Only thing I would add is getting your theory game up is very useful and so is learning your chords/chord progressions - but experimentation is the one of the best teachers too...so what I would suggest is to load a sound up in whatever DAW your sequencing in on your soft-synth and just go to town...Also start fiddling with the params on each module you have at your disposal so that you can begin to understand what can do to shape your sounds to your taste, ie. ADSR, Filters, etc.

When I first started making beats back in 00/01 I did nothing but composed joints and then moved into sampling at a later date. Both styles are dope and critical to your growth as a beatmaker.

Malice

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Thanks for the help guys. I have a lot at my disposal here I have FL Studio 8 Producers, Midi Controller, an old acoustic/electric guitar, amp, pre amp and a some books on music theory, chords for piano, chords and tab book for guitar, I guess my real problem is having so much stuff and not knowing where to start and put my focus first.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
A midi keyboard, basic chord knowledge (2-3 diff notes) and you DAW is all you need to get started then add stuff once you get comfy. (I say start with the keyboard because its mor versatile than the guitar)

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Yep, like Dox said....Just start basic and work your way up....

Try this as a random place to start brainstorming:
First look up how to play a "triad", like a C Chord, ie. C,E,G...
Maybe before you even learn progressions or scales, just try arpegiating the C chord - like play in a pattern C-E-G-E-C....and so on, or pick any chord u want and try that.

Start a click track with a moderate tempo and try to play your arpeggio to the beat. Then start another track and add something like a bass line to it with another synth....Then move onto another instrument, or add some drums....next thing you know your building a beat.

Its def worth learning your scales and how the notes relate to one another too. After you start your scales move onto the circle of 5ths...then start trying to understand how chords play together and what/why stuff sounds good or bad.

Beatz 101

itsOneO.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 179
Though everything I post here is sample-based. The last few years I stepped my original composition game up a lot. I had so many ideas & melodies in my head that I didn't know how to manifest into reality.

To break away in the beginning, I created a sample beat. And then attempted to play-over as many parts as possible. Kinda like tracing over a sample beat w/ your own sounds. Try to make the beat sound as full & un-cheesy as possible without the sample.

After a couple months of that, you'll have a better understanding of music theory & how music is built inside out. You'll later be able to trace the original music in your head a lot easier(if that makes any sense.) You'll know the go-to soundfonts, VSTs, key progressions etc. to get the sound you want off instinct.

jrbeats5

ill o.g.
This is something i have been doing for the last year is switching. I still do both but I recommend you take piano lessons and get books on chords and piano theory. Also use dope sounds and instruments.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
dacalion;293301 my suggestion is to compose small pieces of a song and treat those pieces as if they were samples. I mean chop them up said:
Great idea...

members online