Mpc 1000

jaydub23510

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yes another MPC question, I'm still deciding what to do next with my drum dilema, I've read article after article that says MIDI is not good for drums because it will cause a delay and they'll be sluggish, my question is how could I program drums without using midi, like would I load up the MPC with a kit and begin playing into its sequencer or am I missing something, what gives exactly with this midi thing, and does it matter on other tracks if I use midi or not, somebody help!

Chisel

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
The MPC has two sequencing modes: DRUM & MIDI. The difference between them is with DRUM mode, you're sequencing the pads which contain samples (WAV files) and with MIDI mode, you're sequencing from an external source (i.e. MIDI controller) to an external destination (i.e. sound module, synthesizer, sampler, etc..) So basically, what you sequence in DRUM mode is completely self-contained in the MPC and what you sequence in MIDI mode requires the external equipment that produces the sound in order for it to play back. You can simplify things even further by using a MIDI keyboard for your controller and destination (i.e. Triton). Then you only need the keyboard and your MPC to play back your tunes. Now in my case, I have VA synths, samplers, and sound modules as my external equipment so sometimes it takes me awhile to set everything up for a particular song before I start the sequence. In fact, that's one of the reasons why I just bought the MPC 1000. I wanted to be able to sample back into the MPC the MIDI sequences I record so it's all self-contained in the MPC and I don't need to bother with extra setup. This is especially helpful when working with synths that have thick sounds when the voices are layered (which uses up all your polyphony). By sampling them back into the MPC, I don't have to worry about polyphony or about saving the settings on the synth. Sorry for the long-winded answer :)

Hope this helps.

jaydub23510

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Thanks man, I've been thinking hard on it lately, I've been using midi for my DR-5, ESQ1, and EPS 16+, last night I made some tracks with my EPS 16+ sequencer and just samples all in the EPS, my tracks were tighter and I recorded on my computer, my problem is I don't know a way to record my kicks, snare, and hi's, to its own track, my sampler doesn't have enough space to put a kit on 3 diff tracks and do it that way, I don't know I'm just stuck right now! I can't record track by track into the computer because it's not syncing right, I hit record on my computer then have to hit play on my keyboard, track after track some will be off.

Chisel

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Up until this week, I've used a Yamaha RM1x as my main sequencer. It has a very powerful sequencer, but no sampling ability. I have a digital piano that I use as my controller. I also have a MIDI patch bay that I plug all of my equipment into. This makes it a hell of a lot easier to route things. Just make sure your equipment supports a MIDI clock signal and the equipment that is sending the signal is the MASTER and the equipment receiving it is set to SLAVE. So in your case, set your computer program to send MIDI clock signals and set it to MASTER mode. Then make sure your keyboard is set to receive MIDI clock signals and it is in SLAVE mode. The terminology for your equipment may be different, but you should be able to figure it out just by looking through the edit screens. Now you should be able to press record on the computer and your keyboard should start playing automatically and in sync!

Hope this helps.
Peace Out \/

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Yo jus so u kno, tha whole midi delay thing isnt set in stone for like every user...I use midi to program my drums like 50% of tha time now and I have no latency problems personally....I think it all depends on how much ram u got runnin in conjunction w/ yer processor chip....

jaydub23510

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Thanks guys for your help, I think my answer lies somewhere in between the sequencer's quantisize value, for instance cubase set at 1/16 will sound different from the eps16+ set at the same thing, I check on some other forums as well and this is a debatable topic, thanks again for responding, peace

SketchUp

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
mixer?

Chisel said:
You can simplify things even further by using a MIDI keyboard for your controller and destination (i.e. Triton). Then you only need the keyboard and your MPC to play back your tunes. Now in my case, I have VA synths, samplers, and sound modules as my external equipment so sometimes it takes me awhile to set everything up for a particular song before I start the sequence. In fact, that's one of the reasons why I just bought the MPC 1000. I wanted to be able to sample back into the MPC the MIDI sequences I record so it's all self-contained in the MPC and I don't need to bother with extra setup.

Hope this helps.

Do you use a mixer for this- what connections are needed?
thanks

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
Yea that delay thing neverhappens if u use hardware. Usally thats for software becasue the MIDI signal has to be converted. I have never experined delay

I use a MPC2XL and motif rack and MIDI keyboard. SOmetimes i use the drums that i sampled and loaded into the MPC sometimes i use the drums straight of the motif. Most of the time i use both. Its a very powerful box and can be used in combonation with any other MIDI equiment. Get at me if u have any other questions.

clas..

members online