MPC 2500 slow os no updates?

izodone

The Wizard Of ODD
ill o.g.
It's been like two years since Akai has posted an update for their os on the 2500 and so I been stuck wit this super slow ass autochop that I stopped using because of it.I'm jus wonderin if any one has heard anything comin' out or wants to do some mass writin' to them about another update so we can get this and I'm sure there's other issues resolved?...maybe?

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
Im still trying to figure out why the stopped selling the 2500. Is it because akai is trying to push the 5000? If akai isn't producing the 2500 anymore, then dont expect any os updates anytime soon.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Need to get the jj os ... I still havent broken down and gotten that. When I heard about the fucked up last OS update and the shitty chopping I didnt ever upgrade to it as it seemed like a downgrade...

As DP said Akia doesnt give a shit about its customers so I wouldnt expect help in the fufture from them. I still love my 2500 though.

izodone

The Wizard Of ODD
ill o.g.
Yeah i love mine too Relic but damn for some reason i'm afraid of the jj os.I sure wish they would show some damn love!I just don't wanna learn it all again ya know?Oh well i'll jus' hone my choppin' skills more and more doin' it myself!lol

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
I hate to say it but Im starting to agree...AND I LOOOOVE MY MPC....to the point where if there was a hole I could stick my dick into, I would. lol. But yeah, as much as I love my MP its just getting left behind as far as development goes. They've essentially been making the same machine for like 20 yrs or however long its been. Honestly tho, if Akai would drastically give the ALL OS's a facelift, improve the pads & button quality, and possibly increase the visual side of producing on the MPC - "the LCD screen" somehow, I really think it would still be a relevant piece of gear....cuz I love how I just fire it up, put on a record and go to work, But theres so many little things that could be improved. Most definitely for the pricepoint to say the least.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
wow... it just CANT be as slow as the RS... i mean, the RS is goin on 10 yrs old... it is stupid though... u would think EVERYTHING made in the last few yrs chops with speed and accuracy.. i hope The Beat Thang doesnt have this problem.

the MC909 is ridiculous at choppin, and its also goin on 10 yrs.

da relic

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Word, I mean it aint "that" slow, but in comparison to the processing power of your mac or pc, yeah...its pretty slow, and limited to boot. In a way, that limitation forces you to produce more creatively, etc. - but at the same time it can be just be frustrating cuz some things you want to do just aren't a possibility and you know it would be a piece of cake on the computer....perfect example would be something as simple as "group edits"...like a whole bank of pads. You have to do each pad, one at a time, that shit gets to be part of your workflow pretty quick when u work on the machine all the time like I do, but at the same time all the tweaking just to get all your samples pitched up means your eating into your production time. (you can do some shit like that with the 3rd party JJ os, but I personally dislike the way that operating system was implemented, and IMO really doesnt improve the machine all that much, but thats me)....

Nonetheless, the MPC is certainly getting left behind. Even moreso cuz Akai continues to refuse to improve the bulk of basic features that come with the MPC, I honestly think its just a way for them continue using their same shitty business model - which is to create the same machine they've been creating for over a decade and if you dont like the limitation pay another G for a small upgrade in functionality and performance...the irony is that even the top models still lack greatly in what they should really be able to do, and ultimately all your really paying for in that upgrade is a slightly more powerful OS.

With all that said, I still do love producing on that machine. lol. Just keepin it real tho.

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
disregard.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Im glad I didnt update to the latest OS on the 2500 because I have heard that they fucked up the autochop, its like they intentionally fucked up the OS ever so slightly then discontinued the whole thing so that people would have to buy the 5000 or get off mpc altogether, Im thinkin in a few years I may make the switch to the maschine, I just dont like having to spend years to get a good vibe with a piece of gear only to have to go and do it again a few years later.

zeek

ill o.g.
gotta get that jjos2xl especially for chopping. Its got NDC chop. Basically you set markers on the sample and just move them around then assign the sample + markers to the pads. Super fast nice.

Although I love my mpc....got to admit maschine looking nice. I have a huge library of vinyl samples I sampled onto my computer, so working with my sounds on the computer without dealing with transfering them to the mpc sounds real nice. plus the maschine workflow looking nice.

here a video of me showing the NDC chop on jjos2xl [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8W-MHxgERM"]Akai MPC2500 JJOS-2XL Non Destructive Chop (NDC) workflow - YouTube[/ame]

zeek

ill o.g.
Akai knows that hardware boxs like that are dying, they will not invest much in making improvements. But they will milk the MPC name for a long time. And to be honest I cant blame them R&D is expensive.

They need to make an mpc version of their synthstation 49. basically an mpd 32 like pad controller where you can dock an iphone or ipad with an akai mpc app. But it has to be real mpc like and take it to the next level, keeping that mpc workflow but adding all the advantages of touch screen and nice interface.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Here is another AKAI secret. When they launched the MPC5000 they first showed us in a meeting, and we where like ugh

SO we asked them if they listen to there users at all. For example read what people are saying at http://mpc-forums.com/

and they where like, no. We don't read the forums at all.

ha ha, that's clear. But in all fairness they did get the 5000 up to snuff and I would say it is the best MPC ever made. But yea Akai is messed up.

zeek

ill o.g.
Here is another AKAI secret. When they launched the MPC5000 they first showed us in a meeting, and we where like ugh

SO we asked them if they listen to there users at all. For example read what people are saying at http://mpc-forums.com/

and they where like, no. We don't read the forums at all.

ha ha, that's clear. But in all fairness they did get the 5000 up to snuff and I would say it is the best MPC ever made. But yea Akai is messed up.

yeah, that sucks. It definately can be a full time job monitoring forums, putting your ears out, sifting through good and bad stuff...but you can gain alot from it, if not ideas, atleast customer loyalty. I think thats why alot of users respond well to JJOS, because he's listening. Its about interacting with the customer.