mpc 2K

soundboy2

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
On a MPC 2k , I heard you have to load the O.S. everytime you turn it on, is this true. And I heard that say if you load and drum sound and you tune it or play with the picth or whatever that if doesn;t save your adjustments,and you have to adjust the sound every time you loan up. is that true.

soundboy2

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
cool, i did read it has 100,000 note capacity, and the xl has 300,000

does anyone have and idea on about how many notes the average beat has, are you even close to using that many.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
MPC2K has a card you can buy, I sold my 2k about 7 months ago but if you buy the ROM card you can boot off of it just like the 2000XL and it has enuff memory to also hold samples in the rom so you don't need to load them from an external source, you won't need the floppy or a zip to boot from.......but as far as your question about the sound tuning that's not true you need to save your entire program settings when you save....... use "save all" this saves all of the midi parameters, pitch, sample loaded etc to the program file so when you call up the program at your next session it will bring up the sounds and any alteration you might have made to the pitch or sample......

soundboy2

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
So BIgD , you saying if you dont have that Rom Card you have to load the OS everytime. To boot like the 2kxl

hookiefree

Beat Monster
ill o.g.
U don't need the ROM. I didn't have one (onless it comes installed) and I only loaded my OS once. The person that said that probably had a bad unit.

F

Fatha Ramzee

If ur mpc 2000 doesn't have the rom u have to boot the os everytime

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Yeah I started off with the stripped down model, but got tired of loading shidd off the zip or floppy to boot and load my favorite sounds so I bought the rom expansion and the fx card the rom is holds about 2 megs I think so your OS takes about 3 or 400k of the memory and the rest of that you can store samples and load programs instead of using the zip or floppy....you might get lucky and get 1 for less than 200 dollars.....you might as well save your extra money or sell the 2k and get the 2kxl the fx card usually runs around 200 too!

Sober

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
don't get it! the mpc blows up after you make a beat! just like mission impossible...ha ha nah the mpc is one of my favorite tools i use. It can do anything and everything except get you a date.

H

Haterade

C'mon guys, y'all sound like amateurs- let me help you out:

1. Yes, you do have to load the OS on the 2000. If you have a scsi drive attached to it, you can set it to autoload. (In fact, quicker than the flash rom option depending on what kind of drive you have attached.)

2. Don't waste your money on the Flash Rom. C'mon, how many times are you going to want the same sounds into memory every single time? Especially since you can buy a zip drive for like $35 off ebay and load the same program over and over... (At about the same loading time as the Flash rom...)

3. The 2000xl is the better machine because of the ability to hold 4 programs at once. If you can't figure out why, you probably don't need an MPC, a Boss drum machine should suffice. I don't recall the XL being able to hold more notes, but honestly, I never ran out of notes, and I use A LOT of tracks in my arrangements.

4. If you're trying to be a professional with your mpc, you should only buy: 32 mb of ram, a scsi drive, and the 8 output expansion card. Buy a cheap lexicon effect unit instead of messing with the Akai card. Also, if you're making beats completely from the MPC, you might want to invest in another filtering module, 'cause only having a lowpass will drive you insane after a while... Look around, there's better alternatives than the MCF 42, which is rather pricey, and is a digital filter....

H

Haterade

Originally posted by bigdmakintrax
...use "save all" this saves all of the midi parameters, pitch, sample loaded etc to the program file so when you call up the program at your next session it will bring up the sounds and any alteration you might have made to the pitch or sample......

Ah... also remember, any programs CREATED that were saved in a "Save All" fashion cannot be called up on their own- you can't use that program unless you load EVERYTHING in that .all file. The smarter way is just to "Save a Program", save it with sounds (Make sure you name your sounds!), and then name all your sequences & songs the same thing as the program. This way, you can use a program to make your sounds "modular", meaning you can load banks of sounds quickly for many beats, not just one .all file for each song. (Hope I explained that last line fluently.)

-Peace,
Haterade

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Exactly Haterade I'll check myself on that one....I called all that info up from memory....anyhow he gets the idea I think....best thing as I always say is REad the Manual, I feel you on the auto load but I had a zip drive too and yes you can boot, the difference in boot time unless UR measuring in nanoseconds is not to the advantage of the zip....you have an electromechanical device as opposed to a rom....usually a rom boot will always beat out a scsi drive.....anyhow good shidd you amateur....LOL

H

Haterade

No prob Big D, that's what I'm hear for- just good info.

So I guess you're not using the MPC anymore? What are you using now? I've heard that the RS7000 is a good machine also.

members online