MPC Boom Bap Beat

BiggChev

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 10
Hey All,

Been a while...

...I've been working on a funk/house record (that should hopefully be done by year's end). Took a break from all the "4 on-the-floor" and got back to my hip-hop roots.

Having lots of fun writing entire on the MPC 1000. I started with a simple Horns and Rhodes loop I made in Logic. Chopped and arranged in the MPC. Bass and Guitar were also sampled into the MPC and sequenced from there.

Tracked back out to Logic for mix and some final arranging/chopping.

BiggChev

ILLIEN
Thanks InsideOutBeats,

I don't have proper speakers, so everything is mixed in headphones. Definitely agree with you on the drums. I tend to second guess how hard they hit and dial back. Sometimes I think the snare, especially, slaps too hard - so I soften then up and bring them down in the mix. Will try to A/B before posting and sleep on different drums mixes moving forward.

Cheers,

BiggChev

ILLIEN
Very good foundation. Some Samples or instruments in this mix, however, still sound a bit too much "out of the box". Give it more character!
But overall good job! (y)
Thanks @JustIn Flow

By out of the box do you mean it sounds a bit too "stock"?

There are actually no samples on this beat. I essentially write basic chord progressions and instrumentation in Logic, then sample and chop in the MPC 1000

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
@BiggChev props for the no samples route. I dig Funk/House.