MPC drum programming vs. 505/Reason linear?

The Konductor

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I've been programming my drums step/linear style since day 1. And my drums bang hard & on point that way. But I'm considering purchasing an MPC 2000xl, 1000, or maybe even the 2500, because of the fact that my MC505 doesn't allow me to load new drum sounds or samples.

My issue is that if I go the pad route, my timing will suffer. I know the MPC series has quantize, but I've tried programming drums on my triton (with quantize) & it sounds way off. I don't know if I'm just the most out of time/synch mutha on the planet or if I just don't understand the how quantize works, e.g., quarter, half, eigth, sixteenth, ect.....

My question is, does the MPC have the capability to step promgram or place drums linear style like Reason Or MC505?

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
if its off, its off, you'll notice. If you're comparing the mpc or reason to the mc 505 then take the 505's poor polyphonice performance into check because medium midi traffic will cause it to go unsteady on timing ( you'll hear on 16beat hat sections, hats will be anything except on point ). Its not that its unusable, but use it in single modus, just for one particulair sound or a 2 step break with very little hats in there in order to get the best performance.

The Konductor

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Formant024 said:
if its off, its off, you'll notice. If you're comparing the mpc or reason to the mc 505 then take the 505's poor polyphonice performance into check because medium midi traffic will cause it to go unsteady on timing ( you'll hear on 16beat hat sections, hats will be anything except on point ). Its not that its unusable, but use it in single modus, just for one particulair sound or a 2 step break with very little hats in there in order to get the best performance.

Say what?

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
pad programming on the MPC is dope, if you know anything about drumming, nothing will touch the realism, but to answer your question is it possible to do the same thing that the MC-505 and reason does linear is no(at least I havent been told of that secret) I had a 505 and yamaho rs-7000 and the linear programming was in use all the time,but on the other hand on the mpc the correction level for quantize is very accurate and adjustable without being stiff so I dont think linear would even necessary, reason is also very good whether you use the linear or bang in from a controller, I am very impressed with it from the perspective of having come from using drum machines and samplers from the Sp12/1200-mpc2000/1000,to make tracks before reason and fruity loops so if you want the industry standard piece get the mpc, if you want to come close and like the idea of all of your sounds accessible at one spot and pretty effective programming then stay with reason...have you used the controller to bang in a pattern in reason? then quantize the track afterwards? thats always been very on point for me.

members online