Mpc question

• beat this! voting starts in...

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Man, if i had an mpc, id be on that shit all the time, but i have a question before i start really considering swooping one. With an mpc, do you need hellof other hardware too to make a complete, good-sounding beat? (like turntabels or a keyboard) or does it have shit on it that's enough to work with alone, at least at first.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
You need to hook up gear like turntables, keyboard to the MPC to input sounds because the MPC is acting as a sequencer, nothing in it.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
yea man its great as a stand alone pice but it becomes even more powerful if u add stuff'

here is what i have(after 3 months of producing)
Im use the MPC and a MIDI keyboard. i chop all my samples and sounds using software(soundfoundry) casue its ALOT easier than chopping on the MPC.Also i use Cubase to dump the tracks and master

going to what u were saying the MPC is my MAIN picere of equitment and everthing else "supports" it.

class....

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
so the mpc has no previously installed instruments?

incogneeto

J.B. LEGACY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
none bro...and i just sold my mpc for that reason.......if you get one i advise you to get a zip drive and a cd-rom.....then you have to buy your drums from a website store, (banginbeats.com...or someone like that) and get it put on a zip drive and load up the mpc with your sounds everytime you turn your mpc on..............hope that helps........incog

ill o.g.
Thats one reason why the MPC will be around so long. The MPC's sounds cant go out of style... ...there are no MPC sounds. You FIND the sounds you want. Whether Keyboard or Records or both.

But if you get the MPC and atleast 1 turntable (i'd suggest a vestax handytrax for portability or a technics sl1200 for durability (its a fuckin tank!!)), or a keyboard, all you pretty much need is some speakers (monitors) or headphones.

leemajors

ill o.g.
Don't get an mpc unless you plan on purchasing more equipment soon. I bought my MPC 2000- the crappiest of all the machines years ago, and now I'm looking into purchasing a Motif es7. That machine can do all that mpc does and more. Say if you purchase a xl new, what's that, $1200? Why not got a fantom or Motif and have a sampler thats more power and keyboard. Lets not forget that the Motif has a control fuction which enalbes it the command compatible sequence software programs such as cubase. Meaning, you wouldn't need a control surface. Add a few plug-in and my T-racks and its on and popping. Shit this isn't '94, it's 04, do it big. O, And now way in hell am I playing 3000 plus for a soup up drum machine (Mpc 4000). Shit you might want to say fuck it some day and became a pianist. Hold on, I just peepedhat your from Oakland, what parts?I'm from the rolling Hunnids. Okay, Yes you'll need a whole lot more gear. The mpc isn't a true workstation, unlike a triton, motif, or a fantom. Say you get the mpc, make sure that it has the 8 outs and effects board. Now, your need to mix it... You know, If this is going to be the only piece of gear that your get than it okay. Limited, but okay. It's a great additon piece for an already exsistent studio. The aforementioned Keyboards that I mentioned would be a best, imo. Stay away from those tritons, though. Everybody and they momma hasone they going to flip that board pretty soon. You cant kept saleing the same board with the same sound, Korg. So, go and look at The yamaha motif es and Roland's fantom. peace

ill o.g.
damn.
leemajors made me feel like i wanna go sell my stepbrothers MPC and buy a motif.

that was a pretty convincing post. nice work.

Complexxx

Hip Hop Apprentice
ill o.g.
I see a lot of people got issues with having to take the time or spend a little change to cop samples for they MPC. You don't necessarily have to go out and buy all your samples. If you got you a good chopping program like Recycle, you can get your drum samples from just about anywhere.......FREE. Just takes a little time and patience, thats all. Nuthin wrong with puttin in work to get the sounds you want. Don't get me wrong, sometimes you'll need to buy your sample disks, but not always. Think about it, yeah the MPC comes butt ass naked......but somewhere along the way it became an Iconic part of beat making......and not only in Hip Hop.

leemajors

ill o.g.
Helix, It not like the mpc is useless it has a great sequencer on it -arguably the best. But when it comes to sampling, it's crap. I have a Mpc 2000 though and that why I down it so much. Say if a want to chop up a two bar loop, I have no auto-chop function whatsoever. That means I'll have to work on slicing shit manually for the next 15 to 20 minutes. Now, the Mpc+asr10=hot shit. Kanye does all of his sampling in his asr 10 and uses his Mpc as a seq+drum. Yo, the motif has a cool sampler but I think that the fantom might be a little better in that dept. My thing for the motif is based on the sound quality. they have this mega voice feature on it that actually replicates the studle nuances of real life instrumentation...The buzz of the guitar etc... Okay, I'm out

F

flippedout310

yo if u dont wanna spend a lot of money on hardware ...buy this

get a good pc or mac
reason 2.5
a good midi keyboard
and an editing and mastering program

this will cost you from 500-800

T

The Bastard

a good pc or mac= one grand ''at least''
reason 2.5=300 bucks
a good midi keyboard=200 bucks
and an editing and mastering program=cep = 200 bucks
1700 bucks
and still not as good as an mpc in my opinion, im sayin it from experience i got all the things mentioned above, i bought an mpc 100 and i think its a million times better than software and i havent even gotten in depth with it yet

qenetic|storm

ill o.g.
1d3nt1tY said:
my boy got his mpc and it took him like 2 weeks to get comfortable with it... I just do what I do at this point, my instro samplez are great for what I want.
what people fail to realize...is that you need to find something that works for you....the next man might say....this piece of gear is the best in the world...etc... but when you cop it... it doesn't fit you cuz maybe it... has too many sounds, no sounds, too many features/no features, too many menus/no menus/too big/too small......etc.....
for me... i rock the mpc2000xl... been using it for 1 year.... before that i was rocking fruity loops for about a year.......why did i make the transition?... i wasn't having fun making beats.....clicking boxes...wasn't fun for me anymore....
iam super satisfied with my mpc....yes the mpc is limited in many ways compared to fruity...but with that limitation... my even better... cuz i forced my self to be more creative....
copping equipment is all preferenced based on what your comfortable with....
example .....i don't enjoy playing basslines on the mpc pads...i rather have a keyboard and play it that way......same with coming with a melody... instead of multi-sampling a note... onto each pad... for me its best to just play the keys... and sequence the midi notes onto the mpc...
i also find it easier to lace drum patterns on the mpc.... compared to pounding piano keys.....
its not uncommon for someone to use the mpc only for drum patterns and midi sequencing from external units such as a motif... hell..... some cats would find it better to sample...from the motif.... "cook" the sample....add effects...etc....then bring it to the mpc..... for chopping....and finalized flipping....
you can do the same with your pc..... sample...directly into the mpc.... clean your sample...add necessary effects... make copies of the loop... add different effects and filters.... the bring it back to the mpc... for chopping....etc......
basically, use the resources around you....

if you have an mpc....and a pc.... then you really shouldn't be complaining...

this is basically all i use...
mpc2000xl
numark tt1600
vinyl records
cubase sx 2.0
adobe audition 1.0
recycle 2.0
antares filter
my friends roland xp-50 and mophatt

-Qenetic Storm

T

The Bastard

qenetic|storm said:
what people fail to realize...is that you need to find something that works for you....the next man might say....this piece of gear is the best in the world...etc... but when you cop it... it doesn't fit you cuz maybe it... has too many sounds, no sounds, too many features/no features, too many menus/no menus/too big/too small......etc.....
for me... i rock the mpc2000xl... been using it for 1 year.... before that i was rocking fruity loops for about a year.......why did i make the transition?... i wasn't having fun making beats.....clicking boxes...wasn't fun for me anymore....
iam super satisfied with my mpc....yes the mpc is limited in many ways compared to fruity...but with that limitation... my even better... cuz i forced my self to be more creative....
copping equipment is all preferenced based on what your comfortable with....
example .....i don't enjoy playing basslines on the mpc pads...i rather have a keyboard and play it that way......same with coming with a melody... instead of multi-sampling a note... onto each pad... for me its best to just play the keys... and sequence the midi notes onto the mpc...
i also find it easier to lace drum patterns on the mpc.... compared to pounding piano keys.....
its not uncommon for someone to use the mpc only for drum patterns and midi sequencing from external units such as a motif... hell..... some cats would find it better to sample...from the motif.... "cook" the sample....add effects...etc....then bring it to the mpc..... for chopping....and finalized flipping....
you can do the same with your pc..... sample...directly into the mpc.... clean your sample...add necessary effects... make copies of the loop... add different effects and filters.... the bring it back to the mpc... for chopping....etc......
basically, use the resources around you....

if you have an mpc....and a pc.... then you really shouldn't be complaining...

this is basically all i use...
mpc2000xl
numark tt1600
vinyl records
cubase sx 2.0
adobe audition 1.0
recycle 2.0
antares filter
my friends roland xp-50 and mophatt

-Qenetic Storm

''i wasn't having fun making beats.....clicking boxes...wasn't fun for me anymore....''

i hear that yo its not that fruity loops isnt capable of makin ill beats cuz u can its just u have to do a lot of trial and error with the drums rather than just playing it how u want it,and thats just not right

Complexxx

Hip Hop Apprentice
ill o.g.
inspectah wu said:
''i wasn't having fun making beats.....clicking boxes...wasn't fun for me anymore....''

i hear that yo its not that fruity loops isnt capable of makin ill beats cuz u can its just u have to do a lot of trial and error with the drums rather than just playing it how u want it,and thats just not right

What can I say.......spoken like a champ Wu.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Hey, i gotta quick question tho...
Say yer usin a mpc60 and you want to chop yer samples on tha computer using recycle, etc....How do you convert tha files to snd. files???.....They do need to be in that format to work in tha 60 correct?

Steezo