MPC Question

brooklynstyle

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Aight people I got some really very dumb question:
How exactly do you use an MPC to make beats? I never used one but everybody is like MPC this MPC that... How do you load samples, how do you track the beat, I just wanna know how this whole MPC deal works. And then how do I export beats off of the MPC?
Holla back yall
thanx

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
It all depends which MPC you get, either the 60, 1000, 2000, 3000, or 4000. I have a 1000 which is geared to use with the PC. You hit the pads with your fingers and each pad has a sound/sample assigned to them either a drum, piano, loop, etc... As far as loading and tracking a beat its best that you find and read a manual somewhere on the internet and figure that out yourself, its hard to explain that process to someone who never worked with an mpc before. Just do more researhing yourself and it will all make since to you, trust me its not rocket science :)

brooklynstyle

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I saw some videos how they work with roland mv 8000 but this shit is too expensive for me, so I think I'ma get mpc1000. do yall think its worth it. i mean the whole mpc deal seems more natural to me for making beats i just dont know if the mpc 1000 is worth it. holla backOzmosis
thank yall

one more thing: i got a whole bunch of wav samples on my computer. Can I upload them on the mpc? How do i export a song to the computer from te mpc? Do I need some interface?

ill o.g.
If you wanna be able to put your beat from your MPC onto a cd or whatever, just record the from the main outs to the input of your computer. Press rec on comp and play on MPC, then when the beat is done stop recordin and burn it onto a cd.

I think the MPC is worht it. Its got a lot more features then your gonna believe at first. But that would be a real good first piece of equipment.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
The mpc1k is defintly worth it and since you got a lot of .wav files on your PC you can easily transfer them over to the mpc1k and assign them to pads. The only thing you will need is a usb chord to connect from your pc to the mpc, to transfer the wav files over. I know what your going thru. I was in the same boat as you were 10 months ago, and I did my research and just went ahead and bought the cheapest mpc. At first when I got it, I didnt understand how it works. BUt with practice and patience I got the hang of it, now I cant do a beat without it. Is there a Gutuir Center of Sam Ash close to where you live? Im sure they have one of the mpc's sitting out for people to try.

"The OZ"

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Word ?

well do you recommend mpc 2k over the 1k ?

cuz to me..imma cop the zip disk for mpc 2k if i get it..so it can work with my zip drive ony m comp.

tell me about the 2

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
DaSon said:
Word ?

well do you recommend mpc 2k over the 1k ?

cuz to me..imma cop the zip disk for mpc 2k if i get it..so it can work with my zip drive ony m comp.

tell me about the 2

I dont have a 2k but its somewhat of a step up from the 1k. The 2k is what a large majority of hip-hop producers use now. The 2k has timestrech, more outs to connect to a hardware mixer to contral seperate tracks, and you can do more .wav editing on the 2k then with the 1k. There are a lot of post on here comparing the 1k to the 2k, you just have to decide what your needs are. Before I got my 1k I had a ton of .wav editing software so I didnt really need that type of functionality so I went with the 1k.

brooklynstyle

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
word word, same here ozmosis. i got a ton of software cuz till now I been making beats on my PC only. I got them sound forge, reason 2.5, sonar 3, acid loops n all that but the only thing I dont like about using software to produce is that it's kinna artificial to me. it just dont seem natural yamean? I did my research too, I read hell lot of info on MPC's n shit and it seems if u got a computer and all the software u better go with the 1k cuz it will complement what you already got - all te editing and tracking software. So time stretching and reverse playback dont matter to me cuz i can do all that in sound forge. Fuck it i been reversing snares and drum kicks since day one (to get that missy elliott flavor).
Ozmosis, mad love for u dogg. Thanks a lot for all your help. Can you gimme a link where i can check out your beats? I wanna hear what can be done with an mpc. I bet the feel of the beat would be more natural but i wanna check it out for myself.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
www.soundclick.com/toproductions

I really just started making beats seriously 6 months ago when I got my mpc. The first two beats are my latest which are my best. The last beat on the page is the first beat I ever done, and all the sounds came with the mpc. So you can see how my beats progressed from the first to last. Its a lot of stuff to learn but fun.. Holla back bk-stlye when you check them out.

"The Oz"

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yeah imma cop the 2k ..just in case im somewhere and cant have my comp with me

can u add on a CD RW to a mpc 2k ?

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
DaSon said:
yeah imma cop the 2k ..just in case im somewhere and cant have my comp with me

can u add on a CD RW to a mpc 2k ?

I dont think you can add on a cd rw, ive never heard of anyone doing that before. That would be something to look into, but if I had to put my money on it I would say no.

brooklynstyle

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
What up Oz man, i heard your tracks, u got some hot shit on there man. I'm feelin the experiment and your jam session the most man. I'm loving your panning on the experiment. We should collaborate or something, do some work together yamean.
Holla back

massikrbeats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
helix said:
Go to "Sessions With MPC2000XL & Triton" on the bottom of the page and play each one. It will give you an idea.
http://samplekings.com/skings_tips2.htm

And heres the 2000XL manual:
http://www.akaipro.co.jp/global/archiveOS/mpc2x114.zip

I couldn't have posted better links. If you go to the Sample Kings Site, try ordering their introductional MPC 2000xl DVD if you can. It's really good and easy to understand. If you don't get enough from it, it will definitely make you want to learn more. That's where you would turn and visit the akai site to download the manual or use the link in this thread.

The manual is very intersting and easy to read. There's mad stuff on the net about mpcs, for thise starting out and even professionals. You'll be fine.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
brooklynstyle said:
What up Oz man, i heard your tracks, u got some hot shit on there man. I'm feelin the experiment and your jam session the most man. I'm loving your panning on the experiment. We should collaborate or something, do some work together yamean.
Holla back

HaHa, thats wild that those are the two you like. "The Experiment" is exactly what the titile says, I was just trying to get something down on the mpc1k after workin with the basic features of the 1k for a while. And "Jam Session" to me was my attempt at sampling, it came out pretty whack in my opinion. But you have to be your worst critic.

brooklynstyle

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
thats cool tho cuz they sound raw yamean, u got nice vibe there. thats what i'm liking. Now i dont say they kanye west tight but raw tight like something mos def would rap over or something. i'm feeling certain parts.
Same with me i never totally like my beats. there's always something that aint quite right and sometimes this is bad cuz u work on a beat for weeks and u cant improve it really - just make it worse

young_keyz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I got a mv and use to own a mpc 2kxl. Much respect for the mpc 2kxl. The reason I got the mv 8000 was cause I wanted to invest in the future. I got the mpc about 2 or 3 years ago(2002-3) used. In about 2 more years the mpc will be 10 years old. I just wanted something I could have around for a long time out the gate and not be to outdated to upgrade the parts(its hard to even find the 8 outs or memory for the 2k). The mv is the most complete package out there. I can take the mv by itself anywhere and have everything I need to complete a beat from start to finish inside(just add a midi controler and a monitor if you want. Now to some that's not a must if you have a computer and software but if your goal is to make hot beats and then trying to shop them, what's the point of a computer or buying one later on. The mv can do everything the 2k xl can do but can the 2k do the same. The mv isn't really better than the 2kxl, but it do have a lot of better feature for the money and to me that's what I also look at when I invest in gear. All of these machines are about what you the person can do with it so no machine is really better then the next. What I have learn from buying gear is to never buy something to sale later on. If you feel that you can't see yourself using the mpc 1k or 2k for ten years then don't get it cause your most likely be putting it up for sale in 2 or 3 years if not one. Another reason I got the mv is every big producer is known for his goto tool(just blaze mpc 4000, dre mpc 3000, kanye2000/ars 10,timbo ars10 ,neptunes korgsomething/ars ,premo mpc 60, scott storch mpc 2000xl, madlib sp303, pete rock mpc/sp 1200. As of right now no producer I respect is using this thing. I want to be different and I want to go to the left when everybody is going the right and that's how new shit comes about so I got the mv 8000. Any questions?