MPC questions...

BobCarter

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
This topic has most likely been covered quite a few times, but I still am going to go ahead and ask a question.

My college sent me a check for 3500 in the mail randomly last week from a tuition refund. I was thinking about getting an mpc because the 8 pads on my axiom aren't enough and i think as a beatmaker it would be a good idea to become familiar with an mpc, being the important and basically essential piece of equipment that it is.

What is the difference between the MPCs and which in your opinion should i buy?

Elgen

The Moose With The Most.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
The MPC is not essential. Beatmaking is not about getting an MPC and learning it so you can begin to make "pro" beats, it's about finding something YOU'RE comfortable with, something you can create with.

My advice to you is to look around, find some music stores, try and test drive a few things and then make up your mind. There's a whole world out there besides the MPC line of products.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
Agreed with the above posts ^

I think it would be a good addition. Honestly, you should just get which ever is in your price range. All the MPC's do exactly the same thing. Older models like the 2000 may be a little more limited (like scuzi drives i think) but still remains a favorite to those who already own it. . . feel me?

MPC1000 and 2500 have third party Operating Systems giving them a grandeur scale of functionality, and in simultaneously making the MPC1000 a (more)portable version of the 2500 with the same features.

For 3grand, I'd honestly just get an MPC1000+JJOS for under a grand, and have 2 more G's for more gear or a computer.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
The MPC is a great tool and prefered by many beatmakers for a reason but its not needed to make hot beats. Start with whats economical, build your skills and then cop the more advanced/expensive setup once you know your in it for the long haul.

T

The Arkitekt

Put some samples on an SD card, bring it to GC, Sam Ash, etc, say your thinking of buying an MPC and they will let you demo it. Just fuck around with it for like a half hour so you can get the feel of it and see if you like it. If you thinkin bout getting an older model tho, idk, that would be hard to demo it unless you know someone with one.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
How are you planning to use it?

In my opinion, there are plenty of better sequencing environments to work within. I usually work around composed melodies and rarely use the mpc to sequence tracks, using it primarily for drums and chopping up melodies. I agree with Everyone about it is nice but not necessary at all.

Eventually you will be able to master and utilize whatever environment you practice in, so id determine what you would use it for: drums, melody, sequencing or whatever. Then go to a store like guitar center to demo it for drums, mel, or seq... that will give you a good idea.

Do the same with the software.

I originally bought the mpc1k because a part of me thought my production was lacking the equipment, couldn't have been more wrong. It was me.. not the mpc

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
One thing I forgot to mention in my first post was to understand what "method or platform" works best for you first before buying a piece of equipment of software...that way you already have helped narrow down what you are looking for.

For example, if you plan to compose synth parts etc - your going to need more then just an MPC.
This may or may not be within your budget.
You also have to decide whether or not the MPC is what you would like to be your main (master) sequencer or not in a situation like this.

Or maybe you compose better "visually", in a linear fashion?...In this case, a software setup would be more beneficial to your growth as a beatmaker.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
"3500 in the mail randomly last week from a tuition refund"

Unless you are done with school use that money for other college expenses. Use Reason for FL or what ever is cheap until you have your degree and a good job. Then if you still want an MPC save and buy one.

T

The Arkitekt

If you dont buy and use a mpc then you will never be an actual hiphop producer.

In fact buy everything Akia sells or your a geek (as told to me by an Akia salesperson)

****Akai

gballin123

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
If you dont buy and use a mpc then you will never be an actual hiphop producer.

In fact buy everything Akia sells or your a geek (as told to me by an Akia salesperson)

Lol those guys will do anything to sell something. Definately all preference my man. Workflow is much easier on software to me but hardware feel and sound just feels better to me.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
It def comes down to preference becuz I can successfully work on both Software or Hardware but I easily prefer Hardware 1st...For me, its the oldschool tape machine feel of the transport and the nobrainer operation of a device like the MPC to make beats on, its just too easy....

But then with software theres infinite possibilities with processing, synthesis, etc, especially combined with a decent controller setup...but it still doesnt have the same feel and focus that a device like the MPC provides so thats why I lean towards Hardware personally.

In the past, I found I had to stop myself from composing visually versus aurally time and time again when I was making music on the computer. This wasnt entirely a bad thing, but in my case - I prefer to create with my ears as my #1 focus rather then my eyes, so the MPC was a no brainer.