MPC X Special Edition

• beat this! voting starts in...

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
There was buzz recently about something new, well, it's the SE version of the X:

The standalone instrument is built around a quad-core processor and equipped with 4GB of RAM, the MPC X SE delivers more sampling power than ever before, boasting faster loading times for instruments, samples and projects, whilst 48GB of internal storage offers increased space for projects, sequences and drum programs. The unit also features a built-in 2in/4-out MIDI interface, allowing integration with external keyboards, synths and sound modules.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
It definitely looks like the MPC Renaissance. I'm still good with my MPC One but it definitely looks cool.
Yeah because of the color scheme, I at first thought it was the Ren re-issued or something. But the specs look good, like the X has been bumped up somewhat. If I win the lotto....

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Cats in this group I'm in been saying this shit is a cash grab by Akai.

Personally, I liken all of these newer joints to having FL in a box, and if I wanted that, I'd just stick to using FL on a PC.

Delta_Nine

Illa la muzika!!!
I agree with konceptg on the cash grab part. The mpcone is like squeezing blood from a stone because for a few hundred more dollars you can get a mpclive. But for some, getting one of these is worth it imo. Affordable. Chopping samples is a breeze. Filters are great imo. (Not the classic s950 filters but it gets the job done). So in my case I got one of these and and happy with it. The stock filters work great and it's a breath of fresh air..... for me. I feel the hate (just my opinion) or disdain, comes from hiphop purist who feel the 2000 xl or old ass mpc60 is God tier. Like it's the way to make boom Bap. Yeah, daw in a box, I agree. But I feel this is an aim for entry level beat makers interested in hardware. I mean, why would you go from logic or any other daw, and go and cop a 2000? Learn one of these machines and cop an old unit later.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Oh for sure it's a cash grab just like most of the gear and software today. I always think of older gear that came out and had maybe a couple of OS updates and that was it.

For example, with NI the original Maschine MK1 was really good but the MK2 was a definite improvement and should have been their first release. But then there was Maschine Studio and Mikro which were nice but definitely not needed.

So the same can be said for Akai. The MPC X looks really good to begin with so issuing a special edition is nice of course, but again, not needed.

As we all know, it doesn't matter what you use.... I've seen videos of guys using an MPC 60 or SP 1200 and make shitty beats.

So yeah.

unaufadox

ILLIEN
There was buzz recently about something new, well, it's the SE version of the X:

Maaaan for a while I was a part of some MPC Groups on FB and was really thinking about getting one of these. After reading a post on here just now about a guy who was selling most of his gear, then @Fade speaking about simplifying as well, I don't know...I like the history and idea of an MPC but I am a child of Logic Pro. Learned on it at college and have never deviated in any serious way. Do I NEED an MPC? Will I make full use of it?? I have faders, nobs and pads on my midi controller (axiom pro 61, vintage, legend, needs a service asap) which are great to touch. Plan on getting an ssl aws 948 for my studio for my mixing (and feel of plugins on hardware) but do I need an MPC for my drums...plus do I need the learning curve.

The idea feels so good though man hahahaha 'I neeeeds boss.....neeeds it real bad' hahaha

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Peep on YT Marlow Digs and Very Sick Beats @unaufadox videos where they literally ask "do you need an MPC in 2023"

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
I "grew up" with FL studio, from like age 13 to 17ish like many. Then in college, my girlfriend at the time got me an MV-8000. It was cheaper than the MPC at the time but had more features. This was back in mid 2000s.

I was so used to software that I spent about 1 year skipping class trying to learn everything and honestly looking back I think I made maybe 1 or 2 beats I was proud of, and of course I still needed to export to a DAW. A little after that is when I moved around, sold my gear, and didn't get back into beatmaking until recently.

And because of that experience, I decided to go with FL again with an MPK controller. I'm looking at the Akai Fire grid controller too because I think that would work well with my workflow.

Obviously everyone is different, but I found the software to hardware transition to be very hard. Maybe it would be different now but I honestly just don't have the energy and I'd rather just focus on making beats.

unaufadox

ILLIEN
This is it @Dusty B I want to make music not learn how to use a bit of kit BUT at the same time the attraction is real. @OGBama put me onto a couple of videos which I checked out. They made me think I’m great where I am. I’m more focused on getting my bass playing into my production in a smooth way (so far it seems when I reach for it, that’s it I record then I noodle a bit and it’s almost a rap for that segment...like, before lunch). I also want the midi from my bass playing which is proving a bit tricky thus far. Logic...can’t do it. Jamorgin is not working well with my bass guitar...work in progress.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Stick @Dusty B with the MPK. Akai is cash grabbing with everything else.

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
Stick @Dusty B with the MPK. Akai is cash grabbing with everything else.
I think I'm going to try the Akai Fire controller, seems like a cool and efficient way to keep the familiar FL workflow but get rid of some of the annoying mouse clicks. My PC / office is also where I work all day. If I get it I'll let you know how it is. But yeah of course Akai's grid controller is more $$ than others.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
If/when @Dusty B you get it do a review type vid. Guitar Center has tons of used Akai Fire controllers so you may wanna go that route.

Last edited:

OGBama

Big Clit Energy

unaufadox

ILLIEN
I’d not seen this before. They REALLY went for the jugular of FL users. It’s the interface as hardware. Well played Akai.

SSL did a similar thing with the AWS 948. You can have all plugins and software parameters come up on all 24 channels of the console. That’s magic for those who want to ‘feel’ like they are actually adjusting the ratio on a compressor or the threshold of a gate.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I @Fade ain't cared to mandatorily write 1000 word anything since my High School/College era.