MPC X Special Edition

• beat this! voting starts in...

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
I’d not seen this before. They REALLY went for the jugular of FL users. It’s the interface as hardware. Well played Akai.

SSL did a similar thing with the AWS 948. You can have all plugins and software parameters come up on all 24 channels of the console. That’s magic for those who want to ‘feel’ like they are actually adjusting the ratio on a compressor or the threshold of a gate.
Yeah, I'm noticing that I mostly use my MPK to sound out drum patterns, supporting melodies, etc. Sometimes I record them and edit/quantize, but sometimes I just click in the step sequencer to map out what I played on my controller. 50/50, depends on the complexity and just how I'm feeling, so that's why I think the Fire might work for me if I have it right next to my MPK vs going back and forth between the mouse/keyboard.

Has anyone bought used gear from Guitar Center? Would you recommend to save $50 or just worth buying new to avoid hassels?

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I "grew up" with FL studio, from like age 13 to 17ish like many. Then in college, my girlfriend at the time got me an MV-8000. It was cheaper than the MPC at the time but had more features. This was back in mid 2000s.

I was so used to software that I spent about 1 year skipping class trying to learn everything and honestly looking back I think I made maybe 1 or 2 beats I was proud of, and of course I still needed to export to a DAW. A little after that is when I moved around, sold my gear, and didn't get back into beatmaking until recently.

And because of that experience, I decided to go with FL again with an MPK controller. I'm looking at the Akai Fire grid controller too because I think that would work well with my workflow.

Obviously everyone is different, but I found the software to hardware transition to be very hard. Maybe it would be different now but I honestly just don't have the energy and I'd rather just focus on making beats.
Im the same, I find interuptions to my workflow a killer to my productivity. When I mess around with sound design I lose sight of my original intentions and end up somewhere I had no intention of being.

VVS

Banned
Battle Points: 133
There's no advantage to using an MPC versus a PC in modern times. MPC will lose in just about every single category. I view it as a nice toy to have just like a physical synth keyboard or any other groove box. My next purchase will be a mixing console. Thinking of an SSL UC1 + UF8 or Softube Console 1 Mk III.

Last edited:

OGBama

Big Clit Energy

members online