Mpc

C

Carpe Diem

Ok, ive heard a lot about MPCs, and definately need some hardware, but this may sound silly, wat exactly do they do???

Im guessing theyre samplers, but are they used to make beats too? Can u link with Reason, or are they good nuff for whole tracks?!?

Wat bout the ASR that Stoupe uses??? Think its the ASR-10...

Hit me up

Carpe

PS - Soz bout my stupidness!!!

***EDIT*** ---> What about the ASR-X?!?

This any good?!? Seen it for $102, worth getting?!?

Get back with some info on these pieces of equipment!!!

To the mod ---> Soz bout posting this in wrong area!!!!

Carpe

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
MPC is a sampler, with pads, think of it as a drum machine that instead of the same sounds you can load your own drum sounds in it.....dope huh?.....also in addition to that you load or sample any instrument or Phrase from a record or other source in there then save it to a memory card, floppy, cdrom or hard drive and load it again, you can have custom programs you create that's where you make a drumset and then save it and when you load it next time each pad has the sounds you want to use on it.....I have heard beats on the ASRX it's dope too...there's a lot of possibilities....I think you might be able to sync with Reason I never tried that though.....I used it with Fruity loops and Logic and it works great......main thing is you gonna hear people say you don't need it....well if you eQ and tweak the drums thru a mixer and also have 8 individual outputs you can come close on some other gear and software but ask any producer that has made some hit records......that has a real studio setup....they will have one of these and just ask them why (Your drums will knock and punch thru the mix).........I had the MpC2000 fully loaded to make it equivalent to the 2kXL and I currently have the ol skool MpC3000....there's a lot of reading you can do on it.....also try and go out to a music store they might have one you can demo to see if it's for you......they have and MPD16 which you can hook up to your computer and it works almost identical as far as pad response and functions....and you can create and control your drum patterns in reason or other software.

C

Carpe Diem

Aight cool, thanx for that...

Im stuck in 2 minds whether or not to get hardware...im using reason now, and unsure whether or not hardware gonna be a worthy addition to the studio...

And are these things hard to use?!? I aint got much comp knowledge... lol

Carpe

spin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i am saving my money for an MPC right now also... i am on reason too...

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
Good shit BigD, but also let him know that the MPC is a very good sequencer as well and im just messin with the mpc1000.

C

Carpe Diem

Okie Dokie, cheers for all the help guys...

BigD, nice lil post, ima consider all this ish, still dunno whether to get one...

Ill prob post up again about the topic when i get more dough, closer to the time of purchase...

CarpeD

SketchUp

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Producer X said:
Check out the Roland MV 8000.

by the way, i don't reckon this is good advice. I was readin the just blaze forum n he said he wanted 2 throw his MV 8000 out the window. sounds bad, but it has good features like an automatic mastering tool and a cd burner so.... i aint so sure.just blaze has done some good shit in the past.

peace

brooklynstyle

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
now u dont listen to just blaze and check out the mv 8000 for yourself. Here's a link with videos: http://www.rolandus.com/products/details.asp?CatID=4&SubCatID=0&ProdID=MV-8000. The MV is the roland's equivalent to mpc 4000. I havent fucked with any of them so i dont know which one has a better feel and all that but if i had bank i'd definitely cop the mv. Btw JD uses the mv. As far as samples are concerned the mv works on the gigo principle - garbage in garbage out. if u load up your grandma farting u gonn hear your grandma farting from the mv, not hova spitting...

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
from what ive gathered through reseach...here is the rundown

mpc 4k- pros...much better sampler, way more filters (192 ..damn thats alot) and tighter sequencer, comes with more memory and options out of the box as supposed to expanding the system, 24 bit sampling,

cons......the effects are crap, mastering and audio burining doesnt work,

roland mv 8000- pros cheaper than 4k, much better effects, auto timestrech, mastering, and audio burning works good...compuetr style linear sequencng for those used to computer sequencing..

cons...only 16 bit as opposed to 24... not a Full featured sampler like the 4k although u defintely have all the essentials for making hip hop.. only 2 outs to begin with..

im gettin a 4k after careful research .. what did it for me is when i went to sam ash and tried playin the mv 8000 .. i duunno to me i just felt more comfortable on the mpc and i lluuuuuvv filtering and cant wait to play with all 192 of them..lol.... but to each his own

MadManBeats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 6
I got an mpc4000...i pretty much run everything i have through the mpc and into my motu828.. Its definately worth it...and as far as sound quality, its official...holmzinis right about the effects and shit....but it makes my triton sounds soo much iller and gangsta sounding....anyway...when u sample into it its kind of a hassle cuttin it up and this and that....but its 24 bit so thats a wrap....

brooklynstyle

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
nice work holmzini, this is a very nice comparison. Both pieces have nice feature n u definitely can do crazy shit on both of them. It is a matter which one u feel better. the 24 bitrate is cool and probably necessary for studio work but only pros can detect the difference so it dont really matter, at least to me. I dont use so many filters so i wont care to have 192. I use effects though, so I'd like to have that. But regardless what u make your beats with u'll have to go to the studio and mix it properly, so when it comes to all these touch ups it dont matter if the mv and mpc have them.

SpinDoctor

The Lovable Rogue
ill o.g.
u know on the mpc1000 can u do what that guy was doing with the mv 8000 where he jus chopped up that drum loop and made a kit out of it?

P

Pinnacle

I have an Mpc 4k for about a year now; It does damm near everything you could need. The features can be intimidating at first but through repeatitive reading and playing around, the power of the mpc is revealed. Once you get the hang of it, making a beat is a snap. The effects could be better but if thats a problem you can kick the sample out from the MPC to your desktop or laptop to Akai's propriotory software named "Akaisys" which is basically a desktop emulator of whats on your MPC's Harddrive. In other words, you can export the sample to your wave editor in your computer and do you editing then send it back. It has a very powerful seqencer similar to sequencing on your desktop software program. It also has two midi inputs and four outs along with dedicated turntable plug and mic input. You can sample everything from a cd to even your own beat you just created. The nice thing about this machine is that the as more software updates come the more featues that are added and enhanced along with bug fixes. My experiece with this piece of hardware so far has been great with unlimited potential especially being that it comes with a pentium processor, 256mb expandable to 512mb, 60 gig hd, 56 bit effects, 128 sequences can run one time each with 128 tracks, realtime adjustment of LFO, Pitch, etc.. using Q link knobs, mute/pan/vol automation. To put it simply this IT'S A BEAST HANDS DOWN. I like it because it gives me a hands on involment in my music with the buttons / knobs / pads.

members online