Mpc1k / Keyboard Question

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
so i spent some time today hooking up a keyboard that i am borrowing from my friend for a while untill i can aford one. i got all the midi cables and settings hooked up correctly, thanks to the manual.(!!)

anyway, my question is this:

say i record a bassline played by the keyboard on the mpc, using the keyboards sounds. then i want to use the keybaord in to add something else, maybe some strings or a pad. when i change to the new instrument, obviously, it changes the instrument from the bassline too.

is there a way to use multipple instruments from the keybaord into the mpc?

misscc803

Miss C.C.
ill o.g.

Depends on the type of keyboard it is. But follow my guide below.

Connecting a Keyboard to the MPC:

Keyboard Settings:
MIDI OUT to MPC MIDI IN
Local Control OFF
Make sure its in Multi-Mode
Route Audio Outs(headphone out if stereo out isnt available) to your Mixer

MPC Settings:
MIDI OUT to Keyboard MIDI IN
Turn DRUM to MIDI 1A or 1B(most likely 1A)
Route Audio OUTS(stereo outs or headphone out) to your mixer

Cables Required: MIDI(2) and Audio Cables(depends on how many outs the gear has)

Example:
Say you have a bass on the keyboard and it is on Channel 2(track 2 for some keyboards with onboard sequencers)

Then the MPC should be set to MIDI:2A

So basically whatever the sound in the keyboard is the number should be the same on the MPC.

Channel 1 or Track 1=MIDI 1A
Channel 2 or Track 2=MIDI 2A

ect....

Real simple and easy.

Nicole
CLICK HERE TO JOIN MY BLOG IF U NEED HELP WITH MUSIC.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
also keep in mind that the midi cable handles 16 channels. So you are capible to using 16 different instruments from your keyboard.

on the lower-right of your MPC screen you will see "midi" and below it will say "off" You can change the "off" value to 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A, ect.. and each one of those will be a different channel from the keyboard. Next you will have to change the channel on the keyboard to match the corresponding value on the MPC: 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A, ect.. . That way you can set a trumpet on 1A, synth on 2A, rhoads on 3A, bass on 4A and so forth. This is really the extent of my help because my keyboards are straight midi and do not contain sounds, the setup I described is what I use when using my midi keyboards with a Virtual Instrument or Reason with the MPC1k. much love and good luck,
-chrono t.

members online