mpc2000xl users - what other hardware equipment do u cats combine ur mpcs with?

TachyonFresh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i finally got me a job and hopefully in a few months ill have enough moolah for an used mpc (hehe, im glad u can edit shit in waveform)....i was also reading reviews on harmony central, and its intersting what some of those cats combine their mpcs with, and i would like to know what kinda mpc setups do u guys have?

p.s. sorry if this thread was already done

BeAtArKiTeK

"Only God Can Judge Me"
ill o.g.
the next thing that you should get is a turntable if you do not already have one so that you can sample vinyl either that or a external zip drive to save your beats.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
MPC+ synth or soundmodule = killer combo

I use a motif rack myself,
so basically my set up is a MPC 2000xl, motif rack, yahahma PSR for a controller
shit it ill, it has helped me take my production to the next level

it depends what u wanna do though if you wanna sample u should get some turn tables. I dont need em casue i dont sample

class...

x-squizet

Roll Tide Roll
ill o.g.
when i get my mpc-2000xl i will be mpc+eps-16+ or asr 10+turntable+a shit load of records= killer combo then later on get a motif rack

Tim D

Bitchn' Bout IRS
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
when i first got my MPC all i needed was a record player, but a year later my boy brought me a triton that we use that works out nicely too, so whichever u r more comftroably with

S

StreetLife

i have an MPC2000 can i use cool edit pro for the samples

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I have an mpc to the midipatchbay, I dunno, there's like 18 ( Im not counting the shit )devices hooked up to it excluding the midi I/O towards the RME.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
Formant024 said:
I have an mpc to the midipatchbay, I dunno, there's like 18 ( Im not counting the shit )devices hooked up to it excluding the midi I/O towards the RME.

Hey formant that MIDI patch bay allows u to hook up more midi devices to the 2xl??? Casue i wanna have 2 sound modules on the A&B ports(all 16 channels each) and still be able to sync to cubase. I know in a earler post u said keep both soundmodules on the same port. (which i was planning to do) BUt i was just curious

class...

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
well, the Roland A880 which has 8 out and 8 in which you can link to eachother, so you can say input 1 ( mpc 1 ) connects to any of the 8 outs. This switching of ports can be done via midi messages ( they're programs just like synths ). So on any of the 8 out I can place a chain with up to 16 chnls. But now you also understand that your problem cant be fixed by using the patchbay. Because I still have a limit on the mpc of 32 chnls, on the pc I have 3 midi outs ( a midiman 4x4 ) going to the patchbay. In this way I can use all that is hooked up to the patchbay, the mpc itself is just limited to 32. So I have one mpc in sync ( in and out ) running along with pc and the other is going to the input simply being a MPD16. Then there's a Juno106 from the vintage corner ( is also a midi chain but with cv to the old synths ) going to the input and a CS1x on the desk as controller for logic scores also going to input. It's quite the network hehe

But I have no piece of multitimbral gear that uses 16 chnls in total because that's rediculous and second it kills the performance. If I were you I'd use 8 chnls or less from both modules, link them in the same chain on a single midi output from the mpc so you c an leave one output/input there for sync to pc. So one module simply runns midichnls 1 to 8, and the other one only responds to 9 to 16.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Well they're great when having a shitload midi I/O gear, it's not only the synth modules, but I got fx gear like Lexicons, Pod etc that resond to midi aswell. In logic I can create an interface for each module to make it interact as if it was a plugin. But to have the computer respond or read/record midimessages when altering from the hardware piece itself you need an input to record. Mostly you have hardly any room for it because you dont have enough inputs to record output. Like most modules dont have parameter knobs you can record ( called rotary encoders, a knob that sends out midi signals ), so you dont need to use the output, you chain them by the thru port. But my virus has over 32 knobs and buttons that need to have the output recorded, so when I tweak, all the knob movement will be recorded in midi event messages. A midi thru port can be considered an output, but if there's one machine you would like to use as I described than it needs the midi output instead of the midi thru port.

Hope this confuses you even more hehehe.

stormelements

Beats That Knock
ill o.g.
There are many options you can get and you'll probably have all the equipment mentioned in this thread within the next to years...cause you'll be a addictied in buying equipment..lol (as most producers are) I got the MPC2000XL, Motif, and 2 sound modules.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Yeah man imma old midi head and had gear b4 all of this Software was available and done had 6 devices hooked up going into the old Skool cakewalk and recorded in...you gonna get lots of headaches but fun from it once you understand how to use it all together...I feel like like a scientist and don't always make the beats for the fire but just to experiment.....I don had every piece you would think hooked up...
SP12
SP1200
S950
MP7
Triton X
Triton LE
Emu Mo Phatt
Motif (2yr ol skool classic)
RS5 roland
RS50 roland
RS7000
SP808
Fantom S
Sax...I play but never used it in any beats....thatz crazy
I love Roland sounds
but bottom line Imma cosign Storm about the addiction aspect....
sound modules is definitely cool to collect and have but for tha newbies that gear is just a beginning and it will not make you any better than than the next...its an edge to software but you gotta know how to pull all of that shidd together to make it sound good..........I have enuff dealing with software and hardware and some of these new plugins.....is HOlding their own against a lot of the expensive gear and modules.......good luck in tryna find your own setup that you know and fits you.....I am just getting settled in months later on my config and still aint totally in it....imma add 1 sound module the XL1 and thats it for me ........For now.....LOL

DMiddlez

ill o.g.
with my mpc I use an external sampler (weak esi-2000) and I record into protools. I dont have a record player but if i sample i will sample off of cds. I have audio out from my computer going into the MPC. im looking into gettng a better sampler though..something i the aka series...

ed_sizzahanz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
DJ Setup hooked into MPC 2000xl (w/Hard Drive, Zip drive, and CD-Rom drive) , Motif 6 MIDI'd into A channel, Planet Phatt and Korg MS2000r MIDI'd into channel B.

Depends on what you like better, sampled beats or original comps, will decide on your gear. You can get a dedicated sampler and a module/keyboard or a couple of modules/keyboards. Cause of the new sample laws, I'm starting to do more original comps, but that's up to you.

You're definitely gonna need a turntable and mixer/preamp first, then possibly a CD Rom drive, then worry about your other gear.

trinidad

The Last B-Boy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Mpc

I got a n MPc 2000xl with a trition Le a 1200 turntable a pioneer cd ish turntable that scrathes a yamaha 16 channel mixer and a Mbox i usally cut my samples in soundforge and do some stuff with Fruity loops

members online